“Very recomendable”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #74 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Defiantly worth every penny !!
No trouble finding the hotel it's self .. Close to birmingham city ,
Perfect location and the right information provided where to go and what attractions are available .
Food was lovely also overall Very excellent ! :)

• Stayed: April 2013
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Dear Melissa

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with us and I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

The lobby is pretty grand, and check in was smooth, although I was politely refused a "tab" because I didn't have a credit card - I normally put a pre-authorisation through. I was told I can use my card at the bar, so it shouldn't be a problem to pay as you go... which was true, but the card machine was powered by steam I think - it was excruciatingly slow. Anyway, the woman who checked me in was lovely, extremely helpful, and was a good start to my stay.

I was upgraded to a twin room over a single - this was a nice surprise. The room was just a bit bigger I was told. The was a of problem with the room though, the balcony door wouldn't close properly, so there was a bit of a draft and noisier than I would have liked. The room was a bit shabby though, and the bed wasn't the comfiest. The in room irons are horrible!!

We eat at the bar, and the food arrived promptly and was good. The service at the bar, was... ridiculous. Service was slow - I mean, 10 minutes waiting at the bar? I was the only one there, and staff would just walk past. I assume that they were busy with table service, the only problem was the table service was rubbish! Not once were we approached at our tables. I think it's pretty rude to shout at staff across the bar, so elected for the wait instead. If you have manners, then you are just ignored it seems.

The gent at the bar, was awesome though! He was helpful, he recommended a couple of drinks, and made some brilliant cocktails. His service was 5*! Shame about the rest.

Breakfast, was good. Pretty standard buffet selection for a 4* hotel.

The hotel is dated, and has lost its charm. It's convenient for exhibitions in the NEC, and I think that is its only redeeming quality. Although... next time, I'll try somewhere else.

2  Thank Paul P
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Paul

Thank you for providing your feedback.

I am pleased you had a smooth check-in experience and found our Receptionist helpful and friendly.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your room and your comments have been shared with the team.

Your comments and observations regarding the speed of service in the Lounge have been forwarded to our Food & Beverage Manager for his action. Please accept my apology for the lapse in service on this occasion. We always attempt to deliver an efficient service and I regret you experienced a delay.

I do hope that you will return to us again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night (room only) and had an evening meal in the lounge area. The hotel was bright, airy and very busy. Reception was fast and friendly. My room was well equipped and comfortable. I cannot fault any of the facilities, but would moan about the lack of free Internet access in the rooms - quite silly in today's world. I had a simple evening meal which was very good indeed. The NEC is a 5 minute walk away (brolly required if it is raining) that gives covered walking access to the Train station and the Airport.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnOF

Dear John

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments in relation to your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you were impressed with the levels of service you received and also glad you enjoyed your dining experience.

I woukld point out that complimentary wifi access is available in both our Lounge and Executive Lounge.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I've been to this hotel twice, but this is the first time I've stayed in one of the rooms.

I booked a single but once I checked in I got upgraded to a twin and the experience was quick, efficent and friendly and that's what I encountered every time I dealt with the staff.

One of the highlights is the huge bar and lounge area with a Costa coffee, it's so spaced out and not like other cramped lobbies which means you're having to shout over everyone.

The rooms are impressive, beds being single were comfortable, bathrooms were clean and spacious, the curtains defintely kept the light out while temperature of the room can be easily controlled, breakfast service was very good plus it runs for a long time which means you can have a longer lie in.

You can get lost in this hotel, which is partly down to the how the hotel is designed, but there's always staff on hand to help, car park layout is a bit all over the place but the prices to park are reasonable, while food (while good) can be a bit pricey but it all fairness it's not aimed at a market such as myself.

For the luxury traveller this is an ideal choice with everything offered including great views, good executve lounge access, gym, spa and the food options are ample, but for the budget councious which is where my chouces tend to lie, you may want to choose another option or wait for one of their sales where you can pick up some good prices for a room.

On a very "positive" note: One of my friends needed urgent internet access for a couple of minutes and she couldn't afford it, so staff at reception and in the business centre bent over backwards to help, very very impressed, we weren't even charged due to the urgent nature of the situation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Justin

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and were impressed with the helpfullness and friendliness of our team here. We always endeavour to make everyone feel welcome.

I do hope we may have the pleausre of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

40 minutes and two rooms later I managed to check in to a room above the bus and taxi stop, so not quiet. Shabby furniture, broken desk lamp and worn out mattress. Bar food staff who flew into a panic when conference guests came out together (ie. at the same time funnily enough!) for lunch and snapped at everyone and took 30 mins to serve a sandwich. Utter rubbish, should not be in the conference venue business.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Michele W

Dear Michele

i am sorry that you appear not to have enjoyed your stay with us and regret any disappointment exoperienced.

I was surprised to read your comment regarding the worn out mattress, as all mattresses were replaced within the last 6 months, however I appreciate that firmness of mattresses is a personal preference.

Whilst our team will always attempt to offer a fast and efficient service, I apologise that you experienced any delay on this occasion.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Went to see Beyonce so mhotel very close to the arena. ,The twin room was a little on the small size but it was no problem for an overnighter. THE BAR WAS VERY SLOW ON RETURN FROM CONCERT DUE TO Lack of staff so we didn't bother..Breakfast was first class, nice and easy checkout and the courtesy bus back to the station was very convenient. Would stay there again

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Kaz

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to hear that you had found the service in the Lounge Bar slower than would normally be the case. I will of course share your comments with our Lounge Manager for his attention.

I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast - always popular with our guests.!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Having visited this place to find the car park was full and i was diverted to the NEC car park and had to pay additional charges to park aswell as walk a substantial distance with luggage to check in and was not even offered any apology or complimentary drink at reception.
Finally got checked in to find my room was worse than a student dormitory, with a bed placed into one corner, an open plan bathroom and a balcony door which was jammed open so that it could not close!! Now I know its unlikely i would have been burgarled on the fifth floor but it was damn freezing through the night!!
Breakfast was a good choice but with the number of guests this place crams in (upto 1000 some nights), the mad rush and queues are inevitable so if you are in a hurry, leave plenty of time to get your breakfast. The food was nice and the staff were friendly and helpful but the hotel is a huge maze and it takes some time to find your way around and get your bearings especially after a flight and a trip around the nec carparks!!
Overall a good hotel but with some obvious issues to resolve. I have stayed in plenty of hotels and its unlikely I will be coming here again unless all others in town are full. Their loss but as a huge corporate, they wont feel it.

Room Tip: Ask for a upgraded room as the refurbished ones are not quite to Hilton standards, Cowboy builders!!

Dear Pillguru

Thank you for providing your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I regret that you were unable to use the hotel’s car park facilities. The hotel does have 700 car parking spaces which are normally adequate to accommodate those guests staying at the hotel and anyone wishing to use the leisure facilities. Of course, there are times when the hotel is completely full due to events taking place within the hotel and on these occasions the car park does fill to capacity and, indeed, we have had to direct guests of the hotel to the nearby NEC owned car parks during these periods.

I certainly appreciate the inconvenience that is caused when the car park is full, but I am sure you will appreciate that this problem can arise in any car park, e.g. shopping centres, sports centres.. etc. during those times when demand is heavy and I am afraid that there is little that we can do to alleviate the situation.

I was surprised to read your comment regarding your balcony door - we would of course have been more than happy to rectify the issue had we have been made aware of it at the time.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to tehhotel in the near future.

Ross Mounsey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#33 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!