“Excellant hotel but!!”

Ranked #71 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Papantonia Hotel
“Excellant hotel but!!”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel last weekend . It was in a great location. Buses into city centre every 3 or 4 minutes. 15 mins from Solihull. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was very clean and comfortable. However the breakfast really lets this hotel down. We werent expecting much from a continental breakfast but were very dissappointed. We came down at 8.15. Breakfast started at 8. There was only two other couples there. No bread! The girl got her coat on and said she was going to get some. Choice of only 2 cereals! Not great for kids. Coffee, juice etc ok but had to ask for milk. No butter (only margarine) On 2nd day the staff really couldnt cope with all the guests that came at once (around 3 couples and 2 families)

Room Tip: Rooms at back less noisy although traffic noise didnt keep us awake
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (961)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Braintree Essex UK
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This place is huge, but it is a very expensive soulless box.
Room I had was comfortable enough.
No free wifi, though. £8 to park.
Worst breakfast I have ever had in a hotel. Lousy buffet job, with everything lukewarm. The eggs were like those rubber ones you get from the joke shop. Black pudding was dried out, miserable tiny sausages.
Bar really busy, with limited seating. No real ale on offer, just gassy keg beers.

We couldn't get in the main restaurant so had to have the buffet meals, these weren't bad, but again weren't exactly piping hot. Overpriced for what they were. The only good thing was you could eat as much as you wanted, and go back round.

I would not revisit, I would rather go else where.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

First and Last time at a Hilton , visiting the bike show, location is obviously good but 20% more on same deal in the crown plaza! Millers restaurant £97 for steak and Chips twice and Low rent bottle of red . tired room , £8 to park your car unbelievably as a resident and that's if you can get a space the day we stayed we had to wait for 35 minutes to get one. Duvet too thin and no extra blanket in wardrobe. Why no drinking water in room? Why no face flannel?
And charging £15 for WiFi in 2013 is a salute disgrace.(free in the bar,come in guys don't rip off paying guests)
I represent a large organisation who do use the Hilton group for conference facilitates in the UK but after my stay here and the daylight robbery we experienced , we will NOT be using the Hotel chain again. Mark

1 Thank mark g

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

stayed here when on are travels to africa had to get a connection in birmingham was just what we needed loved the room though we only stayed a few hrs lol we arrived to early for check in though there was no problem with using facilities staff were more than helpful wife made much more use off them than i did but will certainly stay agian if we have the chance good team on the door met with a smile and a big hello thankls for a pleasant if brief stay

Bristol, UK
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was attending a 2-day conference here in November, so I thought I'd stay in the same hotel for convenience. I booked a single room as that was a lot cheaper than a double, and it was only me staying there.

The hotel was easy to find, and there was plenty of parking as I was concerned that I'd struggle to find a space as I was arriving late on the Friday night. But luckily it was fine, and the path to the hotel entrance was well-lit (always a plus when walking around a strange place at night!).

I checked in without any problems, and went to my room - I have to say I had been concerned about what I might find as some reviews had shared some horrible photos, but I was very lucky with my room (possibly because it was a Deluxe rather than a Basic room). I've attached photos of the room so you can see what I had.

I chose not to have breakfast added on as I am not a morning person at all, so I didn't want to get dressed & go downstairs for food, so I took porridge snack pot things with me so I could eat in my room. So I can't offer any advice about the breakfast as I didn't go for that option.

The event I was attending was in the Pavilion Room, and the hotel had put on tea & coffee outside the room for us to buy at a very reasonable price (especially for a Hilton!) - tea was £1.75 & a sandwich at lunchtime was £3.75, with 2 pieces of fruit for 80p. Obviously this was event-specific, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The Hilton team that were dealing with the event and the catering were excellent, very polite, friendly & helpful.

Checking out on Sunday evening was fine as well, there was a bit of a queue at Reception but then it was a busy time of day, but the person that served me was helpful & polite.

So all in all, I was really pleased with how my weekend went - the hotel room was lovely, and a real pleasure to come back to in the evening. The conference room was good & the staff that were helping out were great.

Room Tip: I would definitely go for a Deluxe room rather than the Basic room - judging by some of the other ph...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Wiltshire
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

I was here for two nights on business and fortunate to have an upgrade to an executive room which includes access to the executive lounge: booze/non-booze and snacks in the evening included plus continental breakfast in the morning in this rarefied area - great service and very polite staff.

My room was OK - though considering it is executive orientated, there's a surprising lack of surface space in the bathroom. Lighting and mirror access poor for make-up and grooming. And VERY oddly, the hair drier is accessed under the flip top desk in the room meaning laptop, iPad, papers all have to be cleared off to use it. Grrr. These are the sort of design faults that management teams need to iron out by testing rooms as if they're the target customer.

It's a huge hotel but they manage a pleasant and efficient check-in. I noticed queues at peak times. There could be better guest info re fast check-outs: Premier Inns can do it!

Food at breakfast was very good and the lunch and dinner at my event was excellent - most impressive. Drinks in the bar are expensive - par for the course I guess, but £9.90 for a medium glass of wine might drive you to guzzle in your room or do what I did and have a lime and soda instead for £1!

This hotel chain drops brownie points from me (like the Holiday Inn group) due to outrageous wifi charges. People in the (working!) lift were complaining about it too. Other chains and independents provide it free rather than fleecing you for circa £15/24 hrs. This is now a deciding factor for me (where possible) when booking a hotel. Drives me nuts.

Overall - would return when free wifi is provided!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Car park full, freezing room with no heating, broken TV, busy hotel overrun with partygoers, freezing bathroom, long queue at check-in and a charge to use WiFi. Apart from Millers Restaurant and convenience to NEC I have nothing good to say. I shall not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Rodney T
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Rodney

Thank you for providing your feedback in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I was very sorry to learn that you experienced issues with the heating in your room. i can advise that our Maintenance team would have been only too happy to have rectified the issue for you had we have been made aware at the time. Alterantively, we would have offered a room change.

Our Reception team endeavour to check in guests as quickly as possible, however if a guest has a query this can cause a delay in an otherwise swift process. I apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result of this delay.

Kind regards

Max R Flude
Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 118 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,302 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!