“NO SLEEP. BROKEN DOOR HANDLE. FLOODED BATHROOM.”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The balcony door handle was completely broken, it was just hanging in the hole. Therefore the only way of shutting that door was with the security latch ( which allows the door to be left ajar if you want air in the room at night.) Because it was a cold night we wanted it shut. As this was the only means of closing that door, we had to use it. However, it was a windy night, and the wind just kept blowing it open and shut, It just rattled all night . The room was freezing, as were we. Also, because the room was above the entrance, on the fifth floor, we could hear all the noise from the entrance of the comings and goings of guests etc. So we had no sleep and were very cold.
There was a flood of water behind the toilet, which we discoverd the next morning. We could hear the drip, dripping all the time we were there. but hadn't realised it was coming into our room. All of the pipes are enclosed in the wall, and the drip was obviously happening within that wall. We just kept soaking it up with the towels
We were only there for 24 hours, so did not have the time to deal with room changes etc.
However, when we checked out. I spoke to FRIDA, and we discussed all of these issues with her. She took my card with all of my details on, and said she was going to deal with the complaint and contact me. I have heard nothing from her or any representative of the Hilton.
I have stayed here before and have never had a problem, and always thought of the Hilton as a 'good' hotel. I would have expected them to have the facility to deal with complaints. They obvoiusly have none, or think if they leave it long enough it will go away. !!!!!

Room Tip: Check the door to the balcony works before you unpack Pay for your car park at the reception. The t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lairepmi
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I was very disappointed to learn of the maintenance issues you had experienced in your room. Typically, we would naturally have offered a room change, but understand you may have not wanted to do so as you were here only overnight.

All guest issues and complaints are responded to and I am sorry that on this occasion it would appear that we failed to meet our usual high levels of service.

I do hope that despite the issues experienced on this occasion, we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to demonstrate our usual levels of service.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I attended this year's Kitacon with a friend and we decided to stay at the Hilton for commodity mostly, as the convention was being held there too. I had read some awful reviews about it, and urged my friend to upgrade our room to a executive room. She did so, and we were very excited about our stay and the con.

We arrived a bit early for check-in and it was chaos. I can understand that with the Gadget show being held at the NEC and Kitacon itself being held at the hotel, the staff was slightly overwhelmed. However, that is no excuse for the poor service we received.

For starters, despite my friend requesting the upgrade via the webpage, we were told that there was no mention of it on the computer. When insisting that we had made the upgrade, we were told that we could still request it, but not at the special price stated on the webpage, but for an exorbitant amount. We politely declined.

We were then told our room still wasn't ready and that we would have to wait as they were very busy.

Curiously enough, for those not wearing a Kitacon badge/not in cosplay, they didn't seem to be very busy at all.

We then left our bags at the concierge (these were probably the only helpful people there) and left to check some stuff out.

After talking to some friends, we were advised to pay as soon as possible,vjust to ensure we would actually HAVE a room by the end of the day. We did so, telling again that we had asked for an upgrade to executive.This time we were told that due to how busy the hotel was, they could only offer us the executive for the Friday and Sunday nights. Seeing as we were only staying Friday, Saturday and Sunday, this would mean changing rooms 3 times in three days, so we had to decline.

The room we got was cold. noisy and the wind howled through it something awful. The thermostat didn't work and the pillows/duvet were feather, which made for very uncomfortable sleeping. The beds were tiny, more cots than beds and the TV only had a few channels. Why is it that you can't even get the freeview channels at a hotel?

The bathroom was small and the towels were raspy.

We ate a couple of times at the lounge. I had read that the food was good, but it was overpriced, and the quality was sub-par. The waiters were rude, ignoring us most of the time, even when we tried to order. And when we did order, they dallied and most of the time got the orders wrong! We were eating at Kitacon's buffet most of the time, but on Sunday I decided that I wanted to eat something other than burger or hot dogs, and ordered some chicken and chips with gravy. For £17 pounds I was given a quarter of a very small bird, dry and half done chips and no sauce at all. After trying to catch the attention of a waiter, one reluctantly approached and asked very rudely what was wrong. I told him there was no gravy, and he just left to get it. When he came back with it, it was in one of those little white dishes restaurants use for ketchup. Watery, and very poor quality, not to mention insufficient!

Check out was the only process that actually went smoothly in the whole weekend. It was very clear the staff couldn't wait to be rid of us,

Frankly, the only staff that were actually polite were the room cleaners and the concierge. The Hilton didn't manage to ruin my first Kitacon, only thanks to the staff of Kitacon themselves! Next time, despite the inconvenience, I shall stay at the Crowne Plaza where the staff seem to understand that PAYING clients are clients as well, no matter what they are wearing.

Room Tip: If you can afford to, upgrade to an executive. Friends who did didn't freeze to death.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LadyAvalon
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Lady Avalon

Thank you for taking the tie to post your comments.

Whilst I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed the Kitacon Convention, I was disappointed that you felt the levels of service you received were not as you would have expected. I can assure you that we pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of courtesy to all guests and apologise if you felt that this was not the case on this occasion.

I regret that you were unable to check-in earlier than planned due to the hotel being extremely busy at the time of your visit.

I was sorry to learn you had experienced problems with your thermostat. Our Maintenance team are on hand 24/7 and would always respond to a problem if they are made aware of an issue. I do however apologise for any discomfort.

Your comments regarding the service in our Lounge have been passed to our Food & Beverage Manager for his attention and I am sorry you were less than impressed with the service you received.

I do hope that you may reconsider and return to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

when I arrived there were no staff, I called over reception and finally someone appeared. No apology.
There was a Queue of 4 people and only 1 person serving.No body on the honours club desk either.
The lady that served we was incredibly rude, chewing gum, her uniform had been altered - the hems on the arms pulled down looking very tacky.
Finally I checked in. I booked a double no smoking, i walked in my room it was a single smoking room? I went downstairs and complained. I was offered another. I went to my room - someone was in it!!!
I was then told there were no more rooms. This was totally unacceptable. I was tired and had travel a long way, the staff were neither sympathetic or attentive to my needs.

A fellow colleague offered me her room in the end as she was staying with a friend. For the next 2 days there was no Wifi working and the staff were so disengaged.

Awful experience and will never go there again. I will not recommend this and it has put me off Hilton altogether.

Hilton you need to send someone to this hotel immediately as your brand is not being represented in the best light.

Regards

Room Tip: just hope you get what you booked for.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank piglett81

Dear Piglett81

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am very disappointed to hear of the experience you had when staying with us. I can most certainly assure you that this is not the normally high standard of service and courtesy we provide to all of our guests and your comments and observations have been discussed with our Front Office Manager.

I am also sorry that you had been allocated the incorrect room type - again this issue will be brought to the attention of our Front Office Manager.

I was surprised to learn that you had no access to wifi for a couple of days. We had no reports of any faults with the system. We do of course have complimentary wifi available in our Lobby area.

I do hope that despite the poor impression gained on this occasion, we may have the opportunity of demonstrating our usual high standards of service at some point in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Stayed here for Jubilee weekend and couldn't imagine that this Hotel was like the other Hilton s. This was far better in terms of cleanness, service and space. Stayed in a family room and was decent size. Had all the basic's like spa, health and fitness etc. Great place to be if you want to chill out and has free shuttle bus to the rail station. Only issue is to get the Birmingham Center which is 18 miles away via car.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to learn that you had enjoyed your stay with us over the jubilee week-end and that you had been impresse with the levels of service you had received during your stay.

Our Leisure Club is a great place to chill and relax and many of our guests return to us time and time again so they can unwind in pleasant surroundings.

Birmingham city centre is easily accessible via Birmingham International train station and our shuttle bus runs every half hour.

We hope we may welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here the night before flying out from Birmingham Airport. Check-in was pretty slow due to a convention crowd checking in the same time. The room was basic and shabby looking. The first surprise came when I sat on the bed and it went rolling half way across the room. The casters were not looked and the bed shook and moved every time I did. I phoned reception who said that they'd send maintenance to lock the casters into place. Ten minutes later they phoned back to say that they couldn't lock them and moved us to another room.

The person who moved us to a different room made some remark about that we shouldn't jump on them anyway and left us in another room. The bed situation was slightly better although they still moved easily.

The rest of the room was in need of decoration and was average. The only plus point to the hotel was the meal in the restaurant that was nice, although not worth the price charged for it.

Have been disappointed once again by a stay at a Hilton Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Cymro

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that we appear not to have met your expectations on this occasion and that you were disappointed with the decor in your room.

Your comments have been shared with our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer and we would thank you again for your feedback.

The hotel has a number of different room types and perhaps if you visit again, you may find one of our Executive rooms more appropriate.

I hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

I stayed 3 nights here in March and found the public areas were clean, accessible and stylish. The Reception staff were pleasant on arrival and the staff at Concierge services were very helpful and friendly.I must say that having waited 20 minutes for the free shuttle to Birmingham International station at the end of my stay, I gave up and took a taxi at the cost of £8, that's a disappointment. Breakfast was excellent quality and excellent value, there was a wide choice of produce to choose from (both hot and cold) that would suit any palate.

Where the public areas are well kept, I cannot say the same for the rooms which were tiny, badly lit and not particularly clean. On my 2nd night I needed a new desklamp as the one in my room was broken. As I was staying with colleagues for a trade show at the NEC, I got to see many other rooms too and they were pretty much the same. One colleague had peeling wallpaper by the bed - not what you expect from Hilton! Wi-fi is shocking and not cheap either. I had many problems connecting and nobody seemed too bothered that I'd pre-paid and couldn't get a service.

I know that my company secured a reasonable rate here during a busy trade show and that's the only reason I would personally choose to stay here. I believe there's better hotels in the NEC/Airport area that don't charge the earth for what is simply a known brand name.

Room Tip: Tip: Try and get a room on a high floor. There are many conferences/parties held in the hotel and I...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Dallas2Raleigh

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent visit to the hotel.

I am glad that you found the levels of service you received from our staff to be as you would expected. However I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your room

We do of course have larger room types available which yoo may find more appropriate for your requirements. The next phase of our refurbishment will undertake our single rooms.

Our courtesy bus service runs every half hour and I do regret that you experienced a delay in our service on this occasion.

We hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

I couldn't believe I'm staying at Hilton. The room was in terrible neglected condition.
dirty peeling walls and furniture.
This is apart from the fact that it was extremely small.
I took a short video:

Avoid if you can....

Room Tip: avoid lobby B!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank mori76
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#27 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!