“The best place in Brum!”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 December 2011

The service, the room, the food, and everything that comes with was so excellent that I cannot describe my feelings, but basically next to the word amazing in the dictionary is the address to this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the entrance and car park CAN be a little noisy, but its not too disturbing. Up side of...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2011

Dear Lujcy

How kind of you to say we're "the best place in Brum!"

You obviously had a very enjoyable stay with us which I am delighted to hear and I am very pleased that you found everything as you would expect.

We hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 4 December 2011

My company booked me into this hotel for a conference for 2 nights. The hotel is large, clean and efficient. However the staff are brusque at best. I'm disabled and use a walking stick. Unfortunately I found them entirely unhelpful towards the disabled visitor. For example, I went to sit down at the conference to find the chair had a 2 inch spike poking out from a broken part. I dragged the chair out of the room to avoid someone gouging their leg on it as I had nearly done. In the corridor I tried to stop one member of staff who brushed me aside. I stopped the next two and told them the problem, without speaking to me at all, the woman told her colleague, 'move it for her' and the two of them marched off without even an acknowledgement. In the shop, buying a newspaper, I dropped my walking stick whilst trying to pay, which in turn knocked a roll of sellotape off the shelf. Despite being the only customer, the member of staff watched me ungracefully grope on the floor for my stick, then impassively watched me struggle to get down to retrieve the errant sellotape to put it back. Not once did he move or try to help. The room - TV is massively out of date with poor picture. The light switches would be difficult for arthritic hands and the room is very dim, worryingly so if you are visually impaired. The only plug for hair tongs (or other electricals) is on the floor under the desk, or on the floor by the door, difficult and painful to reach. Which also meant you can't have your phone by the bed unless it's been previously charged. There's no bin in the bathroom (what about initmate items for rubbish?) and it's the only room light enough to do make-up.Someone tried to get in my room saying he was there to mend the lights, but hurridly left when I opened the door and he could see my lights were on. Bizzare.The bar staff are extremely efficient, but there is no warmth at all. It was fast service with good food at a reasonable price, but I felt I was on a treadmill, no one seemed able to chat or give you any time. I gave up and went to watch the dreadful telly in my room. Walls are typically thin, and late night revellers kep me awake. The bed was comfortable, room temperature fine, and the bedding felt nice. But unfortunately the service at breakfast was as I expected. It's the usual wait for 5 mins whilst you make your own toast and no-one offers you any help. I've stayed in some great hotels and wonderful B&B's this year including the Bellagio in Vegas, the Roosevelt in Hollywood and a B&B in Whitby! The service at the B&B in Whitby far outshined anything this hotel offers. There is no denying the location for the NEC is excellent, the hotel is clean and efficient, but if you want warmth, friendliness and a hotel that cares, go find yourself a decent B&B.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank 99Michelle99

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your comments following your visit to the hotel.

Whilst I was pleased you were impressed with efficiency of our staff, together with the overall ambience of your room. I was surprised that you found some of our staff to be anything but courteous and helpful. In contract, we receive many, many compliments regarding the efforts our staff go to to make them feel welcome.

We are in the process of upgrading our infrastructure, which will include the replacement of the TV's.

I do hope you will return to the hotel in the near future when I am sure you will receive the usual warm welcome our guests are accustomed to.

Reviewed 3 December 2011

I stayed here as part of the conference. It is a vast hotel and once you are inside like a lot of these places you could be anywhere, but i guess that is just how it is. There is lots of parking, £15 per day unless you get it included. The staff were all helpful and finding it from the M42 was dead easy.

The room was comfortable, nothing special for the price, but you get all the usual things you would expect. No free Wifi in the room though ... a bugbear of mine. The restaurants were fine, not cheap but not ridiculously priced. The beer was at hotel prices though and you do feel a bit of a captive audience for that ...

In short I have given this an average just because it was expensive and it does nothing other than deliver a bulk standard hilton type experience, ok as you know things will be ok, but nothing more.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear Zenman

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on this website.

I am glad that you found our staff to be helpful as we always endeavour to offer the highest level of service to our guests.

I was also pleased to see that you had found everything to your satisfaction with regards to your room and the restaurants.

I hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2011

This is my first experience of executive lounge facilities and it made the cost of our executive twin room excellent value for money due to the complimentary breakfast,afternoon tea and cakes,canopies and alcoholic beverages. I was very impressed with the high standard,quality and choice of food and drinks and the quick,no fuss replenishment of supplies! It was nice to feel trusted to 'help yourself' in a quiet,calm and relaxed environment where nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

Room Tip: I would recommend paying a little extra for an executive room in order to to make use of the excelle...
1  Thank Jane L

Dear Jane

Thank you for for such a positive review.

Our Executive Lounge is indeed very popular with our Executive room guests and I am very pleased that you found your stay to be excellent value for money.

We hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Location:
It's very strategic location if you are planning to visit Birmingham Exhibition or if you are looking for hotel close to the motorway in outer ring of Birmingham. close to the airport +/- 15 minutes and free shuttle available.

Room:
The standard room was quite small, and I the bed was pretty old and uncomfortable. The bathroom was sufficient but nothing special. My second visit was in Deluxe room. This has much better atmosphere than the standard room. It has refresh interior and decent size for both bedroom and bathroom.

Staff:
The front desk staff not always available on the desk. When I arrived in the lobby, no body from the staff welcome us to the hotel. And in my second visit, I have to wait 10 minutes until someone come to check me in. The staff in the restaurant was very friendly and helpful.

Facilities:
There is an indoor pool available and the "Living Well" gym is pretty good. I am impressed, since they have good variety of equipment and well maintain. A lot of parking space. It will cost you round 8GBP (I cannot remember exact amount)

In Conclusion:
It was not the best hotel I've ever stayed, but it's not a total disaster as well. If you want to stay in this hotel, I would recommend not to book standard room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your comments, following your recent stay with us.

The hotel does have a variety of room sizes and type and I was pleased that you found our Deluxe room more to your personal requirements.

Our leisure club is a very popular attraction for visitors and guests alike and I am glad that you had enjoyed your visit there.

We do hope we may have the pleausre of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2011

Hotel very good, twin ensuite rooms very comfatble. Food and bar pricey. The hotel does have an airport transit lounge feel, then again it is very close to the airport.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 30 November 2011

This hotel seems to be geared up to business travellers on lavish expense accounts, and which doesn't realise that times have changed. It starts when you arrive by car: parking for residents is £7.00 per day, and this for an out of town location! Order a round of drinks for yourself and colleagues, and you'll need to take out a mortgage. The charge for wifi is extortionate, and when I tried to use my personal BT Openzone account, although I could see a signal, I couldn't log on. Was the hotel blocking me so I had to use their expensive service?
It is not as though the place justifies the high costs. I've had better stays in a cheap Premier Inn!
My twin bedded room was very small, and looked very tired. The heating struggled to cope, so I suffered cold nights. The shower had two settings, freezing or scalding. The TV looked as though it was made in the 1970s, and the screen and sound quality matched.
I can only conclude that the hotel manage reckon that they've got a captive audience, and are pricing accordingly, and couldn't care that the service is bad.

Room Tip: Stay down the railway line in either Birmingham or Coventry, and commute into the NEC!
2  Thank SouthernPacific
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#27 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!