“Just what we needed”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45
Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We booked this hotel as it was close to the location of my Aunt's 75th birthday party. The room was spacious and we all slept well. My sister was given a room on the same floor so our 2 families were in close proximately. The kids loved this. Breakfast was ok there were some hot choices, lots of continental options but basic compared to Premier Inn/Ibis. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel was chic & clean. The bathroom was modern and well presented. Thanks for making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Danielle1R
Samantha J, Deputy Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, we are glad to see you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will choose us next time on your visit to Birmingham

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stay in Birmingham on a regular basis with my work. I always pick this hotel to stay at. The staff are all lovely and friendly. The hotel has ample parking at a very reasonable price. The only criticism I have is the way the prices go up if a concert of magnitude is on, the room priced doubled.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Samantha J, Deputy Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Nice to see you are a regular customer to our Hotel. However i am sorry to see that you are paying different rates each time you come. Please can you see reception on your next visit to discuss this. See you soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel was booked through Amazon. An amazing deal of £99 for a family of four, for one night, including breakfast AND free entrance to W Midlands safari park. Unbeatable.
The hotel was very clean and neat for a budget price. The bathroom seemed new. Very impressed as don't normally stay in lower end hotels. My husband and I went with our two grand daughters. We had a double bed in the room with a double sofa bed for the children. Full air conditioning in the room and immaculate linen. Good breakfast choices.
Staff friendly and helpful.
Just one word of warning, the safari park is a good three quarters of an hour away, had expected it to be near the hotel but as I say it was an unbeatable offer.
Would definitely recommend as a base, very near Birmingham city centre with it's own attractions.

Room Tip: All double glazed, we were on the road side of hotel and no noise
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Pauline F
Samantha J, deputymanager@hiex-birmingham.co.uk at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you Pauline for taking the time to write a review, The Amazon deal is very popular at the moment with lots of families staying here, We like to think that all the team make all our guests stay a welcoming one along with keeping the Hotel spotless.
Hope to see you again when next visiting Birmingham.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff, one had a very nice badge, with her name on.

The room was spotless, and had a shower big enough for 3 Alsatians.

If I could change anything I would have a massage chair in the corner of the room because my back is killing me, honestly.

Stayed: July 2014
Samantha J, deputymanager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay. All our staff pride themselves in their friendly customer service. Hope to see you again next time you visit Birmingham.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We had a package deal which included the safari park and one nights stay at this hotel. The place was fantastic. Recently re decorated it felt more like 4 star. The room was lovely and so was the huge shower. Great service and a lovely selection for breakfast. Highly recommend.

Stayed: July 2014
Samantha J, deputymanager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for your 5* review, and may i say a honour that you think we are more like a 4* Hotel. Glad you found the shower to your liking they are popular with all our guests, Also that our buffet breakfast was ample enough for you.Hope to see you again next time you visit Birmingham.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've stayed at this hotel a couple of times while attending events at the NEC. The first time was out of necessity, as all the hotels closer to the NEC were full, but now I choose to stay in this hotel as it is half the price - less than, sometimes - of the hotels on the NEC site or those closer to the airport. As I have my car with me anyway, the 20 minute drive from the NEC/airport isn't a problem, although the A45 can get pretty busy at peak times. I've also stayed in both the two main on-site NEC hotels, and I prefer the rooms here. The lobby is perhaps less swanky, but I know where in the hotel I'll be spending more time!

The rooms have free wi-fi (which was perfectly fast on both occasions I've stayed), the bed is clean, large and comfortable and the bathroom comparable with more expensive hotels if you don't need a bath tub (i.e. there is only a large walk-in shower).

As with all hotels, it depends on what you're after. This isn't a 'destination' hotel and the area is not going to win any awards, but when all you need is a comfortable hotel, with clean, well-appointed rooms (for the price), this one is great, and surpassed my expectations.

One small point; in my case at least, when I booked online, it charged me £5 for overnight parking to be included. However, had I just paid for the car park on arrival it only would have cost me £3, which seems odd.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Samantha J, deputy manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for the 5* rating and great to read you are a returning guest. Our team work hard to keep the Hotel in pristine condition and they pride themselves in their friendlyand helpful attitude towards guests. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We booked the Cadbury World package with this particular hotel as I left it a bit last minute and the nearer HIE was booked up (room price v expensive). We got this one for a more reasonable price and they also sorted out our Cadbury tickets. Cadbury don't offer any discount for drivers (30% off for train users) and again, I left it too late to book discounted (more than the 5% their website offers) tickets from a travel agent so according to my research, HIE Redditch offer Cadbury discounted tickets at circa £13 per adult and £9 per child. I am not sure if this HIE sell tickets separately but as a package, ours worked out the same, if not, cheaper altogether. You can phone up ahead of time - on their easily-found-on-Google local phone number as opposed to some other national chains who seem to go out of their way to stop you from ringing the hotel reception - to get them to book your Cadbury tour for your desired time. Their ticketing ppl have access to a different system as what Cadbury online have so even when the CW online tickets had sold out, we were able to get our desired time slot via the HIE's agent.

Our room was all made up, complete with the converted sofa bed all set up when we arrived. In terms of the rooms, the size was pretty standard - a snug fit with the sofa bed pulled out but it seemed more roomy because of the open cupboard and shelves. I loved that things like the bedside table were designed to be higher up to allow for luggage under it.

In terms of the bathroom, we were very pleasantly surprised. I absolutely loved the roomy shower cubicle in the bathroom and hope that this is the way budget hotels are heading - rather than a compromise bathtub or ones that don't age well. The cubicle by contrast looked very modern with its black and white gloss bricks and as it was fully enclosed, was not draughty despite the spaciousness. Also no annoying possibly-of-dubious-hygiene shower curtain sticking to you or trailing water all over the floor. Lots of electrical sockets in the room at all different heights - low one near the floor, one by a bedside and 2 by the desk. Also sufficient towel/ clothes hooks both inside and out of the bathroom.

Mattresses were good although I think I liked the dense foam ones on the sofa bed which weren't as springy. But that is really just splitting hairs as the family had a good night's sleep. We faced the main road but it was quiet enough in the room and because the air conditioning worked a treat, we didn't need to open the windows. I even asked the receptionist how old the hotel was as everything just looked so new but you would never have guessed it was 3 years old. All in all, a lovely stay tho if you are hoping to do Cadbury and can find an offer at another HIE say Redditch, the drive to Bourneville in weekday traffic was a bit fraught to us out-of-towners.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank flyingirl80
Samantha J, deputymanager@hiex-birmingham.co.uk at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you for such a detailed review. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. The cadbury world package is very popular within the hotel and we are happy to see you enjoyed it. I have passed your comments onto the house keepers who were very glad to see that you were happy with the rooms. We do hope that you will choose us again on your next visit to Birmingham.