“Hilton Metropole” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham NEC, United States
“Hilton Metropole”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

The hotel was very tired looking and in desperate need of an uplift and was very dark, the rooms didnt represent a hotel that was £230 a night, and also didnt represent what was shown on the internet, Breakfast was very poor, the hotel parking was very disjointed and the cost of drinking verged on extortion.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Richard S
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Richard

Thank you for providing your feedback following your visit to the hotel.

I was sorry to learn that we failed to meet your expectations in relation to your room. We do have a variety of different room types and size and without further detail, I am unsure as to which room type you occupied.

I was surprised to see that you were disappointed with breakfast. We usually receive very positive feedback regarding the quality and variety of choice from healthy options to a full English. However, I apologise for any disappointment.

I am sorry that you experienced difficulty with parking and would advise that our prices are monitored to ensure we remain compeitive with other 4 star hotels throughout the country.

I do hope that any disappointment on this occasion, we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Ross Mounsey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oxfordshire,UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I really can't describe how disappointed my husband and I were with this hotel. If we hadn't been here for a conference I wouldn't have stayed the full two nights. After the experience I realise they probably don't care what anyone thinks, as it's right next to the NEC and airport so they will always get customers, but I will certainly never go back and even if a conference was being held there, I would stay at the Crown plaza next door instead.
The rooms are OK, a bit small and dated as is the rest of the hotel. They seem to have been left behind in the usual Green credentials so many hotels try to achieve now - they don't care about using/reusing towels and in fact took ours away and didn't replace until I called house keeping.
The 3 lifts took forever to arrive - even at 7am on a sunday. The public toilets around the convention areas where very small cubicles - you could barely get in the door to close it.
There's no nice touches at all, I really did have a higher opinion of Hilton until I stayed here, and everything costs 3 times as much as anywhere else I've been. In all honesty we've stayed at some pretty expensive hotels around the world, but at least in those (most anyway) the service and all round quality was good. They stopped serving food on the Saturday evening in the main bar restaurant as they were too busy - surely with conventions going on they could anticipate that.
It took 5 minutes to even be acknowledged by bar staff when trying to get a drink one night - there were 4 barman and about 10 guests around a big central bar - so slow, didn't even look at us to say they'd be with us in a minute, just carried on slowly doing other non emergency things and talking amongst themselves. 2 standard alcoholic drinks cost over £12! And don't even get me on to the Costa franchise in the lobby where their small range of coffees are actually more expensive than the Costa coffees at the motorway services! I don't think they are doing the brand any favours there.A med Americano in a normal Costa is £2.15, here it was £4.10! At that point I left.
The lunches we had were expensive too, with service charge snuck into the bill - which I didn't notice the first time so they got a double tip out of me.
As I say the only thing that wasn't disappointing was the buffet breakfast which was unusually efficient and had a reasonable range of food options available.
I have to say I'm seriously worried about the Hilton I've booked for our main holiday in Oregon later this year and may re-consider for an alternative hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JRD_Oxon
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

I was concerned to see that you were disappointed with certain elements of your stay with us. Firstly, I can assure you that we most certainly do care what our guests think and we always endeavour to provide the highest possible levels of service. I do regret on the occasion of your visit, this proved a little challenging at times, and do hope you will accept my sincere apologies for any lapse in service. Your comments will of course be shared with the management team for their review.

Whilst we are indeed a large hotel, large sums have been invested to ensure the highest standards are maintained. I am sure youu will appreciate, the hotel has a wide variety of room types and sizes and perhaps I could recommend one of our larger rooms if you decide to visit us again.

Once again I apologise for any disappointment experienced and do hope that we may have the opportunity of demonstrating our usual high levels of service on a future visit.

Ross Mounsey

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

The hotel was actually much better than I had imagined from previous stays. The check was a really good experience and they were very friendly. I got an upgrade which was nice.

The room was OK, not very big but clean and well appointed

I had access to the Executive Lounge on the 5th floor. The lounge was quite good and had a good selection of food and drinks. There were the usual freeloaders who stayed until the free drinks finished and then disappeared.

The food in the bar was OK. We had a curry and it was average

Next morning the breakfast in the lounge was pretty good actually and the staff were good too

Same problems with all Hiltons it seems though when we tried to get a taxi. They just dont appear

I would definitely stay again and hope for a similar experience

Dear John

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to see that you had an enjoyable visit and we were able to offer a complimentary upgrade.

Apologies for the delay with the taxi - we usually don't experience problems with taxis, however demand at times can result in a slight delay - I will share your comments with our Concierge Manager - please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Bucks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

Here for a big meeting. Parking a hassle,not enough spaces and they are small so beware you may get jammed in! Loads of people smoking in the entrance area,so many you have to push through,ugh!
Reception just like a conveyor belt,no offer of early morning call,paper etc.My room was so small it felt like a prison cell. A loo ,but no door,ugh. A shower but no room for a bath. No holder for shop etc in shower and poor water pressure. Bed uncomfortable. Poor choice of tv channels. If you want internet you have to buy at reception i think.
Supper in Miller bar ,food good but small portions. Pint of Murphys £5 and they try and get away with short measures. They tried the same in the lounge bar too.
Breakfast usual stuff neither good nor bad.
Hotel packed with all sorts attending parties,conferences etc.,not very peaceful
Cannot wait to go to a real hotel not a corporate monstrosity .

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ChilternRugby
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in relation to your visit to the hotel.

although the hotel does hase in excess of 700 car parking spaces, at busy times, these spaces can fill quite quickly - an issue I'm you sure you will appreciate happens at many venues.

Our Reception team attempt to check in/out guests with optimum speed and efficiency and I regret that you may not have been offered a newspaper or early morning call. I will share your comments with our Front Office Manager.

Our refurbished single occupancy deluxe rooms have been designed to gain the maximum amount fo space for guests. With this in mind, the bathroom was designed with a shower cubicle onl7y. We have received many positive comments regarding the layout and I am sorry you were disappointed with the layout.

With regards to weights and measures, I can advise that our all of our food and beverage outlets are equipped with legal measures to ensure we comply with trading standards. We also ensure our tream are regularly trained in serving the appropriate measures required. Your observatrions have nonetheless been discussed with our team.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future, and perhaps I could recommend one of our larger type rooms might suit your preferences - I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Whitley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

Very impressive and huge hotel, very expensive and huge hotel too though.
Glad it was just one night as we attended a function.
Will remember to get a second mortage to cover food and drinks costs next time.
Rooms are looking a bit dated but everywhere else is very clean looking.
Overall perfect for location at the nec but thats probably why they get away with the prices.

Dear Tony & Mandy

Thank you for your comments.

I was pleased to see that you were impressed with the hotel and its facilities.

I can advise that our prices are regularly monitored to ensure we remain competitive with other 4 star establishments.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I recently attended a conference here and I was very impressed by the excellent customer service and attention to detail.

I had an executive bedroom, which was clean, spacious and had all the amenities I'd expect at a Hilton, including some complimentary snacks and wine waiting for me in my room on arrival.

I'd be happy to return here for future conferences.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Queneth_Veneth
Dear Reviewer

I'm delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable visit and of course very pleased that you were impressed with the levels of service you received during your stay.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Odiham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I stayed here for two nights during a major exhibition. It is a great location if you want to visit the NEC without having a major walk. Not so good are the prices for food and drink - they definitely have you at their mercy, as there is nowhere else to go.They have three restaurants on site - The Boulevard - self service - and closed when we were there. This was rather challenging, as The Miller - a la carte - is quite expensive and overbooked and in The Lounge - bar food/burgers - you could not book a table. We bit the bullet and ordered Room Service. Champagne is £10.00 per glass, Pino Grigio 250ml £10.00, a self service medium Americano from the Costa franchise £4.10 and a bottle of still water £2.30.
Breakfast is a joy with fantastic choices on the self service buffet and omletts are made for you to order at no extra cost.
WiFi, which should really be free - is only available free to Gold and Platinum Hilton HHonours card holders - otherwise a very hefty charge! Very annoying!
The guest rooms are fine - enough space and storage. Bathroom - also no complaint

1 Thank SueHS
Dear Sue

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We are indeed ideally located for the NEC, LG Arena and Birmingham International Airport.

The hotel does have a number of food and beverage outlets, which cater for most budgets. I was sorry to see that you were unable to secure a table in Millers, a very popular restaurants with our visitors and guests.

Our Hilton breakfast is a huge hit with all guests and I'm delighted you were impressed with wide variety of choise we have to offer.

I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Ross Mounsey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#20 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,228 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!