“Good quality, close to airport and NEC”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #74 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The Hilton Metropole is conference central - it is a huge hotel and there are always large conferences going on here, which they handle brilliantly well by the way. The rooms are smart and well cared for although there is always a little noise from with the road, the airport or the air conditioning if you are unfortunate to have a room overlokking the internal roof space as I did on this last visit. Leisure facilities are good - the pool is much larger than many others. Service is very good, the staff on reception are efficient and friendly. There is a large lounge area, mainly used for business meetings during the day with a handy, but expensive Costa Coffee concession (£3.60 for a medium sized tea). Food otherwise is ok, but not spectacular. The size of the hotel and the regularity of the large conferences means that the restaurant is a mass catering kind of arrangement - lots of buffet food, all of decent quality, but this is certainly not a restaurant where you are going to share an intimate conversation. The sound of the underlying hubbub in the lounge and food areas is powerful. Room service breakfast is most disappointing every time I stay. I have had overcooked scrambled egg on two visit and a vast plate of runbbery mushrooms. I'm not sure if the restaurant breakfast is any better but given the tray charge, room service shouldn't sugger. I think they could do a bit better with breakfast. However, overall, this is the best hotel on the Birmingham airport and NEC site in my view. It's location is fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent visit to the hotel. Whilst we are a large conference and event hotel, we do also cater for those on leisure breaks and feel our location lends itself forth both business convenience and leisure attractions of the Midlands.

I was sorry to learn that you had not been impressed with your Room Service breakfasts - please rest assured that your comments will be shared with our Room Service team.

Once again thank you for your comments and your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was my second stay in the hotel. When going to the NEC the location of the hotel is great. Lobby, bar and breakfast area are nice, but this is not the case for the rooms...
The rooms are dark and definately need to be refurbished. I believe some rooms have been; when checking the traveler photos, you'll notice the difference between the rooms.
I had a deluxe twin room, the older version and located in the B lobby... The room was nothing special and was really dated, no curtains, except for the ones that keep even more light out.
The bathroom...not what you expect in a Hilton. Very small, old and worn. Broken wall tiles, mold starting to appear. You don't get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
2  Thank l1eve

Dear Eve

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to learn that you were unhappy with your room and would advise that the room you occupied is due to be refurbished in the very near future. I do of course regret any disappointment caused.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

OK I'll start off with 5 out of 5 & then mark off one point for each bad comment.

The room was fine & the reception staff were good, breakfasts were par for the course. But that was to be expected for this class of hotel.

Now the BAD comments
1. the room entry card failed THREE times & I had to walk back to the hotel reception each time to get it sorted out. That's never happened before at any hotel I've stayed at with this kind of room entry system. ONE mark off.
2. You needed to be a rocket scientist to operate the room telly in order to watch telly & it seemed more interested in selling you an expensive film package instead. & the picture quality was dire. Another mark off.
3. The price of a Costa coffee was almost DOUBLE what I would pay in a normal Costa coffee shop, Expensive or what!. & the waiter was more keen to get me to pay by charging the cost to my room than how I wanted to pay, I insisted on paying cash & ended up waiting over TEN minutes to do so! Another mark off.
4. The price of other drinks in the hotel, all overpriced. I ended up going in the Wetherspoons in the NEC to get a drink, the same drink was almost HALF the price & I was served quickly in there. & another mark off & which leads me to the last comment.

6. The bar staff service was DIRE! It took BOTH bar staff to take my order, the first one asked the second one to sort my order after the first one asked for my order & forgot!
& a 45 MINUTE wait for some overpriced not so fresh sandwiches at Sunday lunch time.

It seems to me that the staff need proper training & the management needs to sort out staffing levels at peak times. Also the hilton head office needs to sort out its bar & coffee prices to stop people like me heading elsewhere.

I also attended the Lions Clubs International MD Convention after a three night stay, I stayed here because it was there. needless to say there are numerous chain hotels around the NEC & I received better service in the Travelodge down the road eight months ago.

Hilton head office & management, in the true style of Britain's Got Talent I'll give you SIX NO's instead of three & if I could give a MINUS mark out of Five I would do so. PLEASE TAKE NOTE!! 'nuff said!

1  Thank insanelaundryman

Dear Insanelaundryman

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit.

I was sorry to learn that you had experienced certain issues regarding service levels Our bar staff do of course endeavour to serve all customers as quickly and efficiently as possible. However, it would appear that they were stretched during this particular busy period for the hotel and I must apologise for the poor levels of service that you experienced.

Please rest assured I will be discussing your observations with our Food & Beverage Manager and can assure you that positive steps to improve levels of service and further training will be implemented to raise standards in this area.

With regards to pricing, we constantly monitor our prices to ensure we remain competitive and can advise that our prices are in line with other 4 star establishments throughout the country.

I do hope that any disappointment on this occasion, we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

The hotel is large as you might expect it to be at the NEC but is well presented and seems to be well run.

I have just returned from the Lions Clubs International MD Convention after a two night stay.

The room on the fourth floor directly above the reception, was very clean, spacious and comfortable. It was everything that you needed. Tea and coffee making facilities, toiletries and good supply of hot water and a responsive heating system?

The public areas of the hotel were clean and well presented. The staff were very helpful and polite.

The convention room was quite cold at times on the two days but did get warmer. The evening function was a dinner for 600. The food was served with great efficiency and no fuss. Again the staff werepolite,helpful and very professional.

Not the cheapest place when he it comes to drinks. £8 for a large glass of wine. Fortunately it was not bought by or for me. Two bottles of Diet Coke £2.80.

On the first evening we dined in Millers with nine others on one table and everything ran well. The food was very good, again a little expensive compared with some restaurants but an enjoyable evening.

Free shuttle bus to the NEC station every half hour.

Would have no reluctance to return but not sure it would necessarily lend itself to a holiday per se.

Room Tip: We had 4003 which was near to, for convenience but not adversely affected by the lifts accessed in l...

Dear Alan

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on this website.

I was very pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you were impressed with friendliness and helpfulness of our staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

I have spent a number of nights at the Hilton Met in Birmingham as my company used them for many events and evening socials. The hotel is dated in decor and feels dark when you walk inside. The reception staff are always polite and friendly though, you really cannot fault the service. Rooms are at best standard but certainly not what you'd expect from a Hilton chain. Prices of rooms, food and drinks are extortionate for what you get too. The breakfast is very good, there is always plenty of choice.

I've used the spa a few times and the ladies there are super, very professional and friendly. The prices are not too high here.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear Snow Whitey

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent visit to the hotel.

I am glad that you always find our staff polite and friendly - we always endeavour to make every guest feel welcome and valued.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the decor in your room. As you will be aware the hotel has many different room types and size, ranging from our standard to Queen Executive room and suites. Perhaps on a future visit you may wish to try one of our larger rooms - I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Our Leisure Club is a great attraction for manyu guests and your kind comments will be shared with our team there.

We hope we may welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Title says it all. An expensive night, and I for one won't return....

Reviewed 4 May 2012

I stayed here as at an exhibition at the NEC. The room only charge was 189 pounds and 15 pounds to park in the Hilton car park. I arrived to find a security guard who told me I could not park as the car park was "full"? When I enquired if all the spaces were taken by guests at the hotel and why could I see empty space, the answer was "no" anyone can park and the space left were for gym members. I then had to go to the NEC visitors car park and pay 8 pounds and late come back and move back to the Hilton. Arriving back no sign of "jobsworth", but sign saying "full", ignored it and found many empty spaces. I complained to the receptionist who had all the charm of a runaway pitbull and asked for my 8 pounds to be refunded, this was actauly done by the time of my check out, so if you get caught make sure you ask as well.

The bed in the twin bedded room was on casters, the bed was a "childs" size and moved when sleeping. Despite a notice on my door not to be disturbed, the check out was at midday, was woken by someone in broken English saying room service, when I said I had the do not disturb sign they still asked what time I was leaving. I got up as they were about 5 or six cleaning people all talking, rooms with tvs and radios on whilst being serviced.

My advice is this is part of "rip off Britian", take the train and get a better hotel cheaper.

Room Tip: Choose one where they do not wake you up
2  Thank JockLondon_England
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#33 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!