“Had a great conference here, & hotel room was lovely!”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Bristol, UK
“Had a great conference here, & hotel room was lovely!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was attending a 2-day conference here in November, so I thought I'd stay in the same hotel for convenience. I booked a single room as that was a lot cheaper than a double, and it was only me staying there.

The hotel was easy to find, and there was plenty of parking as I was concerned that I'd struggle to find a space as I was arriving late on the Friday night. But luckily it was fine, and the path to the hotel entrance was well-lit (always a plus when walking around a strange place at night!).

I checked in without any problems, and went to my room - I have to say I had been concerned about what I might find as some reviews had shared some horrible photos, but I was very lucky with my room (possibly because it was a Deluxe rather than a Basic room). I've attached photos of the room so you can see what I had.

I chose not to have breakfast added on as I am not a morning person at all, so I didn't want to get dressed & go downstairs for food, so I took porridge snack pot things with me so I could eat in my room. So I can't offer any advice about the breakfast as I didn't go for that option.

The event I was attending was in the Pavilion Room, and the hotel had put on tea & coffee outside the room for us to buy at a very reasonable price (especially for a Hilton!) - tea was £1.75 & a sandwich at lunchtime was £3.75, with 2 pieces of fruit for 80p. Obviously this was event-specific, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The Hilton team that were dealing with the event and the catering were excellent, very polite, friendly & helpful.

Checking out on Sunday evening was fine as well, there was a bit of a queue at Reception but then it was a busy time of day, but the person that served me was helpful & polite.

So all in all, I was really pleased with how my weekend went - the hotel room was lovely, and a real pleasure to come back to in the evening. The conference room was good & the staff that were helping out were great.

Room Tip: I would definitely go for a Deluxe room rather than the Basic room - judging by some of the other ph...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (980)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wiltshire
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

I was here for two nights on business and fortunate to have an upgrade to an executive room which includes access to the executive lounge: booze/non-booze and snacks in the evening included plus continental breakfast in the morning in this rarefied area - great service and very polite staff.

My room was OK - though considering it is executive orientated, there's a surprising lack of surface space in the bathroom. Lighting and mirror access poor for make-up and grooming. And VERY oddly, the hair drier is accessed under the flip top desk in the room meaning laptop, iPad, papers all have to be cleared off to use it. Grrr. These are the sort of design faults that management teams need to iron out by testing rooms as if they're the target customer.

It's a huge hotel but they manage a pleasant and efficient check-in. I noticed queues at peak times. There could be better guest info re fast check-outs: Premier Inns can do it!

Food at breakfast was very good and the lunch and dinner at my event was excellent - most impressive. Drinks in the bar are expensive - par for the course I guess, but £9.90 for a medium glass of wine might drive you to guzzle in your room or do what I did and have a lime and soda instead for £1!

This hotel chain drops brownie points from me (like the Holiday Inn group) due to outrageous wifi charges. People in the (working!) lift were complaining about it too. Other chains and independents provide it free rather than fleecing you for circa £15/24 hrs. This is now a deciding factor for me (where possible) when booking a hotel. Drives me nuts.

Overall - would return when free wifi is provided!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Car park full, freezing room with no heating, broken TV, busy hotel overrun with partygoers, freezing bathroom, long queue at check-in and a charge to use WiFi. Apart from Millers Restaurant and convenience to NEC I have nothing good to say. I shall not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Rodney T
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Rodney

Thank you for providing your feedback in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I was very sorry to learn that you experienced issues with the heating in your room. i can advise that our Maintenance team would have been only too happy to have rectified the issue for you had we have been made aware at the time. Alterantively, we would have offered a room change.

Our Reception team endeavour to check in guests as quickly as possible, however if a guest has a query this can cause a delay in an otherwise swift process. I apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result of this delay.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed Saturday night, hotel itself ok, though some staff seemed rather disinterested (I suspect that was the regional manner rather than anything more as they were perfectly pleasant on speaking to them).

The parking facilities however are a shambles. There was a wedding party that were leaving at the time I needed to myself. Talking to a person belonging to the party who had formed a huge queue near the concierge, it became apparent that the ticket machines to pay the extortionate parking fees were not working outside the banquet suite, and the machine outside reception also had a number of limitations in not accepting cards, £20 notes etc. Concierge were useless, happy to let the queue build despite it clearly being the hotel's fault that people couldn't pay (I did question why people had to pay at all to attend an external function).

On trying to exit through the gate, there were further issues as one of the gates did not appear to be working but there were no hotel staff near the gates to do anything about it. People did call back to reception, but again nothing was done as the hotel seemed determined to make every last penny from their parking facilities rather than accepting responsibility for the various problems and let both hotel and wedding guests actually leave the venue rather than trapping them in. All in all, took nearly one hour to get out to the car park. That's unacceptable and caused me to miss a business event.

If there is a chance that you will be using this hotel while on a timescale, do not risk staying here.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Daniel

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments.

I am sorry you were inconvenienced as a result of a malfunction with the parking machines, this issue was resolved as quickly as possible, but I do hope yu will accept my apologies that you were delayed in leaving.

Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Don't usually stay in Hiltons as often overpriced but was attending a seminar at he hotel following day. At checkin, apparently somone had me down as two occupants in the room whereas I was a on my own. This should have been simple to rectify, but seemed to take an age. Hotel room had two small single beds, which are on wheels and move when yo usit on them. Wallpaper was peeling, light above mirror in bathroom not working. Had drink in bar in the evening. Went to restaurant but had not booked and it was full. Okay except greeting member of staff looked down his nose with an attitude of distain that we thought we could arrive at his restaurant and walk in. Went back to bar and ordered starter and main course that arrived together. The wiater even apologised as he bought them. If he knew it was wrong why did he still bring them together?
Seminar was well run though and shower was acceptable, breakfast and breakfast staff were good and check out quick but overall you pay a premium to stay at a Hilton and quality of some fittings and some staff substandard.

Room Tip: Stay at the Crown Palaza next door
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Martin

Thank you for your feedback.

Whilst I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed yur breakfast experience, I was sorry to see that we had failed to meet your expectations in other areas. Please be assured your comments will be shared with our management team for their review and action.

I do hope despite any disappointment on this occasion we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Devon
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I booked a one night stay here to visit the UK's largest German Christmas market, the hotel is dog friendly and next to the NEC and Birmingham International train station. I booked a single room, but was allocated a double on arrival, and my Hilton diamond status also provides breakfast, which I took in the executive lounge.
The hotel is vast, and the lobby and main communal areas are very nice, the guest room floor was a little tatty though, it's clearly a very busy property. My room was comfortable and clean, what more can you ask? Breakfast had a good range, including a great selection of fresh fruit, seasonal berries, etc...
The staff I encountered were friendly and helpful, as were the people of Birmingham. I paid a great rate of just £46 in their flash sale, and would definitely stay here again, and recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer

I am pleased that you found your recent stay with us to be great value for money. Great deals to be had throughout the year!

I hope you enjoyed your visit to the German market, a very popular attraction to the area at this time of year.

We hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Third year staying here for show at NEC, which is why we book as the hotel itself is ideal for the NEC, with a shuttle bus to the station, which is great, but it's also walkable too.

The room was adequate, clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was heaving, 5-10min queue to get cooked items.

Costa coffee in foyer £5 for a simple latte... Why? It's the same as in shops?!

Parking £8 per night... Extortionate... Can't understand why, as a guest I should pay extra to park in an outdoor carpark, which was muddy too.

Also an additional £1 added to my bill for charity, shouldn't assume that I want to donate... ASK ME!

Getting in and out of the hotel is a health hazard as it seems no one can read the signs and everyman and his wide are smoking right by the door... Most unpleasant.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Nina

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay with us.

The hotel does operate a parking charge policy and our guests receive a discount on parking. I was puzzled as to how you found the car park "muddy" as our car park is tarmac.

The charity donation can of course be removed upon request.

Whislt thehotel does provide smoking shelters for guests to use, unfortunately, not all guests use this facility. We do of course try our best to manage the situation, however when the hotel is busy this can prove a little challenging.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!