“Day-ruining customer service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Day-ruining customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012 via mobile

We bought a spa package through groupon. We arrived at the hotel, had a warm welcome by the spa staff, were provided with ours gowns and slippers (£6 a head) and had a lovely massage. Lovely and relaxed.

We then opted to have a coffee and light lunch before using the spa facilities for the day. The food was ok - tho on this particular instance the coffee machine was broken and we sat drinking from costs take out cups.

We then relaxed around the pool, using the facilities and generally chilling out which was mostly lovely. The pool is shared with the hotel and others (not sure who) which meant we couldn't use the jacuzzi as the same people stayed in there for pretty much the duration of our time.

Changing rooms are small but adequate ..... And once we were changed and ready to leave the confusion began.

The spa staff (despite having agreed we'd settle the bill on leaving) thought we had left without paying - so inundated us both with a dozen or more calls. When the lady realised her mistake she laughed it off and we paid the ball. No mention of the fact she had called my mother (named as next of kin) informing her I'd left without paying (embarrassing!) and requesting she pay for us over the phone. Thankfully mum had sense and refused!

We then had a call the following day requesting we pay again over the phone as they believe the card machine wasn't working - despite having had a credit card receipt for the transaction. Indeed the statement proved the transaction had been successful - but we are yet to receive any form of call to apologise!

Unfortunately the faff at the end of the day and since has meant we'd go elsewhere for future spa days - and we'll be checking with the hiltons policy for use f emergency contact numbers!

• Stayed May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear Dojo

Thank you for leaving yur comments follolwing your recent visit to our Leisure Centre.

I was pleased that you had enjoyed your spa treatments and our other leisure club facilities. I was also pleased to see that you found our staff welcoming.

I was disappointed however to learn of the confusion you experienced with regards to payment for your treatments. Please do accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused as a result of this confusion and I do hope that you will return to the hotel again.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I have stayed here a few times during the year with my family and work. We love the pool at this hotel, it must be the largest within a UK Hilton chain. Hotel is in a great location for walking to the NEC if you are going to an exhibition or great for exploring the Midlands. Just a short walk through the NEC is Birmingham international rail station with regular trains to Birmingham

Last time we stayed was the day before the hotel shut for the Christmas holidays. We were upgraded to an executive room. The executive lounge was closed but the hotel sectioned off a small area in the bar where there were snacks and drinks available from the bar. This has happened to us before when we came in the summer but fully enjoyed the experience as it made a nice change from the confinement of the executive lounge. When the lounge is open it has good views over a lake and the incoming planes to the nearby Birmingham airport (no noise problems). The snacks, drinks and breakfast are good. We recommend this hotel for business and pleasure.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer

Thank for your such a glowing review.

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your many visits to the hotel for both business and pleasure. I agree we are ideally situated for easy access to the NEC, LG Arena and Birmingham Airport and railway station.

Our pool is very popular with guests and leisure club members and I am glad that you have had the opportunity to utilise our club's many facilities.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wirral
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

Not a bad hotel but the rooms need an upgrade! The tv is all fuzzy and the old style huge things! Most channels you would expect in a quality hotel just aren't there.
I was lucky enough to have access to the exec lounge which I have to sy was fantastic. I was greeted when I arrived and the staff just couldn't o enough for you. I didn't ge there names but they all deserve a thank you.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Giddygidds

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed the benefits of our Executive Lounge and that you found our team to be helpful and friendly.

I can advise that all of our TV's have now been replaced and regret any inconvenience you experienced with your TV set.

I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Somerset, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

The Hilton Metropole is conference central - it is a huge hotel and there are always large conferences going on here, which they handle brilliantly well by the way. The rooms are smart and well cared for although there is always a little noise from with the road, the airport or the air conditioning if you are unfortunate to have a room overlokking the internal roof space as I did on this last visit. Leisure facilities are good - the pool is much larger than many others. Service is very good, the staff on reception are efficient and friendly. There is a large lounge area, mainly used for business meetings during the day with a handy, but expensive Costa Coffee concession (£3.60 for a medium sized tea). Food otherwise is ok, but not spectacular. The size of the hotel and the regularity of the large conferences means that the restaurant is a mass catering kind of arrangement - lots of buffet food, all of decent quality, but this is certainly not a restaurant where you are going to share an intimate conversation. The sound of the underlying hubbub in the lounge and food areas is powerful. Room service breakfast is most disappointing every time I stay. I have had overcooked scrambled egg on two visit and a vast plate of runbbery mushrooms. I'm not sure if the restaurant breakfast is any better but given the tray charge, room service shouldn't sugger. I think they could do a bit better with breakfast. However, overall, this is the best hotel on the Birmingham airport and NEC site in my view. It's location is fantastic.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent visit to the hotel. Whilst we are a large conference and event hotel, we do also cater for those on leisure breaks and feel our location lends itself forth both business convenience and leisure attractions of the Midlands.

I was sorry to learn that you had not been impressed with your Room Service breakfasts - please rest assured that your comments will be shared with our Room Service team.

Once again thank you for your comments and your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Antwerp
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was my second stay in the hotel. When going to the NEC the location of the hotel is great. Lobby, bar and breakfast area are nice, but this is not the case for the rooms...
The rooms are dark and definately need to be refurbished. I believe some rooms have been; when checking the traveler photos, you'll notice the difference between the rooms.
I had a deluxe twin room, the older version and located in the B lobby... The room was nothing special and was really dated, no curtains, except for the ones that keep even more light out.
The bathroom...not what you expect in a Hilton. Very small, old and worn. Broken wall tiles, mold starting to appear. You don't get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
2 Thank l1eve
Dear Eve

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to learn that you were unhappy with your room and would advise that the room you occupied is due to be refurbished in the very near future. I do of course regret any disappointment caused.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

OK I'll start off with 5 out of 5 & then mark off one point for each bad comment.

The room was fine & the reception staff were good, breakfasts were par for the course. But that was to be expected for this class of hotel.

Now the BAD comments
1. the room entry card failed THREE times & I had to walk back to the hotel reception each time to get it sorted out. That's never happened before at any hotel I've stayed at with this kind of room entry system. ONE mark off.
2. You needed to be a rocket scientist to operate the room telly in order to watch telly & it seemed more interested in selling you an expensive film package instead. & the picture quality was dire. Another mark off.
3. The price of a Costa coffee was almost DOUBLE what I would pay in a normal Costa coffee shop, Expensive or what!. & the waiter was more keen to get me to pay by charging the cost to my room than how I wanted to pay, I insisted on paying cash & ended up waiting over TEN minutes to do so! Another mark off.
4. The price of other drinks in the hotel, all overpriced. I ended up going in the Wetherspoons in the NEC to get a drink, the same drink was almost HALF the price & I was served quickly in there. & another mark off & which leads me to the last comment.

6. The bar staff service was DIRE! It took BOTH bar staff to take my order, the first one asked the second one to sort my order after the first one asked for my order & forgot!
& a 45 MINUTE wait for some overpriced not so fresh sandwiches at Sunday lunch time.

It seems to me that the staff need proper training & the management needs to sort out staffing levels at peak times. Also the hilton head office needs to sort out its bar & coffee prices to stop people like me heading elsewhere.

I also attended the Lions Clubs International MD Convention after a three night stay, I stayed here because it was there. needless to say there are numerous chain hotels around the NEC & I received better service in the Travelodge down the road eight months ago.

Hilton head office & management, in the true style of Britain's Got Talent I'll give you SIX NO's instead of three & if I could give a MINUS mark out of Five I would do so. PLEASE TAKE NOTE!! 'nuff said!

1 Thank insanelaundryman
Dear Insanelaundryman

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit.

I was sorry to learn that you had experienced certain issues regarding service levels Our bar staff do of course endeavour to serve all customers as quickly and efficiently as possible. However, it would appear that they were stretched during this particular busy period for the hotel and I must apologise for the poor levels of service that you experienced.

Please rest assured I will be discussing your observations with our Food & Beverage Manager and can assure you that positive steps to improve levels of service and further training will be implemented to raise standards in this area.

With regards to pricing, we constantly monitor our prices to ensure we remain competitive and can advise that our prices are in line with other 4 star establishments throughout the country.

I do hope that any disappointment on this occasion, we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

The hotel is large as you might expect it to be at the NEC but is well presented and seems to be well run.

I have just returned from the Lions Clubs International MD Convention after a two night stay.

The room on the fourth floor directly above the reception, was very clean, spacious and comfortable. It was everything that you needed. Tea and coffee making facilities, toiletries and good supply of hot water and a responsive heating system?

The public areas of the hotel were clean and well presented. The staff were very helpful and polite.

The convention room was quite cold at times on the two days but did get warmer. The evening function was a dinner for 600. The food was served with great efficiency and no fuss. Again the staff werepolite,helpful and very professional.

Not the cheapest place when he it comes to drinks. £8 for a large glass of wine. Fortunately it was not bought by or for me. Two bottles of Diet Coke £2.80.

On the first evening we dined in Millers with nine others on one table and everything ran well. The food was very good, again a little expensive compared with some restaurants but an enjoyable evening.

Free shuttle bus to the NEC station every half hour.

Would have no reluctance to return but not sure it would necessarily lend itself to a holiday per se.

Room Tip: We had 4003 which was near to, for convenience but not adversely affected by the lifts accessed in l...
Dear Alan

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on this website.

I was very pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you were impressed with friendliness and helpfulness of our staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#21 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,220 reviews
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!