“A small village with rotating residents poor & expensive”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“A small village with rotating residents poor & expensive”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I appreciate by location it is a transient venue therefore the customer care is limited as you may or may not return deepening on your Job or frequency of exhibitions/concerts.

Booked a double room got a twin, with light bulbs dangling from their holders, TV did not work just said searching al the time after 4 hours of being on…..

A big and rambling place with some good staff and some who blend in to whats happening, food and drink expensive, breakfast average with poor quality coffee.

Bathroom tired and poor quality fixings.

Walls were not insulated hear both rooms either side have their good night conversations one with his girlfriend the other with the kids very clear sound.

On the plus the transfer from the station to the hotel was good and the driver was useful fun and chatty.

Attended a breakfast seminar in the hotel and glad i eat in the breakfast area the buffet breakfast looked awful.

A place anyone could blend in staff, guest or criminal who would know….

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, view the rooms on line and read reviews, or expect what it is for venue
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Rob

I was disappointed to see that you did not appear to enjoy your stay with us. Your experience is certainly not reflective of the usual high standards that prevail at this hotel. However, your comments have been shared with the management team for their review and I would apologise that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed at the Hilton on the 7th Dec 2013 , room was clean , warm and well appointed. My wife is a smoker asnd we asked for a smoking room which was available Staff very helpful and always on hand to help. Function room and meal was good with plenty of room to enjoy the function. Well worth the stay and would definatly stay there again

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Richard

Thank you for taking the trouble to write your review.

I'm delighted you and your wife had such an enjoyable stay with us and I very much hope we see you return again soon.

Olney, United Kingdom

Almost lost for words.
We've stayed in some top hotels, but the prices here were just ridiculous for what is effectively a hotel on a business park !
Room & breakfast was very average, but £12 for a glass of wine & they still charge you £8 to park is just unbelievable.
If you need to stay near the NEC I'd advise anyone not to stay here - either get the train back into Birmingham or get a taxi 5 miles down the road (Meriden has several hotels).
I hate being ripped off so never ever again for us.

Room Tip: Try another hotel unless you don't mind being grossly overcharged
Dear Ian

Thank you for your feedback.

With regards to prices, I can advise that our prices are regularly monitored to ensure we remain competitive with other 4 star establishments throughout the country and I can assure we are in line with such other properties.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Leek, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed at the Hilton NEC last night to go to Status Quo gig.1st impressions not good we struggled to find a parking space.& then a massive queue for check in so decided to get a drink £15 for a glass of Rose & a pint of lager= rip off big style.
The room was fine no issues there apart from some idiots shouting at 6.45am without any consideration for others.A £1 donation was automatically deducted for the Hilton chosen charity.
Paid £95 B& b & feel we did overall get value for money as we had no taxi costs to the L.G.arena
Regards
Steve

Room Tip: ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Steve

Thank you for your review and I'm pleased you found your stay with us to be great value for money.

We are ideally located for easy access to the both the LG Arena and NEC.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Bedroom window would not shut, the noise from outside was terrible could not sleep most of the night. Told the reception staff, they looked at me as if to say so what!! I usually like the hilton hotel chain, but I would never stay here again! Premier inn have a good night policy, Hilton needs to do better

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Bill

Thank youf or yur comments following your stay with us.

I was sorry to learn that your window would not close and surprised that our Receptionist did not offer a room change or our Maintenance team to rectify the issue. This point will be followed up with the team, but please accept my apologies again for any disappointment.

I do hope you will reconsider visiting us again in the near future to alow us to demonstrate our usual high levels of service.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just returned from a weekend stay at thr Hilton Birmingam Metropole which we were very disappointed with. Firstly I booked a queen deluxe room. We went to the room and couldn't find anything deluxe about it. I had stayed at better and always larger travel inn cheap hotels and what I paid for this is I did expect a lot better. I paid another £200 and upgraded to a king suite, which was lovely but very tired. The lounge had one sofa with two arm chairs, and a large dining table. The room could have easily taken two sofas. The television was on top of the fire place which gave youa stiff neck after watching for an hour, the TV in the bedroom was on a low table and could only be watched by the person nearest to it and the reception on all channels except ITV was terrible. We did report this and they sent someone to the room but it was no better. Paying the money we did I would have expected a TV that we could watch!! As I have pointed out the room was grand but tired, the bathroom had a lovely big bath but a tiny single shower shoved behind the door. The shower was not adjustable and as my husband is 6 ft he had to duck to get under the shower. When turning the shower on because it was fixed the floor got soaked which was dangerous when getting out of the shower as it was quite a drop from the shower tray. The bathroom was very 1970's and could do with modernisation. It had a bide.....I don't know who uses one of these and could do with taking this out and replacing it by a modern decent shower that I would expect in a Hilton.

Once we had our room sorted we went down for a light lunch. I ordered a bicardi and coke. I was charged £8.50 for this yet no bicardi was used it was a cheap white rum and I wasn't even advised that they had run out of barcardi and this is what would be served. It was a good job that this was a weekend break away and we weren't working as I would have followed this through further and will be suggesting a visit by trading standards. I ordered, which was described as HOT beef strips on a bed of salad. When the meal arrived, there was nothing hot about it. It was, best just off cold. I sent it back and then about 10 minutes later it came back Luke warm, it was disgusting. I must admit that the manager, after waiting about 10 minutes for him to come and see me, refunded the bill.

The breakfast was very good, even though the hotel was very busy they turned the tables around quickly and a great choice of food and good quality. As part of the upgrade we had use of the VIP lounge which was good. They laid on sandwiches late afternoon and canapés of an evening with free drinks and again thy were cheap unrecognised brands that you would expect to see abroad on an all inclusive cheap holiday not at a Hilton.

The hotel is very base for the NEC but have stayed in better and cheaper establishments.

Dear Boonorfolk

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent visit to the hotel.

I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed the benefits of our Executive Lounge and found the choice and quality of the breakfast met your expectations.

I am sorry that certain other elements failed to meet your expectations and rest assured these points will be discussed with the relevant management to bring about improvements in these areas.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope you will visit us again in the near future.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My partner and I really enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Metropole. The building is beautiful on the inside and a fantastic location for the NEC (3 minute walk away). The room was clean and had everything we needed. The food and executive lounge access was also fantastic! With the breakfast, drinks and nibbles included it was superb value for money! We have already recommended this hotel to family and will definitely stay here again next time we are in Birmingham!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and recommendation to others.

I was delighted to see that you had such a great stay - we hope to see you again soon.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
#26 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!