“Good Hotel for NEC”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 December 2013

For a chain Hotel this is very good,always our first choice when visiting the NEC as you can walk there. Rooms typical for a chain but very clean and well appointed. Would like free Wi Fi in the rooms though I think a must in this day and age. Its not always convinient to go to the bar and I dont think paying is acceptable. Staff helpful and friendly. Food okay but a bit pricey for what it is.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments in relation to your visit and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and found our team as frinedly and helpful as always.

We hope to see you return again soon.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (5,588)

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great hotel, room had everything and I was given a nice corner room with a view through the upgrade when booking system. I even felt comfortable to invite a business friend over to the hotel for lunch the next day. Only downside was there was some dirty dishes left in the corridor as I walked through and a lift was out of order which made the hotel look a bit dirty on first pass but I didn't judge on these things alone as they can happen.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Liam

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I was glad to see that you were impressed with the hotel facilities and enjoyed your stay with us. Apologies for any inconvenience caused by one of the lifts being out of order. I'm pleased to advise that this issue has now been rectified.

We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife and I stayed her for 1 night on Saturday 23th November.
We were taking advantage of the free car parking while we enjoyed a weeks Holiday in Tenerife.
The room was excellent. We did intend traveling out to a restaurant but because of the crowds we decided to enjoy a meal. Although slightly expensive we both enjoyed it and would recommend.
We asked at the desk about the transfer and the gentleman "booked" us in for 9:00 am next morning. When checking in the girl had gave us a car park exit ticket in a nice cardboard sleeve.

We got back to Birmingham airport at 21:00 hrs. a week later. Just as we arrived at the station we could see the minibus driving away. I found the card board sleeve with the exit ticket but was amazed to discover that the Hotels number was no where to be seen. After more rummaging I found some paper work and rung the Hotel. After all the "filtering" I was asked to press "0" to speak to reception.....the line went dead. I repeated this operation 4 times and the same thing kept happening. I decided on a different tack. I would press "1" and talk to reservations and ask to be transferred. These people sounded like they were from the other side of the world but said they would transfer my call. 4 calls, 4 different people, 4 attempts to transfer my call...and all of them failed to do so.
By now we were starting to wonder weather we were ever going to get picked up. We had to book our ride down and was sure we had to book our ride back, but could not ring anyone.
2 other people arrived at the stop and were also back off Holiday. I asked them to try ring the Hotel but as they were about to the minibus came round the corner.

When we arrived back at the Hotel we went inside to the desk and complained.
I showed the gentleman on the desk my I-phone clearly showing 8 attempts to ring.

Why wasn't the hotels phone number on the cardboard sleeve?
Rather than being made to "filter" could we not have a minibus direct number?
Why did we have to book the ride down, and not the ride back?

A bad experience

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you had enjoyed your stay with us and had also had a pleasant meal in the restaurant.

I was sorry you experienced difficulty in contacting the hotel to arrange collection from the airport. Although our shuttle service runs every half hour, we do always recommend calling from the courtesy phone situated in the airport. Your comments will however be shared with the Front Office Manager for his review with the team and again I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I do hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here whilst visiting the BBC Good Food Show recently and have to say was a little disappointed. Mainly with the uncomfortable bed and pillows which made for a bad nights sleep. In addition to that the room constantly smelled of the food being cooked so it must have been above or close to the kitchen. And I know room service is notoriously expensive but even so I think £40 is a little much to pay for a bowl of Spag Bol, a pizza and 2 bowls of chips. Don't think I'd rush back to be honest and might go a couple of miles out which would probably be better value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Reviewer

I'm sorry to see you were disappointed with certain aspects of your visit to the hotel. All of our mattresses have recently been replaced and I regret that you felt they were uncomfortable for you.

Our prices are in line with other 4 star establishments and are constantly reviewed to ensure we remain competitive.

I do hope you reconsider visiting us again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here on Saturday night for a 10th anniversary and found everything to be excellent, especially the service from the front of house team - in particular Celine - for whom nothing was too much. We stayed in an executive room with a lake view which was lovely and clean with a very comfortable bed. The very busy executive lounge was very good and Simon and the other staff worked tirelessly to keep everyone happy. The transport link to New Street was great and the shuttle bus runs every half hour. All in all, can't recommend enough. Bar prices are expensive, but this is what I would expect.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CAMMY69
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Cammy

thank you for such a great review - so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Visited here for sat night stay, busy reception on arrival but checked in quickly, staff member doing check in was miserable and looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but there. However concierge very helpful.

Room ok, bathroom extremely dated and floor flooded on arrival. Room clean, on the small size, no fridge in room

Used the leisure facilities and again ok, nothing special.

Was at an event and food was again okay, the service was slow and plates taken prior to finishing, half table offered coffee but then rest ignored

Awful night sleep due to noisy generators at back of hotel, windows old and not very sound proof. Next day corridor to get to lift stank of vomit!

Check out uneventful, courtesy bus to train station, lovely very helpful driver

To sum up, okay hotel but expect more from a Hilton

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in relation to your recent visit to the hotel.

I was pleased that you had enjoyed certain aspects of your stay with us and would apologise for any shortcoming you experienced. Rest assured your comments will be shared with the management team for their review.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I booked a spa day for me and my cousin's belated birthday presents on the 28th October we found it abit difficult to park but managed to find a good space after driving round for a few minutes but was not impressed with the price of the parking £7 and we was only booked in for two hours! The outside didn't look appealing you would of never of thought it was a high rated hotel. Obviously inside it was very nice we walked over the to spa area and the pool looked alot bigger on the website and you could only swim around the sides as thete was ropes right in the middle of the pool for people to swim laps only. The jacuzzi was very small and we never got the chance to go in as people just hogged it for ages. My cousin got her treatment first and was very impressed I however had to go to the gum for half hour to get my moneys worth as time was ticking.The gym was very small and only had equipment that would only really work mainly on your legs and the rowing machines was a joke never broke out in a sweat. The therapists was very helpful and friendly they told us where to go where to get our towels, robes, slippers ect. They pointed us to the right desk to signfor them and the staff there just ddidn't seem bothered to help to direct us to the changing rooms ect. They was too busy chatting and looked like they clearly didn't want to be there expecially the one with the blonde ponytail! So be warned she's un approachable but again the nice friendly therapist's led us in the right direction. I had my treatment and it was fantastic the room was so relaxing I could of easily fallen asleep she was that good. The sauna was just to much for me I couldn't hack it no more than a minute I felt like I was going to die at one point but the steam room was nice felt very refreshing once id been in. Me and my cousin couldn't do much together because we both had half hour difference between us so you did feel alot of the timevon your own. The floor by the showers leading to the sauna and steam room was dangerous I know it couldn't be heloed but maybe the plans for where everything was located wasn't carefully planed out properly and no signs to say wet floors either. Maybe a steam room a sauna and shower shouldn't be next to each other am surprised they haven't been sued I know I slipped atleast 20 times luckily not on my behind! The changing rooms was very embarrassing I know us woman all have the same but I personally don't feel comfortable getting undressed infront of my partner let alone a bunch of strangers and there was a few woman of the Muslim religion did not want to show others there bodies infront of people either as we onow from there beliefs they have to be covered up I did feel sorry for them. The lockers some didnt work properly the staff failed again to tell us you needed a pound coin for the lockers and not all of them had ones with a pin key a key to pin onto your swimming costume whilst your swimming ect. I think the therapists need to be praised with the way they delt with the incompetence of the other staff doing there job for them and dealing with un organisations of the place. I will however consider coming back again for what I paid it was worth the money but next time I would like my complimentary herbal tea on arrival I was offered in the package I paid for!

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Cathy

Thank you for your comments.

I was pleased that you had enjoyed your spa treatments, although sorry to see you were disappointed with certain aspects of your visit to the gym. Please rest assured your feedback will be shared with the Leisure Club Manager for his review with the team.

I'm glad that you will return in the future and we look forward to offering you a warm welcome then.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Genting Hotel
Genting Hotel
#6 of 118 in Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!