“Disappointment ”

Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Derby
“Disappointment ”
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Me & my partner were flying out so chose to take advantage of the bargain of the one night stay & parking.

The reception area is very glamorous but that's where it ends. Holes in the bedding, water stained ceiling & enamel missing off the bath. Not what you would expect from a Hilton!

Also no free wifi in the rooms and in this day & age you would expect.

The other grumble was that we had. Free transfer but no one told us that we needed to book it. I must say the concierge was very helpful as there was another couple who hadn't booked and he arranged a taxi for us at no cost. Also we weren't advised that we would have to pay for the return journey from the airport to the hotel.

All in all don't pay a lot to stay in this hotel as I've had better experiences in budget hotel chains.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (965)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
basingstoke
Reviewed 14 December 2013

wonderful hotel with glorious xmas decor and display in foyer. great food and peaceful room although bed could be warmer. Lovely pool and gym and welcoming staff; my daughter and I had a happy stay at the Hilton. One complaint; it was a long walk from the clothes show at the NEC, and not as handy and well sign posted as Id been led to believe.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I have taken a while to write this review as I wanted to be fair !. Booked a room for one night in July prior to departure on holiday. On arrival we had to wait 10 minutes in the queue at reception - not a problem but surprising. We were then handed a badly addressed & poorly written letter saying that due to an error on the hotels part there had been overbooking & we were to be moved to another hotel. As I had booked the room 11 months before I found this slightly ridiculous as they could have informed me at the time & refunded the money I had paid !! We were offered transport to the other hotel - 30 minute wait & no offer of refreshment. Whilst waiting I took the opportunity to look around & read the events board discovering the many corporate events that were on & the number of people checking in for these. It seemed fairly obvious that I was moved on in favour of a more lucrative contract despite my booking & payment being much earlier. A little honesty would have been preferable. I did write to Customer Services who replied with what can only be described as a 'so what' attitude. No real apology, no offer of compensation. At least I know they couldn't give a damn about my business & I shall make sure they do not get it again. Rant over.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kenmufc

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Great time well lookwd after couldnt fault it staff were friendly and couldnt do any more could do with more tea and coffee in the room but got some straight away when asked
Very close to location great check out at 12.00 so not rushing around in the morning

• Stayed December 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Someone opened the taxi door for me and said welcome to the hilton sir,check in was a breeze but my room was two and a half miles away (joking but it seemed like it). The area of the ground floor is huge but the concierge is more than happy to have your bags dropped off at your room, the room was small but had all I needed, the shower side wall formed part of the head board of my bed, as in the shower you can see your bed and in bed you can see into the shower. The shower cubicle has no shelf in it so you have to place your used soap and shampoo on the floor as you shower. The room has a good wi fi connection and is spotlessly clean. The restaurant is very far away (I stayed in room 430) and by the time you get back to your room you're hungry all over again. The spa is a must if you want pampered and the pool is superb albeit you feel as if you are on display to all who pass by. The service in all departments is first class although some of the bar staff have difficulty understanding english. I must say my visit was without fault and all the above are merely observations, upon departure someone opened the taxi door for me and bid me goodby.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We have an office in Birmingham Business Park and when I go up there for work that requires a stay for a night or two, then this is the hotel I stay in.

First of all, it is conveniently located and well connected. Secondly, our company has negotiated some really good rates for us.

The room I get is a single executive room, which may seem small to some people, but I find very comfortable and value for money. Free WiFi, which is usually very speedy, free parking (included in our negotiated rates), free morning newspaper and the inclusive breakfast, all make for a enjoyable day.

At the end of a long day's work, I just need to come back to the hotel room and crash after a hot shower. I am happy to say that the beds are very comfortable and I get a goon night's sleep. I don't get up in the morning with an aching back, as I have sometimes experienced in other establishments.

Room service is really good and quite fast and the food is great! I especially liked the lasagna and fish and chips!

The morning breakfast buffet is plentiful with lots of choices of hot and cold food, please someone is always there to freshly prepare omelettes and or eggs as per your choice.

In all, an extremely good business hotel and value for money at the rates we have negotiated with them.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I try to stay at the NEC Hilton Birmingham Metropole every couple of months as it's an all round experience I can look forward to, to escape London.

The staff in every department are extremely warm, friendly and helpful.

The gym is well equipped and has one of the most stunning hotel pools I've seen accompanied by a revitalising steam room and sauna. The treatments are very relaxing yet professional in the spa. I always look forward to my morning run around the lake and through the wilderness before the delicious buffet breakfast.

I stay here to focus on a project that I can work on in the comfy hotel bar over lunch before taking the short train journey back to London.

Highly recommended; especially waking up in your super comfy room to a lake view after watching an on-demand film.

Room Tip: lake view, high floor for sunrise!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#23 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!