“Like a low cost airline”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

I attended a conference and I was very pleased to go to a Hilton Hotel.
But already when it came to parking I realised I had to pay £15 per day...outrageous.
While some of my colleagues got executive rooms, I was put in a room which wasn't up to a decent standard: two single beds, no mini bar, no safe for storing document and valuables, not even a small bottle of water.
I also had to pay for internet in the room, £15 per day again.
I mean, I've been in 3-star hotel far better than this one, which is not cheap my any means not taking into account the "extras" mentioned above.
I found the staff very nice and polite.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank nyarlathotep77
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Dear Nyarlathotep77

Thank you for posting your comments on this website after your recent stay with us.

I was surprised to learn that you had not received our guest discounted parking rate of £7 per night. I would of course be happy to refund the excess charge if you would contact me direct at the hotel.

I regret that you wre disappointed with your room type and can advise that we allocate rooms, as per the event organiser's instructions.

All of our rooms are fitted with a safe and i apologise if this was not apparent to you during your stay.

Complimetnary wife is of course available in our Executive Lounge and our Lobby area.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (5,509)

Reviewed 28 September 2012

This is a excellent Hotel to stay in if you want to park your Car. They don't take your keys of you your car stays where you put it, when you get back of you go.

The hotel was very clean and the room a very clean and good fixtures. Staff both in the restaurant and reception could not be more helpful.

Food at both Dinner and Breakfast very good.

The only thing to look out for is, while in the bar if you let them get your drinks you will be charged a service charge. Drinks are a little over prices about £9 for a glass of wine.

Spa nice but could do with a bit of a clean

However all in all a very good hotel for the airport we have already booked it again for our next holiday

Zoe and John

Room Tip: Make sure you book on the bus if you are going in the morning, to ensure you get a place
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Dear Zoe

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was pleased that you had enjoyed your stay with us and found our fly and park deal good value. I was also pleased to see that you ha enjoyed your dining experiences in the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

Attending a conference, I booked an executive room. Decent sized, couch and desk area which could be used for working.

Food was very good over the two days and all the staff couldnt be more helpful. The exec lounge is also a very nice hideaway on the top floor, just make sure you get access to their if you have an exec room as some of the cards our guests had didnt work on the door.

Overall would attend events at this hotel again and would use if flying from the airport.

Just some advice on the bar, pretty expensive!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your review on this website, following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was pleased that you had enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff members to be helpful. We aim to make everyone's stay with us as pleasant and relaxing as possible.

Our Executive Lounge is very popular and I was delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy the benefits there.

Thank you for your recommendation and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Attended a 2 day conference. Easy access to the M42 and on site parking. Railway station close by for those not travelling by car. Very pleasant, helpful staff. Food was excellent and interesting. Room had everything you would need for a short trip. Birmingham airport is nearby, so would provide an excellent stop over hotel.

Room Tip: Unable to help you here as it was not booked by me. Some rooms overlook the swimmig pool, but even...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jan T

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am delighted that you had enjoyed the food you had and found our team to bepleasant and helpful. We always endeavour to make everyone feel welcome and your recognition of this is most appreciated.

We hope we may welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

I only write reviews when it's necessary, and I feel that it is. I went to this hotel with a group of others for a wedding. When we arrived at the hotel the lobby looked nice and gave a good look for the whole hotel. However, when we checked in and were given our room key, we were not helped with our luggage and had to use the luggage transporters ourselves. When we entered our rooms to our surprise the room, all of them, we're ice cold. I thought maybe a window was open, so I checked the window and there was a massive gap in between the frame, my sisters room was also the same and the other people in our group also experienced the same thing, a cold cold room. When we asked if they could do something about this they gave us a foot heater. Made no difference. We made our way to the lobby to eat and I ordered a burger and the rest of the group ordered a few sirloin steaks and another Angus burger I believe. My burger was very oily and had a fried taste to it, my partners sirloin steak had the most awful smell of what could only be described as a 'farm yard'. This was also very very greasy. We sent it back. The others also sent theirs back as the same problem had arisen. When we went to bed we couldn't sleep due to 1) the noise coming from the front of the hotel and 2) the ice cold wind blowing through the crack of the window frame. Unbelievable, the next morning for breakfast we had a full fry up breakfast. Seemed nice, but once I bit into the omelette made for me, I almost vomited with the stench and taste. The eggs were off. The rest of the party we we're with withdrew from eating the fry up and changed to cerials toasts and fruit which seemed ok. That evening at the wedding we were served lamb along with Greek style dips such as tarama salata, humous and other Greek style dips. During my meal I felt as though I was going to vomit. This feeling slowly eased off and I got on with the night, NOT eating any more food. That next morning in the breakfast room there was an awful stench, which to me again smelt like off eggs. AVOIDED the breakfast so I had a pancake, which was Ice cold. I asked for a fresh one but they wouldn't accommodate, there response was , ask a waitress. I ate this pancake and we made our way back to London. NOW THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO BE MADE AWARE OF - on my return I felt bad stomach pains, constant visits to the bathroom and bad stomach pains, later that evening I could not stop vomiting, all throughout the night. I spoke to 3 others from the party we were with and there symptoms were almost similar, constant loo visits but without the vomiting. Never ever would I come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Dear Hotel Reporter 1987

I was most surprised and extremely concerned with your review, given the overwhelming success of the event you attended, Given the severity of your complaint, I am confused as to why this matter was not brought to anybody's attention during your stay. As such, it would be appreciated if you would kindly contact the hotel direct and respond to the separate email I have sent to you regarding this issue.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

We arrived back to the hotel at 1.30am this morning after 2 weeks away on holiday. On arrival at the airport we were informed by the hotel to get a taxi and they would reimburse the cost. We had left the car in the car park for the time we were away and were staying overnight on our return. We were extremely tired after a 4.5 hr flight and just wanted a peaceful sleep. We were somewhat worried to see a mass of people outside the entrance to the hotel who were obviously enjoying a night of drink and fun! Would this mean a noisy night we wondered? We worried unnecessarily. We were given a room on the 5th floor which was extremely comfortable and we got our untroubled sleep. I would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 397Novice

Dear Novice

Thank you for your recommendation and i was glad that you enjoyed a troublefree sleep when you returned from your holiday.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We booked the Birmingham Metropole Holtel for the evening prior to our annual jaunt to the BBC Good Food show in November .
The room was a queen executive and we had the executive lounge pass as well.
On arriveal we had a warm welcome despite all seeminly very busy
Three or four seminars and conferences on the go I guess that is the way of a business hotel.
We were given our room passes and off we ventured.
The main hall was light and airy,a swimming pool evident near the lifts and above we could see the heads of people using gym equipment looking down to the pool.
The corridors were clean and tidy, as we passed staff they said their greetings in one form or the other.
The room was perfect, nicely laid out,a view over the lake and everything pristine.
We got changed and went down to the executive lounge where we found a very attemtive lounge manager who showed us around.
So a couple of coffees later plus nicely prepared sandwiches, the use of wireless internet we departed to the room and prepared to go to the gym.
The gym was well equipped, airconditioned and had entertainment on each resistance machine.(not that I am too worried about having a tv whilst exercising.
After that it was back to the room, nice shower, change and relax.
Later in the evening we went back to the executive lounge and found a busy atmosphere with many people sitting chatting and eating/drinking.
The buffet provided was chinese and nicely prepared / presented. There were sandwiches and so on.
Alcoholic beverages available and you simply helped yourself. No complaints at all.
At around 8.30 the manageress of the Lounge ased what we were drinking and brought me a couple of drinks and offered a bottle of wine to my wife.
So off to bed......
Next morning. Breakfast in the executive lounge was in no way different to the quality of the day before. Perfect.
Check out was simple.
Off to the good food show we went and had a superb day out.
We are returning in November 2012

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.I particularly like the "Queen Room" with the view over the lake.W...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

What a great review - thank you so much.

You clearly did enjoyr your last stay with us and I am absolutely delighted that you found everything as you would expect.

Our gym is a fantastic place to relax and unwind after a hard day and our Executive Lounge also provides a great ambience to round offr the evening.

We look forward to welcoming you back again when you visit the Good Food Show.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#34 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!