“Disappointing”

Ranked #71 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Checked in at 3 and paid £150 for one nights stay dinner bed and breakfast,the room was pokey and dark so asked to be moved which was a little better but a tiny double bed very uncomfortable. Had a snack at 3 which cost £35 for two sandwiches and two drinks. We were told at 8.30 that the miller restaurant in which we were supposed to be vain dinner and paid for was closed so therefore couldn't have dinner. Very angry as had to have yet another bar snax which was again very poor and £65 . Retired to bed and was kept awake by a party till 3am above our room,screaming shouting and very load music, then haveing to listen to people using the toilet. Was supposed to be a lovely valentine romantic evening! Very upset and disappointing will be goin back to holiday inn .

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank eloisebedford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (961)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed for 2 nights at the Hilton and was really impressed. My room was modern and clean, with tv, internet connection, clock radio and an iron and ironing board. I was there for a conference and the hot buffet lunch served was fantastic - great variety of food. I couldn't fault breakfast either - everything you could want and more. I used the leisure facilities too - great pool with view out to river and greenery - really relaxing.
The courtesy shuttle bus to and from the airport train station was a fantastic extra - and the driver was really helpful in giving us suggestions for our night out in Birmingham. Had a cocktail in the hotel bar when we returned from town - a bit pricey but tasty nonetheless. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very positive review, following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you had found everything met your expectations and we do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back very shortly.

West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Metropole close to Birmingham Airport and International railway station in Dec 2011 prior to a holiday. The service and welcome at reception was excellent, we were upgraded to a really spacious room. We ate in the bar area and the food was very well presented and bill was reasonable for a large hotel.Free shuttle to the Airport link was smooth and easy. All staff that we encountered seemed very professional and friendly.
The parking for two weeks was actually within the hotel's large car park. Upon our return the shuttle arrived within a few minutes of our calling the hotel and dropped us a 2 minute walk from the car. All in all a stress free experience.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Roxally

I am very pleased that you had a stress-free stay with us, we always strive to ensure our guests have a pleasant stay.

I was glad that you found our staff both friendly and welcoming and hope we may have the pleasure of your company again shortly.

Kind regards.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I arrived for my four-night stay on what is always a busy period, when the Spring Fair is on at the NEC. Prices for the cheapest rooms during this period start at £150 per night for a single room, whereas normally £75 is the norm.

My first impression was by a surly security man on the car park gate demanding to see my booking confirmation before even letting me in.

Twenty-five minute queue at reception for check-in, just like at an airport.

My room was in the tired old 'b block' which is the wing where the rooms haven't been rennovated for years. The wallpaper was peeling, paintwork was flaking and faded, the carpet was threadbare. The radiator belched out heat all night with no adjustment or ability to switch it off. My room was a stifling 29 degrees centigrade. To be fair, the room was clean and the bathroom was ok.

I added an extra night to my stay, I made this clear to the receptionist when I checked in, but at the end of my original stay, I found myself locked out of my room. I had to go to reception, check out and check in again, which took forty minutes of my evening to sort out. Grrr.

The Sunday night was so busy ALL the restaurants were booked solid, so I went out. I had a very mediocre Indian buffet meal in the library room which was overpriced and had obviously been made using frozen mixed vegetables and tinned potatoes in some of the veggy dishes.

I skipped breakfast and did't use the gym or pool because I'd slept so bably in my stupidly hot room. I was moved to a newly refurbished room after complaining. The poor guy on reception admitted 'we get hundreds of complaints every week because of the state of some of our rooms'

Definitely my last stay here, in future it'll be Premier Inn for the nine nights I have to endure at the NEC every year because of my job.

Room Tip: Ask reception to allocate you one of the refurbished rooms which have thermostat controlled heating...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Ozvaldinho

Thank yoiu for taking the time to provide your feedback on this website.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room and had found the temperature a little too warm but I was pleased we were able to offer you an alternative room once you had requested this from Reception.

The hotel has undertaken a huge refurbishment programme and whilst there are some rooms that require attention, I can confirm that these will be attended to in due course.

I do hope that dcespite your disappointment on this occasion, that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

NJ
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Needs a bit of updating but it is the best in the area. The restaurants in the hotel are average at best but the Brits aren't know for their food or dental hygiene.
Rooms are clean and te beds are comfortable. A great gym and spa with huge indoor swimming pool.

10 minutes from the airport and a 5 minute walk to the NEC. The train station is a 7 minute walk. the hotel offers a van to the tarin station as well. Downtown Birmingham to the mall "the bull ring" is only a 7 minute train ride.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your comments, following your recent visit to the hotel.

We are ideally located for the NEC, LG Arena and Birmingham Airport and I was pleased that you found our courtesy shuttle service invaluable.

I was glad that you had enjoyed our LivingWell leisure club and we hope we may welcome you back soon.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Having stayed at this hotel on several occasions whilst on business. I am always delighted with the care and personal service I receive from all members of staff. The Hilton Birmingham offers excellent value for money, the rooms are always clean and comfortable, they offer superb food, outstanding leisure facilities and have staff for whom nothing is too much trouble, and service is always with a smile :-)

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake are fabulous, a great view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
RossMounsey, General Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Fraya

Thank you for such a wonderful review.

It is always pleasing to receive such positive comments and I will ensure these are shared with our team members.

I was of course delighted to learn that you find the service you receive here second to none and great value for money.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Wolverhampton
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We had booked this hotel originally, purely for convenience, as we were going to the George Michael concert. This was cancelled, but we decided to still have the night away.
I previously stayed here in Jan 2010 (See previous review) on business.
This was a better stay than last time, but the hotel is still vastly overpriced for what you get.
We eat in Millers Restaurant, and whilst I knew it wasn't cheap, from the previous visit,
£11.95 for spicy garlic prawns is excessive, when you only get 5 and it's a starter!
It was nice, but a rip-off price wise.
Chicken breast with mushrooms and chips was my main course, and I was looking forward to it, but although the food was certainly edible, it was served on a chopping board (which seems to be the fashion at the moment) which I didn't like, and I got one large mushroom and about 8 chips. This cost £17!
My Wife and I shared cheese and biscuits for dessert, and that was quite nice at £7.95.
The server was new, but he was very polite and attentive.
The room was adequate, and although nicer than the single room I stayed in before, it still has the old style television, not expected at a 4 star hotel, but it was comfortable.
We had room service breakfast and this was £20.95 a head, and you have to pay a tray, and service charge which is about another tenner. That to me is ridiculous.
This hotel interior is very elegant, and it's location is superb, but it's so expensive for a Hilton.
And what you get for your money isn't enough.
Even Parking is around £15, shouldn't parking be free when you've paid £100 for a room and
spent over £100 on a meal, and drinks?
Although we did enjoy ourselves, this Hotel is definitely not value for money.
Vastly overpriced.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 118 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,302 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!