“Excellent Service from the start”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Service from the start”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

When we first got there we were checked in by a front-of-house staff member named Richard, and a young Italian woman whose name I have, regrettably forgotten. There was initially an issue with my card which was dealt with very professionally by Richard to ease any embarrassment experienced on my part. He maintained an amiable conversation with the friend who was accopanying me whilst I ascertained that eveything was fine with my account. Fortunately, it turned out it was actually an issue with the card machine and we were checked in. The room was well presented and very comfortable and well suited to our needs and the housekeeping services throughout the weekend that we stayed were prompt. All the staff that we met throughout the hotel during the weekend were always polite and greeted us with a smile which was well appreciated. We used the swimming and sauna facilities which were well manned and very enjoyable to use. The breakfast offered a great deal of choice and the staff were prompt with clearing and relaying the tables and helped with queries. The food available in the bar and restaurant area in the lobby was a bit costly but that is to be expected in this level of hotel and the food was well worth the price. I epecially recommend the cheesecake. All in all I do hope to return to the hotel in the near future and shall certainly be recommending it to friends and colleagues.

Room Tip: I have been to the hotel a few times and have stayed in rooms on various floors and have never had a...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Solign

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on this website.

I was delighted that yu had such an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for your recommending the hotel to friends and colleague.

I am also pleased that you were impressed with the levels of serice you received from all of our staff during your visit.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (975)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 24 May 2012

You will see from my other contributions that I have reviewed over 30 Hotels in the past 3 years,
and I have always tried to be as honest as possible, and look for the positive points, as well
as the negatives. I have also reviewed this Hotel twice previously, and although my stays weren't
perfect I did mark the Hotel fairly in the areas it deserved.
And so we come to my third stay here. What a terrible stay!
Where do I start, well at the beginning I suppose.
The positive points, just two-the location of the Hotel and the elegance in the bar and reception areas,
and that is it. I'm sorry but this Hilton Hotel is just trading on it's name and using it's prime location to
entice customers to stay here, not on it's brilliant customer service, sadly, because there is non here.
I booked this stay for my Wife and I as a Birthday treat for her, as we were going to a concert at the LG Arena.
This was also my first stay as an Hilton Honors member. When we arrived about 3.40pm on the Friday afternoon,
there were two people on reception. One on normal check in and one on Hilton Honors.
The queue was longer for Hilton Honors, in fact I was about to join the the standard queue, when I was finally checked
in by a very non smiling, unwelcoming man who didn't mention anything about whether I'd got the upgrades I
requsted on E standby, or about my complimentary newspaper or late checkout, which I later found out I was entitled to,
as part of the Hilton Honors scheme.
Although I did indeed request an upgrade via the Estandby system, and whilst I appreciate it's subject to availability,
the suites in question were still available to book online an hour or so before we checked in.
So are the Hotel keeping these suites back when they shouldn't be or had they genuinally gone in that 40 minute period or so?
The room was on the executive level and was in fact slightly better than the previous room we'd had. Well, the only
difference really a flat screen television, and a tiny balcony window door that wouldn't close properly. It was still a standard room.
The main incident which annoyed us during our stay was hearing the cleaning staff talking and laughing/joking and being noisy
from around 8.30am. This to me is not acceptable on a Saturday morning when checkout isn't until Midday.
They even knocked our door at just gone 9am-no chance of a rest or lie-in!
One of them even made a comment when we closed the door, something along the lines of 'Are they still asleep?'
And after reading a previous review on here I know another traveller experienced a similar situation.
The reason our Do Not Disturb sign was not on, was because we had ordered room service breakfast, but this does not excuse
the noise whilst we were dozing, or why our room had to be cleaned three hours before checkout.
What if we had had the later checkout I was later told I was entitled to?!
Room service breakfast was nice although it was delivered without any milk for the cereals and tea/coffee.
We were charged a tray charge and a service charge for room service even though we had pre paid for breakfast.
Upon checkout the same non smiling gentleman checked me out, and mentioned nothing about the parking charge.
I had to mention it and he then had to redo my bill otherwise I would've had a problem leaving the Hotel.
The whole experience left a sour taste in mine and my Wifes mouths.
I sent an email complaint outlining the problems we experienced during our stay,
for the attention of Ross Mounsey, director of operations, but instead received a terrible standard response
from Freddie Wright, the senior guest relations manager. He offered us a complimentary upgrade to an executive room, subject to availability.
Whoopeedoo! This of course was based on us spending another £100 approximately to get this non guaranteed upgrade.
And, when I tried to explain this to him he just didn't understand and didn't want to know. Why should we be out of pocket to get something
they're offering as compensation for the Hotel's mistakes? He did refund a £10 charge for room service, but didn't understand the poor customer
service issue.
So, I wrote a letter to Hilton Uk Head Office, and they passed the matter back to the Hotel to the general manager, Patrick Stapleton,
who sadly sent another sub standard response virtually the same as Mr Wright's email.
When I told him I wasn't happy with his poor response he tried to fob me off by offering me another £20 credit.
This wasn't the issue, he couldn't understand either what I was trying to say with regards to the complimentary upgrade, the fact that why
should I have to pay £100 to get it? When I asked him he didn't reply.
I understand sometimes mistakes happen, but when you've paid £93 for a room, spent £85 on expenses, and in your previous visit spent over £90 on the room,
and then spent a further £178 on expenses in just one evening, you've a right to feel a little annoyed when things go wrong.
And, when the management aren't bothered and offer you a complimentary upgrade, which is subject to availability. and based on you spending another £100 approximately
to get this, it does insult you.
And so, sadly, I will NEVER stay at this Hotel again, because if the manageme t don't care, then the staff don't either.
And if anyone from Hilton management replies on here, what's the odds they will say that they credited me £30 and hope I change my mind
and will stay here in the future. They still won't understand.
I have stayed at lesser quality Hotels in the past, see some of my reviews, but the customer service there, and the way they treat people is head and shoulders
above this place.
Hilton USA have since contacted me, as I informed them I wasn't happy with the Hotel responses,
and have apologised for their actions, and have given me a Be My Guest certificate (a one night stay at a Hilton) and some Hilton Honors Points,
so at least Jerry Record there, has made an effort to restore my faith in Hilton. Sadly, this Hotel did not and I cannot and will not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cjm24
Dear CJM24

Thank you for posting your comments, following your visit to the hotel.

As explained in our letter when we wrote to you personally following your stay, we were sorry you felt you had not received the level of service you had previously experienced.

In contrast to your comments, I believe you will see from other reviewers that they have found our levels of customer service to be exceptional. nevertheless, your comments have been taken on board.

We do hope you will reconsider and visit us again at some point in the future.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel which is next to the NEC for an exhibition. It is a very big hotel and when we arrived it was heaving with conferences, functions and hundreds of people. The car park is an additional charge - noted at £10.00 per day!! (handy tip, if you want to leave the car park without making this charge - for example to go for a meal then speak to the concierge who will give you a get out of jail card!) As the hotel was so busy we went out for food the first night. when we got back a "party" / function was in full swing with back ties and cocktail dresses everywhere - VERY busy.. Went to room, just in time for the music to start from downstairs - I'm honestly not exaggerating when I tell you that the bass was over the volume of my TV!! by 11pm I'd had enough and phoned reception - when I asked how long the music would be on for the person refused to tell me because it would make me upset!! but be rest assured I was not the only person to have complained!!! I was then put through to Mia/Mya (not sure of spelling sorry) on reception. She listened to my plight (had to be up early) she provided Excellent customer service, arranged for a change of rooms and even had the key to new room sent up to me. word to the wise I stayed in room 5081 5th floor and it was very loud. suggest avoiding 10 rooms either side on ANY floor so not 1071-1091, 2071-2091, 3071-3091 etc.
Took 15 mins to change rooms but I do feel sorry for everyone who was not so lucky - Massive thank you to Mia/Mya for her help!!
Food at the hotel is very expensive for a captive audience and a buffet meal was £27.00 per head PLUS service charge. Drinks equally pricey... but then it is next to the NEC ...

All in all, if you have to be at the NEC then this is the closest hotel offering, had a single room price of £75.00 through the exhibition but don't be fooled into thinking this is a cheap option as it certainly is NOT. Hilton Quality though but at a cost.... Breakfast was OK, usual offerings on a buffet however VERY VERY busy!!! ... expect to cue at any time....

Room Tip: Avoid anything under the function rooms.. especially 1081, 2081,3081,4081,5081 as they back onto fun...
1 Thank PaKG
Dear PaKG

Thank you for your review.

I regret that you had experienced a disturbed night’s sleep due to loud music being played into the early hours in one of our function rooms. It would be our normal policy to allocate rooms likely to be affected by noise to those people attending the particular function and I do apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. I am pleased however that we were able to offer you an alternative rooms.

We hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

PEAK DISTRICT
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed 1 night on business, I would not choose to stay here on a pleasure visit, far too large and impersonal, but the staff were mostly helpful especially in restaurant areas and very pleasant concierge who sorted parking for me very quickly. It is a very busy hotel with people constantly milling about at all times. Check in/out was quick and efficient. Room - fair size and clean, nice bathroom. Towels and linen clean and good quality. Had twin beds which had not been asked for and they were not of good quality. If you like a very hard bed then this is the place for you, I had one of my most uncomfortable nights ever in a hotel bed. Too small and far too firm, pillows from the same "hard" store, felt like sandbags! A lot of noise at night from corridors and people coming and going. However, the food was acceptable and well organised. This is a business/conference hotel and if its not a holiday then it does what it says and is quite efficient at doing it. Just not where I would want to spend a holiday! (and certainly for more than a night I would have asked to change rooms for a soft bed!)

Dear Giching

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the hotel.

Whilst we are predominantly a conference based hotel, we do of course have a number of leisure guests who stay with us quite regularly. Not only are we conveniently located for the easy access to the NEC, Birmingham Airport and the city centre but we are also well located for access to many of the Midlands tourist attractions.

I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

England
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My company has just held its convention here and its been a year or two since I was last at the Metropole. Little has changed over the years except the odd facelift here and there, but one thing that never seems to change is the fact that the place seems to be hectic and noisy at all hours of the day.
CHECK-IN...Not sure if this was down to my companys arrangements or the hotels, but check-in was very slick. Much better than previouis years. Quick and very well organised and in the next room to our conference. Bags were also taken to our rooms at the end of the day.

CONFERENCE...We used 4 rooms for the day and evening gala dinner, all of which were adjacent to each other. Big and brash and quite disappointing. It's like nothings changed in 25 years and its starting to look very tired in places, particularly some of the wood panelling on the walls and the old grubby chandeliers. The carpets had an update but thats about it.
The service for our evening meal was at best indifferent with lots of what seemed to be young waiters doing their best in a manic situation of 45 tables seating 300 people. The food was the worst part even by corporate standards. Undercooked vegetables and overcooked pork loin which was rock hard. An Asian friend and colleague who was with me had ordered a vegatarian dish which arrived cold and an hour late when everyone had finished eating.

The bedrooms looked like they had received a recent facelift. I had a twin room on the second floor to myself and the beds although comfortable were disappointingly small given the price of £200 a night. There was a full bathroom although the tub was again small and only really suitable for showering in. Surprisingly there was no trouser press although there was an iron and board in the closet. The small tv was adequate with most of the freeview channels but the pay movies were expensivearound £11 each. I would also recommend you avoid room service. £15 for a burger and chips and £8 for a basic sandwich. Enough said.
The aircon seemed to blow the same temperature regardless of the setting.As it was not too hot a day this was not a problem, but at the height of summer? My room overlooked the car park at the front of the hotel, and talking about the car park, it seems the guests also have to pay at around £12 per day! We were give free parking in one of the NEC car parks which was a 5 minute walk away across a main road with no pavement! Not pleasant when carrying your luggage on a hot day.

I can't comment on the main restaurant as we didnt use it. We did however use the lobby bar which was very expensive. £4.50 for a beer and £8.50 for a vodka re bull.

I believe there was also a spa on site, but we didn't use this.

So in summary, the Metropole is a huge and very busy hotel which seems to be aimed at the Corporate/Function/Airport market. The airport and NEC are next door.
There are however, newer, cheaper and dare I say better hotels on the doorstep.

Room Tip: Get one at the back overlooking the lake.
1 Thank Plateglass
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I attending a very large function here and stayed just one night. The room was tiny, overly expensive and in need of refurbishment. The staff are uncommitted and I suspect either temporary or waiting for something better to come along. On several occasions we ordered something from the waiting staff and despite further requests it never arrived. There was never any sign of any management and staff seemed to be left to their own devices and organisation.

The food at the function was absolutely dire and had I been in a restaurant I would have refused to pay. The whole establishment is inefficient and of poor quality and relies on it's proximity to the NEC to fill rooms.
The management should be ashamed of themselves, I have stayed at many Hilton Hotels around the World but none of them are half as poor as this one. I'm surprised that the Hilton group allows it's good name to be associated with it.
I have no problem in paying premium prices for a premium offering but this hotel is simply not delivering quality at any level and quite frankly I would rather stay at a YMCA than stay here again.

1 Thank sandypar
clevedon
Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with work, so it wasn't my money but I'd never stay again!!

We arrived at 5.30 pm, I had a box room on The 4th floor.

The corridor was strewn with over 40 empty bottles and glasses and my colleagues reported the same on other floors. Not only dirty but dangerous and they were still left there by the cleaners at 5.30pm from the night b4.

Lots of staff stood around in reception with nothing to do??

It soon became apparent why there was so many off licence bought bottles taken back to the rooms.

Over 4.80 a pint. 6 quid for a small glass of wine 9 for a large!! Gin was 9 i believe.

People staying for any length of time were obviously drinking in their rooms.

Dinner was equally a rip off, buffett style with a plate the size of your hand 27 quid for 2 courses.

Room rates can look good value but the bar and food prices are daylight robbery!!

• Stayed April 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
#24 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!