“A good bistro”

Ranked #156 of 2,220 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$22 - US$103
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Oozing laidback bohemian charm, Annexe Restaurant crafts refined continental cuisine. An exciting, innovative new Mediterranean menu from a chef of Michelin pedigree brings flavours from around Europe - predominantly France, Italy and Spain. All this in a vintage atmosphere full of family style warmth and soul.
Birmingham
“A good bistro”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Situated at the far end of Corporation Street near the law courts this is the type of bistro that Café Rouge tries so hard to be. It's the kind of place you would be happy to stumble across in the backstreets of a French town knowing you were going to get a good meal.

The decoration is classic bistro, odd chairs, dark wood, brown walls, painted signs, and it has a nice feel to it. They were playing blues music and, whilst I don't really like much background music when I am eating, it did seem right here. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient.

I went at lunch time so it was quite quiet but I can imagine that if get really "buzzy" at night. They do themed evenings with live music which I suspect would be great. I will try to get to one!

The lunch menu is quite restricted but they were happy to offer me some things from the dinner menu. I had "Cornish Dressed Crab" for a main course and this was good quality and came with some nicely dressed leaves, croutons and boiled new potatoes - an excellent course. I then had a dessert of two tartlets, one raspberry and one strawberry, and these were good with sharp fruit and crisp pastry - another good course. I had a glass of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc with the main course and that was fruity and light. An espresso finished my meal.

All in all this is good bistro cooking. It's not fine dining of the highest order but you won't be disappointed with the food and, as I said above, I think in the evenings it will be a really good place to be in terms of atmosphere.

By only small criticism is that £30 for what I had is a bit expensive. I've held a star back for that which is a bit mean but TripAdvisor doesn't do half stars! So 4 1/2 stars really.

This place is certainly worth trying.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Covenant

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Midlands
“Will return”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

What better review could you give when you say "we will be back". Fabulous atmosphere, we were made ver welcome. A table for six, our table was in the first section near the bar. Our favourite NZ Marlborough region SB wine on the list, very cold, beautiful. One of our group took vegetarian options and was delighted, the rest of us fully enjoyed our choices. They offer themed nights and they look great fun. Good for couples or groups. A little out from the main centre but that really has it's benefit that we had the table for the whole evening rather than the options of "sittings" - that was most important to us. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank BongoElsbeth
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A firm favourite!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have visited Annexe several times and I have had a great time every time. The service is always very good but not over the top and the food, well I always have the Cote du Boeuf as it is very nice and always perfectly cooked. The wine is lovely and I usually have the house wine which is far too drinkable. The desserts are lovely, although the first time I went I had a Chocolate dessert which was amazing but they have not had in on the menu again since. The last dessert I had was a lemon and lime posset which was ok. It was not sharp enough for my liking and the lemonchello shot accompanying it was overpowering. It may have been nice if the lemonchello was incorporated into the posset rather than being an accompaniment. There are lots of lovely touches at the restaurant which make the experience even better. I love the silent movies playing and the bread and candle light. The bread served at the beginning of the meal is lovely but be careful not to eat too much which is very easy to do as it is lovely!
I want to go again soon to try something else on the menu which I am sure will be as lovely as the beef! I have noticed they now do cocktails which I am desperate to try so I am sure I will be visiting again soon.
I would highly recommend the restaurant as it has lovely food and atmosphere. It is out of the way in Birmingham but there are some nice places around it and its location means it is a bit of a hidden gem!

• Visited June 2014
“Delicious 👌”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Me and boyfriend went last night and had a wonderful evening the seafood starter was beautiful, our main was a beef sharing dish was also amazing and our chocolate pudding was melting in our mouths. We will defiantly be visiting again

Welwyn, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Great food and service. Took friend for a birthday meal and it lived up to all reviews and expectations. The menu was full of amazing choices, we both loved the meals we eventually chose! Will defiantly return and recommend.