“Not As good as last time”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Telford, United Kingdom
“Not As good as last time”
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed a number of time at this hotel, and wrote excellent reviews.

This time due to the staff I felt very disappointed and question if I will stay again.

On booking in we went to the desk where a man was waiting he did not look up at us and said he would be with us in a second. After a few minutes he was ready no apology for keeping us waiting.

Booking us in there was no smile at all. As we always book a executive room normally we get told about the executive bar. I had to ask about this! He did not ask us about a evening meal again I had to ask about booking a table. No offer of paper or wake up call.
We really felt like it was a problem for him to book us in.

As normal we have to provide our reg for the car, which I forgot I was told to tell the driver of the free bus to the airport in the morning. When telling the driver he was very rude and shook his head at me and said don't tell me I drive the bus tell some one inside. I explained I was told to tell him he did not want to know.

We did have a problem with the tv in our room phoned down and with in seconds Barry the very helpful and happy maintenance man came and sorted the problem. Must say he was excellent.
As normal the room was very clean, just no biscuits and robs in room maybe cut backs.

The executive bar was as normal excellent and the two staff in there was happy and very helpful checking that we was ok and had all that we needed

It is a sham about two members of staff let this hotel down as they do get it right in so many areas

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Zoe

Thank you for providing your feedback in relation to your recent stay.

As a previious visitor to the hotel I am sure you will be aware the service you experienced from a couple of team members on this occasion is certainly not the norm. I can assure you your comments will be shared with our Front Office Manager, with a view to re-training being undertaken in this area. In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies for this lapse in service.

I was pleased to see however that our other team members delivered our usual high standards.

I do hope you will return and visit us again soon.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Largo
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We were lucky to secure the Curzon Penthouse at an upgrade package which meant we were on standby until we arrived and then paid £120 per night to upgrade to the suite. We were attending a dog show at NEC and wanted the extra space to enable our friends who were also staying at the hotel to have a gathering space for Christmas get together. Our first impression was of a great space but on closer inspection found the room to be VERY dated and shabby and I am SO glad we did not pay the full price !! The ensuite Bathroom in particular is very scruffy. There must have been a leak in the plumbing above the lavatory as tiles had been broken to give access and the repair looked as if it had been done by a child with chewing gum. I called for housekeeping to clean the floor around the loo as the "spotting and splashes (?) " were gross but the chap informed me that it was clean and it was just the way the floor was. It annoyed me for our whole stay how stained the floor was and the grouting and silicone seals are gross. The bed was like concrete, very uncomfortable mattress which gave us both a sore back. The soft furnishings are scruffy and worn. I would have expected a much nicer coffee/tea tray. Two chunky mugs, sachets and "little milks" are not acceptable considering there is a fridge i would have expected fresh milk, and more than two MUGS. The TV package was extremely basic, no SKY, nor is there a DVD player , any books or magazines and quite frankly other than the space I cannot see that this suite is worth what we paid never mind the normal price. I have had a more comfortable and better appointed room in a Holiday Inn ! We ordered food to the room which I have to say was fab ! The menu was actually nicer and more comprehensive than Millers where we dined the first night. Very well priced but wine/drinks prices are exhorbitant throughout the Hotel, REALLY nastily expensive £9.50 for a glass of wine !! The staff however are really good, disappointed that Christmas was not happening in any shape or form in Millers and would have thought also the penthouse suite would have had decorations. I do appreciate that not everyone "does" Christmas but if that was the case then they could have the option to have it removed. I am back to the hotel in March, rooms booked but not upgrading at that time. Would we do the upgrade again ?....not sure........NOT value for money except for the space and would have been devastated if i had paid the full price. We will see. In the condition the rooms are in at this stage would NOT recommend to our many friends who attend Crufts.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lergyheggies
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I was sorry to learn you were disappointed with your suite. The hotel does have a variety of different decor styles and I regret you were not impressed wit the more traditional style of this particular suite. We do have a more contemporary designed suite which I'm sure you would find more suitable to your needs perhaps on a future visit. There is of course no excuse for the poor maintenance in this room and these issues will be attended to by our Maintenance team. Please accept my apologies for this poor impression.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Great hotel we stayed on the 2nd december 2013 we upgraded to a suite for an extra £50.00. and it was lovely. The only thing that upset my stay was I paid everything in advance on day of arrival and the receptionist did not put the upgrade payment on the correct account, caused quite an argument when you are checking out in the morning at 6am to catch a flight and almost missed it. still it was a lovely stay and highly recommend this hotel. You can also get to leave your car for up to 15 days while you go on holiday and it is all included in the price.

Room Tip: suite 5063
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Peter

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the upgrade to be excellent value for money. I regret the confusion you experienced at check out and hope this did not etract too much from your overall enjoyment.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed in this hotel many times and enjoy staying there. Their executive rooms are very good. Very good access to the NEC or Airport. Have stayed in many hotels in the area and mostly choose to stay in this one.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Ian

Thank you for taking the time to provide yuor feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

I'm delighted to see you are one of our regular guests and always enjoyr your stays with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Topsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed here on this ocassion for a corporate event. This is a lovely hotel with friendly staff and great food. However I am glad my company was paying for it as the drinks are VERY EXPENSIVE.

The check in didn't take long, despite the fact that there were 700 people cheking in and out on that morning. It was Christmas Party season so the hotel was very busy but my room was still spotless. It has everything you would need, although it could have done with a better quality hairdryer as it was a tiny travel one with very limited power. The room was not luxurious but very clean.

We had a meeting on our first day and had the buffet lunch which was tasty, plenty of selection, and lots of waiting staff to clear empty plates.

The breakfast the next morning was great. One of the best breakfasts I have had, (and I travel a lot for work.) The cooked selection was fresh, well cooked and not greasy.

Lovely hotel, well placed for Birmingham NEC, just a bit on the expensive side.

Room Tip: It is a large hotel so if you don't want to walk too far, ask for a room near to the lifts.
Dear Carolyn

I'm so pleased you had such a great stay with us and found everything to your liking. I was glad to see you had enjoyed your dining experiences in the hotel too.

We hope you see you return again soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

rooms comfortable and well appointed with all you would expect. the conference facilities were excellent- rooms ideal for needs in terms of size and layout. Food was quick to get at breaks and choice and quality very good

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Andrew

Glad to see you had a pleasant visit to the hotel and found everything met yuor expectations,. We hope you return again in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole hotel for one night as I was attending a conference at the NEC in December 2013.

Firstly, the hotel is very convenient for anyone attending an event at the NEC. I flew into Birmingham airport and jumped on the free train connection to the Birmingham train station. It was then a 10-15 minute walk to the hotel through the NEC following signs to hotels and then specifically for the Hilton.

The hotel room was booked through my employer. I was booked into a single room. Given the room rate I felt the room was very small. The rate did not even include Wi-Fi which was extra. The room was clean and had the room facilities you would expect (safe, tea/coffee making, iron etc.). The bed was slightly lumpy and not the most comfortable hotel bed I have experienced.

I've read other reviews which mention queues at reception. There were no queues when I checked in or out. Reception service was prompt and efficient. There was also a busy corporate event taking place in the hotel.

The room rate did include breakfast and the breakfast was good. The usual buffet breakfast options and again service was attentive.

Overall the Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel is a good hotel however I was disappointed with the size of the single room (given the cost) and that Wi-Fi was not included.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback and I was pleased to see that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us.

As I'm sure you will be aware we have a number of different size and style of rooms available and perhaos I could recommend one of our larger type rooms on a future visit - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!