“excellent hotel”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #72 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 13 November 2013

this hotel is expensive without doubt. however, I was there for a conference and stayed in an exec room with access to the exec lounge. I could not reasonablly fault the rooms or facilities. breakfast was without the ommlette facility which I have had here in the past which is a shame.

will go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for feedback in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I was pleased that you had enjoyed your stay with us. Although we do not have the omelette station in the breakfast restaurant, we would always be willing to make one for you, upon request.

We hope to see you return again soon.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (5,560)

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Metropole as we were seeing a concert at NEC Birmingham. The staff were good but the hotel is tired and gloomy. Our room (junior suite) was very poor quality, torn carpet and wall paper, stains on the walls, mould in the shower. The sofa bed for the kids was so bad we had to get a duvet from housekeeping to lay over the mattress as all the springs were poking up and it was impossible to sleep on. Tried to call reception numerous times to raise matters but no answer. Breakfast next day in the "executive lounge" was busy, chaotic and unpleasant - too many people for the space though staff were doing a good job again of coping. Our experience was so bad we checked out a day early and left for home. I raised the matter with reception who handled well and promised a call, which was made. However when the matter was raised with the general manager, together with photos, we just got a standard response from his PA apologising "...for any disappointment...". This is an extract from the letter "The hotel is currently undertaking a huge refurbishment programme and whilst a significant number of bedrooms and public areas have been refurbished, there still remain a number of bedrooms that require attention." In other words, they accept that the room they gave us is rubbish but they are still happy to sell it at the standard rate and not warn people. I was shocked at the poor standard and response from the manager - expected better from Hilton.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank car_lra

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments.

I do hope the personal letter we wrote to you regarding the issues you raised and the level of compensation offrered by way of apology went some way to demonstrate our concern.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here the night before a trip abroad and parked my car for 16 days. At £90 seemed a reasonable deal and the hotel was just fine, comfortable, spacious and absolutely no problems getting the car parked. It seems the trick here is to check nothing is on at the NEC beforehand. On the night we arrived the car park was perhaps 70-80% full though I can imagine if there was a big event going off the situation could have been very different. The shuttle service to the Rail Station and Airport Monorail worked just fine though our return to the hotel was slightly delayed when a muppet had walked off the bus with the wrong suitcase (wasn't even the same colour!!!) and had to be chased down to correct the error. Would certainly use again if no event on at the NEC

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm delighted that you found our fly and park deal to be not only great value but a great service too with courtesy bus services to and from the airport.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a Friday night after seeing a concert in the LG arena. Paid £80 for a room which has certainly seen better days and bathroom was grubby. Service in the bar after the concert was absolutely disgraceful with 3 members of staff trying to serve over 100 people, utter chaos... Yet there were other members of staff in the restaurant not doing anything; when approached to ask if anyone else could help (after already waiting 30 minutes to try and get a drink) I got a blunt no and if I wanted anyone to go to reception... Helpful! I did venture to reception to find more chaos with one person trying to check in a queue of 8 and having no record of a booking... Again no one had any time for me. Housekeeping woke us up at 8am to clean our room even though we were only staying one night and check out at 11; annoying! All in all, overpriced, poorly staffed, staff they have got deliver zero customer service skills and a very disappointing visit. General lack of management and leadership, no one had a clue how to run a hotel that was there that night. Avoid at all costs, Hilton brand name tarnished by this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013

Dear Gemma

I was very disappointed to read your feedback and I do hope you will accept our apologies for the poor levels of service you experienced on this occasion. I can assure you that it is certainly not typical of the high standards that normally prevail at the hotel.

your feedback has been shared with the relevant managers for their review and action.

Once again my apologies for the poor impression gained.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Overall the hotel was a nice place to stay. However, due to various reasons the hotel was very busy. The staff applied themselves well trying to cope but were simply overrun by the number of people. Some additional bar staff in the evening would have helped as this was chaotic with simply no where to sit etc.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Martin

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

Your feedback will be shared with the team and I am pleased you had a pleasant stay with us and your comments regarding the bar have been noted.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I booked this hotel as I was going to an event at the NEC and wanted a name that I thought I could trust. Sadly with this hotel you cannot rely on the Hilton name. The car park was full to bursting when I arrived and eventually found a space. I had a lot of luggage with me as I was competing at the event the following morning but at no time did any member of staff offer to help me with my bags. The man behind reception when I checked in was unhelpful and left me standing at the reception for 10 minutes while he went to the office with no explanation.

Then the room, I had requested a double room with two double beds as a friend had come with me for support, the room had two single beds, on wheels with no headboard and one pillow each. The room was very dated and in need of redecoration. The room itself was tiny and not what anyone could describe as a double. The room was unclean and the bathroom was quite frankly disgusting with a cracked bath, dirt on the floor and someone else’s hair attached to the shaver socket.

The room was also next to the lift lobby which made it incredibly noisy and resulted in me being woken up constantly as people chatted outside the room.

There is a £15.00 per day for Wi-Fi which seems firstly very high and I am surprised that given this is mainly a business hotel that there is any change at al.

In the morning I had to leave early to deliver several boxes to the NEC so needs to drive. I asked someone as the concierge desk if guests had to pay full parking which I was told they did, this was a cost of £18.00 which I thought was incredibly expensive. When I came to check out I was told that in fact there was a guest rate of £8.00 per day but it was too late for a refund!

All in all this hotel is incredible overpriced at an average of £200 per night and I assume this is based on the name alone but if I were Hilton I would be removing it from the chain before it damages its reputation.

They seem to be trying to make as much money as possible for a very below average hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at the Premier Inn, it's also closer to walk to the NEC!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne W
Reviewed 12 November 2013

In the perimeter of the National Exhibition Centre in the outskirts of Birmingham lies this enormous Hilton. This American-size hotel caters for meetings, conferences and thousands of guests. Not cosy, but you'll find everything you need, including shops (again, very much American style). The choice of restaurants is poor though: a pity because it's very difficult to reach any other place from there. The rooms are good and quiet, in spite of the size of the hotel; the conference rooms are good for any size of meeting.

Room Tip: rooms at the back do not have a view on the enormous car park!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#36 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!