“Awful, awful and awful”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Have stayed at this hotel previously in 2011 and found it ok for an overnight stay. However on this occassion, no, no no. This is my 5th stay in Hilton in the last 7 weeks but fewer than my husbands 26 stays since January, so I am more familar than I would like to be about the brand and this hotel is ranked towards the bottom of my recent stays.

I think that some hotels believe that if a booking includes a child that they can palm you off with any old rubbish and we were put in an old pre-refubished room as a result. However note to Hilton, I do know that my husband was so disgusted he is now re-thinking his use of Hiltons for himself and his team of 10 after this particular experience. Hello Marriotts. All I can say is that if this is how you treat Hilton Honors members, heaven help everyone else.

Booked a Queen Executive room but was "upgraded" to a junior suite but this room (4216) was nothing like the pictures they show on their website or the room we had stayed in previously. This room may have been ok 30 years ago and even then along the lines of a nasty cruise liner, lots of brass, pine headboard and a shower cubicle that had more black mould than white grout at the point where the tile meets the shower tray. The bed was so hard we could not sleep. The sofa bed for our son, that mattress had seen better days 10 years ago.

We arrived very late in the evening after attending a family funeral and this was half way for our return home, so we were tired and wanted to sleep. The room was musty, the air conditioning unit pumped out the smell of marijuana (I kid you not and no I don't, but I know that smell). It was just awful.

The only plus points are the staff. Housekeeping provided us with extra pillows and towels despite the late hour. Thank you so much. The nice young man from maintenance came and fixed the TV which was not working and was very cheerful. The Executive Lounge at breakfast, lovely welcoming. Our son enjoyed the smoked salmon but says that some bagels would have been nice.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a modern room and if they offer you an upgrade to a junior suite, don't ta...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I went to the NEC to the commercial vehicle show, so no guesses the hotel was filled with Truckers and you couldn't move. The food there was great and we used the conference room for a meeting which was good. The service, once they got going was brilliant. This is great if you're off to the NEC.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear Kathy

Thanks for your review following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the levels of service to be brilliant. Thank you, your comments will be shared with the team.

I hope you enjoyed your commercial vehicle show and hope to see you back again with us soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

This is a huge hotel at the NEC. We used it as we got a good deal through Holiday Extras for 1 night's accommodation, breakfast and 8 days parking for £99. Free transfer service to airport by minibus. Hotel is fine for an overnight stay, breakfast was good, but the prices for coffee and drinks in the lounge are very expensive. No tea making facilities in room.

Room Tip: My advice is to look around for a good deal.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Wonderwoman

Thank you for your review.

We have some amazing fly and park deals available throughout the year and I am glad that you found your visit to be value for money.

I can confirm that all rooms provide tea/coffee making facilities, dependant on room type booked, these facilities can be found in the closet area by the wardrobe or in the storage area beneath the TV, i am sorry if this was not apparent to you.

I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Luckily only stayed one night in May when at a conference. Building was old and ugly from the outside but a very nice reception and bar area meets you when you get inside so things looked ok. Service at the reception was efficient.
Got to my single bed room and it was dreadful. It was tiny, in serious need of work as there were holes and scares all over the walls. The bathroom still seemed cira 1970s. Had to pay for wi-fi which in this day and age in a Hilton is bizarre.
Drinks were the normal Hilton rates. Only ate breakfast which was ok but the setting in a conference room, less so.
Will try the Marriott next door next year.

Room Tip: Try and get an upgrade, standard rooms are terrible.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for providing your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your room, and can confirm that the hotel has a variety of different room types and sizes and perhaops would suggest one of our larger rooms when you next visit.

The next stage of the hotel refurbishment will include the single rooms.

I do hope you will reconsider and visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Had the privilege of one of the executive suites in the hotel. Champagne and enormous bowl of fresh fruit was complimentary from the management - not sure if this is standard! Separate bedroom and large living style room both with larger flat screen TV's. Flat screen TV in the main bathroom, also a separate washroom. Good for entertaining guests or to double as a business meeting room. Also has access to executive dining room which is handy if all you want is a continental breakfast quickly without heading to the restaurant which is quite a trek (it's a big hotel). Only thing to watch is that it can be used by the airlines for a planload of disressed passengers if problems at Birmingham Airport.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear Alan

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay at the hotel.

I was pleased to see that you were impressed with your room and the amenities provided. Our Executive Lounge is very popular with many of our guests and we have a fantastic selection of canapes and afternoon tea cakes to choose from.

I do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I travelled alone and had a good deal for a twin room on lastminute.com. After reading other reviews I was worried of the sort of room that I would get but on arrival I received a modern twin room. The room was very clean and not too small. The only thing was that it was a joining room with the room next door and there was no lock on the joining door from my side. I therefore had to move some furniture against the door! The staff are all genuinely friendly - the reception, bar, housekeeing and at living well. I used the gym and pool which were busy but not crowded. I telephoned the previous day to make a spa appointment and they were able to fit me in and I had a lovely massage. The staff at the spa are amazing! Usual brilliant Hilton breakfast with plenty of choice - I went at 8am and it was quiet. There is also a free shuttle every half hour to the train station which I used to go shopping to the city centre. I was lucky to receive a nice room and therefore I would return.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Reviewer

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction and our team here friendly.

I was pleased to see that you had the opportunity to use our leisure club facilities and had enjoyed your Hilton breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I have visited this hotel many times on both business and pleasure. I have to say that the hotel delivers consistently on service. The front of house staff are always welcoming and keen to make your stay pleasurable, the rooms are of good quality and all of a contemporary modern design. My last stay was for a visit to Warwick castle and had an executive room which came with access to the executive lounge where I have to say the guys there looked after us very well. I can also thoroughly recommend a visit to the omelette bar during breakfast where everything is prepared fresh as you wait. The restaurant/breakfast room staff are helpful and willing, all in all this was an excellent short break in an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend an upgrade to one of the executive rooms, which are spacious and modern...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Chris

thank you so much for your review.

I was of course very pleased that you had enjoyed your stay with us again. We are ideally located for easy access to many attractions in the Midlands.

We hope we have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#25 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!