“Spa day”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Spa day”
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I booked a spa day for me and my cousin's belated birthday presents on the 28th October we found it abit difficult to park but managed to find a good space after driving round for a few minutes but was not impressed with the price of the parking £7 and we was only booked in for two hours! The outside didn't look appealing you would of never of thought it was a high rated hotel. Obviously inside it was very nice we walked over the to spa area and the pool looked alot bigger on the website and you could only swim around the sides as thete was ropes right in the middle of the pool for people to swim laps only. The jacuzzi was very small and we never got the chance to go in as people just hogged it for ages. My cousin got her treatment first and was very impressed I however had to go to the gum for half hour to get my moneys worth as time was ticking.The gym was very small and only had equipment that would only really work mainly on your legs and the rowing machines was a joke never broke out in a sweat. The therapists was very helpful and friendly they told us where to go where to get our towels, robes, slippers ect. They pointed us to the right desk to signfor them and the staff there just ddidn't seem bothered to help to direct us to the changing rooms ect. They was too busy chatting and looked like they clearly didn't want to be there expecially the one with the blonde ponytail! So be warned she's un approachable but again the nice friendly therapist's led us in the right direction. I had my treatment and it was fantastic the room was so relaxing I could of easily fallen asleep she was that good. The sauna was just to much for me I couldn't hack it no more than a minute I felt like I was going to die at one point but the steam room was nice felt very refreshing once id been in. Me and my cousin couldn't do much together because we both had half hour difference between us so you did feel alot of the timevon your own. The floor by the showers leading to the sauna and steam room was dangerous I know it couldn't be heloed but maybe the plans for where everything was located wasn't carefully planed out properly and no signs to say wet floors either. Maybe a steam room a sauna and shower shouldn't be next to each other am surprised they haven't been sued I know I slipped atleast 20 times luckily not on my behind! The changing rooms was very embarrassing I know us woman all have the same but I personally don't feel comfortable getting undressed infront of my partner let alone a bunch of strangers and there was a few woman of the Muslim religion did not want to show others there bodies infront of people either as we onow from there beliefs they have to be covered up I did feel sorry for them. The lockers some didnt work properly the staff failed again to tell us you needed a pound coin for the lockers and not all of them had ones with a pin key a key to pin onto your swimming costume whilst your swimming ect. I think the therapists need to be praised with the way they delt with the incompetence of the other staff doing there job for them and dealing with un organisations of the place. I will however consider coming back again for what I paid it was worth the money but next time I would like my complimentary herbal tea on arrival I was offered in the package I paid for!

• Stayed September 2013
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Cathy

Thank you for your comments.

I was pleased that you had enjoyed your spa treatments, although sorry to see you were disappointed with certain aspects of your visit to the gym. Please rest assured your feedback will be shared with the Leisure Club Manager for his review with the team.

I'm glad that you will return in the future and we look forward to offering you a warm welcome then.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (965)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
cumbria
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed here last year, which is why we went back., this time was very disappointing will not be going back again. The twin room was small and the comments from previous occupants were still in the room and had not been handed in which we read,(over priced and hairs in the bath) so I looked in the bathroom and they were still there( hairs in the bath), so obviously this had not been cleaned,dirty mirror ,dirty windows,not what you would expect from the Hilton.when we told reception about this,oh very sorry will make a note of it,no eye contact as she was busy organising here paperwork, not very professional at all,we could of gone to a premier in and got better service.VERY VERY dissapointed.for what they charge they could use the money to bring the decor up to date

Room Tip: When booking don't go for twin beds,they are small and very narrow
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris B
Dear Chris

Thank you for your feedback.

I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with yuor experience on this occasion. Your experience is certainly not reflective of our usual high standards and I can confirm that the issues you highlighted will be discussed with each relevant manager.

Plese accept my apologies for the shortcomings you had during your stay and I do hope you will reconsider visiting us again at some point.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here because we were attending a charity ball and it was ok for that, certainly wouldn't stay here out of choice if weren't going to an event. Hotel facilities are good but rooms are a little dated and in need of some renovation. Drinks are very expensive, £4.70 for a medium takeaway latte at Costa Coffee is ridiculous.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Phil

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I can confirm that the hotel is constantly updating and renovating the property and I regret any disappointment you experienced on this occasion.

I do hope you consider returning in the future.

Sheffield
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. The hotel was busy the first night so we could only be offered a twin room but staff were happy to move us into a double room for our second night. The place is on a very grand scale and the service at reception and in the Executive Lounge was impeccable. The only downside was we felt the cleaners who were cleaning the rooms on our corridor seemed to visibly begrudge the fact that we had organised a late check out. This should really be kept underwraps to the guests no matter whether this provides a problem to their daily duties.
The facilities on offer are good although, the place is a little dated and could at some point in the future do with a bit of a facelift. The shop seems to sell some very touristy things which don't seem to be in keeping with a 4 star hotel.
We enjoyed our stay all the same.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Lou

I was pleased to see that you had overall enjoyed your stay with us and that the service you received from our team was friendly and efficient.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed for two days earlier this month and was really impressed by this hotel. Rooms are clean, have everything you need and a security guard even walked me and my partner to the pond by the NEC after asking him for directions! Can't remember his name, but may have started with a 'J', and he was very polite and helpful.

Went to the German Market in the evening also and had a great time and the transport links back to this hotel are top notch. Would stay again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, following your stay with us.

I regret that had a delay at check-in - we normally offer a very efficient check-in process, however would offer my apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I can advise that our peices are in line with other 4 star establishments throughout the country and are regularly monitored to ensure we remain competitive.

Thank you again for your comments.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The good: very easily accessible on foot from the NEC/airport/train station, and breakfast was good. The not so good: everything else!

Upon arrival at around 8.45pm, the check in queue was over 30 people long with just one staff member on the desk, luckily there was a slightly shorter hilton honours queue but the wait was still far too long. Hotel huge so lots of lift lobbies, the one I had to use had half the lifts out of service and I waited for more than 5 mins each time. Breakfast was usual hilton standard, plenty of variety and seated promptly seated so that was a high point.

The prices are ridiculous at the hotel, £2.30 for a small bottle of water, and drinks/food at the bar were heavily overpriced.

Room was lacklustre and in dire need of updating. Comfortable but bathroom starting to look grimy etc. due to age. Aside from the queue and lift nothing really worth complaining about, just a distinctly average hotel. Maybe a trip to Vegas is in order so the team can see how to run an enormous hotel in style?!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed last night as we had visited a show at the NEC just a few minutes walk away
After a lengthy queue at check in we went to our room which was nice and clean and very comfortable.
We had an executive room which gave us use of the VIP executive lounge which was good, The male host (Simon) was very accommodating and was interacting with all of the guests while it was very clear that he and the other staff were rushed of their feet, there were not enough seats for everyone but we managed with the help of Simon to get a table. The only downside to the Executive lounge is that there wasn't a continual supply of food!
The following morning we used the swimming pool where the staff were equally as friendly and helpful.
I would stay here again as it is a nice hotel.

Room Tip: pay extra for executive lounge
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Stephen

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide your feedback following your visit to the hotel.

I'm pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the benefits of our Executive Lounge.

We hope to see again soon.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#23 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!