“Would never stay there again”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Would never stay there again”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The food is horrendous, the staff mostly unfriendly (the cleaning ladies in my room were not only efficient but very friendly) a couple was... erm... being VERY friendly with one another in the hot tub by the pool and the staff did nothing. The room was very cramped and the walls intolerable thin. The prices they charged was astronomical for food, drink, taking cash out the machine. And soon as the nearby complex was mysteriously shut during this big conference if we wanted decent food we had to leave the area. It was that bad that when we next had an event at the Hilton we stayed at a hotel a good while away. Not at all impressed. The Park inn was a much nicer experience and had lovely rooms and staff... and prices.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I was surprised and disappointed that you found our staff to be unfriendly. As you will be able to see from other reviews, we are usually highly praised for the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff. However, I do apologise that you found this not to be so.

Again, very disappointed that you found the food not to your particular taste. We have a number of food outlets throughout the hotel, catering for all tastes and budgets.

I do hope you will reconsider and return at some point in the future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Just come back today from another amazing stay at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole - and we were so sad to leave!

It's such a fantastic hotel, we always have an Executive Room (which are great!) as it gives us access to the lounge, which is incredible - Gill and the team are all so lovely and make you feel so welcome, the nibbles and alcohol is very much appreciated!

The room, the breakfast, the pool, the lounge - it all makes for a brilliant stay and we can't until we come back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Jaybee

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

As regular guests you no doubt appreciate the benefits of our Executive Lounge and I am pleased that you find our team there friendly and helpful.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again shortly.

Church Stretton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Had an early flight to Amsterdam so opted to stay at the airport rather than having to drive at 3am in the morning. Location looked good away from the terminals, so thought I'd give it a try rather than the airport Novotel I'd used in the past. Room was fine, and staff friendly, but I was stunned by how noisy the room was. Lots of aircraft noise, and also lots of noise from other guests even though I was away from the lifts. I can only assume the hotel was under the landing or take-off path that evening or there was something wrong with the window sealing as the Novotel was far quieter. Despite this I'll give the hotel another try in a couple of weeks time as it is otherwise a nice hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback.

Whilst I was pleased that you had been satisfied with your room and found our staff helpful, I was sorry to learn that you had found the noise from aircraft disturbing.

Despite being close to the airport, we do not usually experience excessive aircraft noise, however I would apologise for any disturbace caused to you.

I am glad that you will return in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Huddersfield
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed overnight here for the RoSPA safety awards gala dinner and was pleasantly surprised by the standard of the hotel. The reception area was much grander than I was expecting and there was a handy cafe / bar area within the reception area with plenty of seating. There is a swimming pool within the hotel which is set in a 'conservatory' which gives it a lovely feel.

The rooms are fairly standard, but this is made up for by the rest of the hotel common areas. Even the toilets adjacent to the reception bar have been sylishly designed and fitted out.

Breakfast is buffet style with plenty of choice and lots of healthy options. The breakfast seating area is also nicely designed with plenty of seating.

I would recommend a stay at this hotel if you require accommodation near to the NEC as it is very convenient and is a very pleasant experience at the same time.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Whojoe

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay with us.

I am pleased that you had enjoyed your stay with us and were impressed by the standards within the hotel. I would also point out that the hotel has a number of different styles of bedrooms from our standard to Executive, Suites and Penthouse.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Ipswich
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed for a large meeting and banquet and found the service excellent and all the staff extremely helpful and polite. Nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Ipswich Holly

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I was very pleased that you found the levels of service you received to be excellent throughout your stay.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Chilbolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The balcony door handle was completely broken, it was just hanging in the hole. Therefore the only way of shutting that door was with the security latch ( which allows the door to be left ajar if you want air in the room at night.) Because it was a cold night we wanted it shut. As this was the only means of closing that door, we had to use it. However, it was a windy night, and the wind just kept blowing it open and shut, It just rattled all night . The room was freezing, as were we. Also, because the room was above the entrance, on the fifth floor, we could hear all the noise from the entrance of the comings and goings of guests etc. So we had no sleep and were very cold.
There was a flood of water behind the toilet, which we discoverd the next morning. We could hear the drip, dripping all the time we were there. but hadn't realised it was coming into our room. All of the pipes are enclosed in the wall, and the drip was obviously happening within that wall. We just kept soaking it up with the towels
We were only there for 24 hours, so did not have the time to deal with room changes etc.
However, when we checked out. I spoke to FRIDA, and we discussed all of these issues with her. She took my card with all of my details on, and said she was going to deal with the complaint and contact me. I have heard nothing from her or any representative of the Hilton.
I have stayed here before and have never had a problem, and always thought of the Hilton as a 'good' hotel. I would have expected them to have the facility to deal with complaints. They obvoiusly have none, or think if they leave it long enough it will go away. !!!!!

Room Tip: Check the door to the balcony works before you unpack Pay for your car park at the reception. The t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lairepmi
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I was very disappointed to learn of the maintenance issues you had experienced in your room. Typically, we would naturally have offered a room change, but understand you may have not wanted to do so as you were here only overnight.

All guest issues and complaints are responded to and I am sorry that on this occasion it would appear that we failed to meet our usual high levels of service.

I do hope that despite the issues experienced on this occasion, we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to demonstrate our usual levels of service.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I attended this year's Kitacon with a friend and we decided to stay at the Hilton for commodity mostly, as the convention was being held there too. I had read some awful reviews about it, and urged my friend to upgrade our room to a executive room. She did so, and we were very excited about our stay and the con.

We arrived a bit early for check-in and it was chaos. I can understand that with the Gadget show being held at the NEC and Kitacon itself being held at the hotel, the staff was slightly overwhelmed. However, that is no excuse for the poor service we received.

For starters, despite my friend requesting the upgrade via the webpage, we were told that there was no mention of it on the computer. When insisting that we had made the upgrade, we were told that we could still request it, but not at the special price stated on the webpage, but for an exorbitant amount. We politely declined.

We were then told our room still wasn't ready and that we would have to wait as they were very busy.

Curiously enough, for those not wearing a Kitacon badge/not in cosplay, they didn't seem to be very busy at all.

We then left our bags at the concierge (these were probably the only helpful people there) and left to check some stuff out.

After talking to some friends, we were advised to pay as soon as possible,vjust to ensure we would actually HAVE a room by the end of the day. We did so, telling again that we had asked for an upgrade to executive.This time we were told that due to how busy the hotel was, they could only offer us the executive for the Friday and Sunday nights. Seeing as we were only staying Friday, Saturday and Sunday, this would mean changing rooms 3 times in three days, so we had to decline.

The room we got was cold. noisy and the wind howled through it something awful. The thermostat didn't work and the pillows/duvet were feather, which made for very uncomfortable sleeping. The beds were tiny, more cots than beds and the TV only had a few channels. Why is it that you can't even get the freeview channels at a hotel?

The bathroom was small and the towels were raspy.

We ate a couple of times at the lounge. I had read that the food was good, but it was overpriced, and the quality was sub-par. The waiters were rude, ignoring us most of the time, even when we tried to order. And when we did order, they dallied and most of the time got the orders wrong! We were eating at Kitacon's buffet most of the time, but on Sunday I decided that I wanted to eat something other than burger or hot dogs, and ordered some chicken and chips with gravy. For £17 pounds I was given a quarter of a very small bird, dry and half done chips and no sauce at all. After trying to catch the attention of a waiter, one reluctantly approached and asked very rudely what was wrong. I told him there was no gravy, and he just left to get it. When he came back with it, it was in one of those little white dishes restaurants use for ketchup. Watery, and very poor quality, not to mention insufficient!

Check out was the only process that actually went smoothly in the whole weekend. It was very clear the staff couldn't wait to be rid of us,

Frankly, the only staff that were actually polite were the room cleaners and the concierge. The Hilton didn't manage to ruin my first Kitacon, only thanks to the staff of Kitacon themselves! Next time, despite the inconvenience, I shall stay at the Crowne Plaza where the staff seem to understand that PAYING clients are clients as well, no matter what they are wearing.

Room Tip: If you can afford to, upgrade to an executive. Friends who did didn't freeze to death.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LadyAvalon
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear Lady Avalon

Thank you for taking the tie to post your comments.

Whilst I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed the Kitacon Convention, I was disappointed that you felt the levels of service you received were not as you would have expected. I can assure you that we pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of courtesy to all guests and apologise if you felt that this was not the case on this occasion.

I regret that you were unable to check-in earlier than planned due to the hotel being extremely busy at the time of your visit.

I was sorry to learn you had experienced problems with your thermostat. Our Maintenance team are on hand 24/7 and would always respond to a problem if they are made aware of an issue. I do however apologise for any discomfort.

Your comments regarding the service in our Lounge have been passed to our Food & Beverage Manager for his attention and I am sorry you were less than impressed with the service you received.

I do hope that you may reconsider and return to the hotel at some point in the future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!