“Smelly” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Essex
“Smelly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Booked a twin room for one night by mistake ( needed a double) and offered an upgrade for the Hanbury suite (double)for an additional £75 - included breakfast and drinks between 6.30-8.00pm in the executive lounge. Just glad to have a double, however it had a strange smell but looked clean and the decor was extremely dated. The executive lounge was so busy with no seating available and the canapés were not at all appetising. We stayed in the Hilton Prague a few years ago on the executive floor and it contemporary, spacious and welcoming and so we were very disappointed with the accomodation at the Metropole and feel that they take advantage of their location at the NEC to charge excessive prices and provide sub standard accomodation. Obviously most people staying here are on business trips, which may also contribute to keeping the prices up in this hotel :-( The staff are the only plus point in this hotel - they are first class and deserve praise! I may have to stay here again due to the location but it's completely not worth the money !!!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

Whilst I was pleased to see that you found our team to be first class and were impressed with the levels of service, I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with your room. We do have different styles of decor throughout our rooms and do indeed have contemporary styled rooms too. I regret this style was unavailable during your stay. Your comments regarding the odour in the room have been passed to our Executive Housekeeper for her investigation.

I can confirm that our prices are in line with other 4 star establishments throughout the country and we ensure these are regularly monitored to enable us to remain competitive.

Perhaps you could advise Caroline Hagan at caroline.hagan@hilton.com when you plan to return again and we will ensure a contemporary styled room is arranged for you.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Good location for NEC, clean room with very comfortable bed. Coffee making facilities with nice biscuits. Check in was a bit slow but then again there were 3 people working behind the counter, just many people came in at the same time.
Had buffet dinner for 25 pounds.
The spa was nice and free for guests. It's not only for guests, so can get busy at certain times. I went there in the morning and they hadn't put the steam room on yet and the sauna was just heating up. The pool is quite large and you can really swim in it, it has a jacuzzi too.
In the morning the lifts got very busy and had to wait for 5 minutes to get back up. It was very expensive to stay here for what you get, so doubt I will stay here again. It could at least include breakfast for the price of 195 pounds for a single room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Dear Pixie

Thank you for your coments following your recent visit to the hotel.

I'm delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I apologise for the slight delay you experienced at check-in.

I was glad to see that you had the time to enjoy our leisure club facilities, which is a big hit with most of our guests.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to te hotel at some point in the future and do keep your eyes open for our special offers which are great value for money,.

North Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed here 2 years ago in an executive room and decided as we were so impressed we would stay once again whilst visiting the NEC.
We noticed some subtle changes. Firstly in the executive room there wasn't the complimentary water and the number of tea bags was sadly lacking.
For those previous guests who are aware of the Executive Lounge there is complimentary alcoholic drinks and canapes between 6pm and 8pm. However we noticed the brands of alcohol were of a cheaper variety than before but the canapes and complimentary breakfast are most welcome. The staff in the lounge work extremely hard replenishing everything to keep up with the number of drinks consumed!
It would have been useful if the staff at the reception desk had told us that guests in executive rooms received free wifi. We found out only by chance on our last night.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are worth the extra especially if booked during the Hilton sale
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide your feedback in relation to your recent visit.

I am sorry you didn't receive your complimentary bottled water on this occasion, clearly this was an oversight on our part and I will bring this to the attention of the relevant management. We are always happy to provide extra tea/coffee upon request and I regret any disappointment this may have caused.

Complimentary drinks and snacks are provided in our Executive Lounge throughout the day and alcohol is served between 6.00 - 8.00 pm during the evening. I apologise if your particular brand of drink was not available on this occasion and this point has been noted.

You shoud of course have been advised that complimentary wifi is available in both the Lounge Bar and the Executive Lounge areas. I will ensure that our Front Office team advise all guests of this benefit.

I'm glad to see that you agree that our upgrade to our Executive rooms is well worth it.

We hope to see you return again soon.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed for 2 nights to attend a seminar. Staff I spoke to were fine. On check-in and check-out both were trainees and did a good job. Food OK but expensive - captive audience. Wine expensive and of average quality. - captive audience. Room was OK, I suppose, except the heating didn't seem to work and the shower was rubbish. It was clean. The TV was only average with a fuzzy picture; my guess is that it's an old low level analogue signal piped around the large building. The lunch for the seminar was OK. And I liked the biscuits :) I did make use of the gym which was OK. Rather than use the lifts, I did look for the stairs and didn't see any. Good thing there wasn't a fire! So just a corporate box in a hotel with no soul.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Adam

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

Whilst I was pleased to see that you were happy with the service you received from our Reception team, I was sorry to see that you had experienced an issue with your TV and heating. I can advise that our Maintenance team would always be happy to attend to any issue reported, but do apologise for any inconvenience you were caused as a result.

With regards to our prices, I can confirm that we do regularly monitor all of our prices to ensure we remain competitive with other 4 star establishments throughout the country.

Kinds regards

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night prior to flying out of Birmingham airport for a weeks holiday, I had parking included for the week. Firstly the location is good close to the airport which is a plus particularly with parking included. However this hotel should definetly not be rated 4 star. On check in there was only one person on reception and a queue, no one seemed interested in doing anything to reduce this. On being checked in nothing was explained of the parking or how to get to the airport, I was just told 'go and see concierge'. Having checked in I then went to concierge to find 3 members of staff standing talking who seemed very uninterested and again did not offer up much information on how the parking worked. Not 4 star service.
On finally reaching my room I found the state of cleanliness to be extremely poor, my partner even took a photo of his name written in the dust on the headboard. The bathroom was mouldy and everywhere looked like it needed a good scrub. This aside, I was at least hoping for a good sleep ready for an early morning flight.
However, the hotel was hosting some sort of Elvis convention on the Sunday night and I can honestly say I have never slept so badly. The guests were partying right up until the moment we boarded the shuttle to the airport at 530 in the morning. People were running up and down the corridors screaming and shouting and there was fighting in the car park beneath our room. I was appalled that a Hilton hotel would allow guests to behave in this way and the concierge in the morning just acted like it was the norm. We both managed to get only snatched moments of sleep. I am a member of Hilton honors and recently stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in New York which was simply breathtaking but after this experience I would definetly think twice before ever booking with Hilton again. Take my advice and book the Crowne Plaza, far better. Go to the hilton birmingham if you like bad service, poor cleanliness and being kept awake all night.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TomT143
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Tom

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Your experience certainly does not reflect the usual high standards that prevail at this hotel and I apologise that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. Please rest assured your feedback will be discussed with the management team for their review and action.

I was sorry to learn that you had been disturbed by some of the attendees who were attending the Elvis Convention that was being held at the hotel at the time of your visit. Whilst I am sure you will appreciate we do not have control over the behaviour of our guests, however, our Security team will always respond to any report of a disturbance.

I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we may have the opportunity to demonstrate our normal high levels of service on a future visit.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Nothing special. Room a bit tattyand air conditioning rattled and noisy. Typical corporate experience. Bar prices very steep, but captive audience, so no surprise. Impersonal. Consierge grudgingly agreed to giving a wake up call, but other staff helpful and friendl.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Tim

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with your room and the air conditioning you found to be noisy. I can advise that our Maintenance team are always on hand to rectify any issues if reported.

I was surprised you foun our Concierge less than friendly and approachable, however your comments are noted and will be shared with relevant management.

Your experience is certainly not typical of the high standards that normally prevail at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole and I apologise we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

I do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Rayleigh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

My stay for the AutoSports 2014 Exbo was sadly let down by the bar. The service left a lot to be desired with a routine wait for 15 minutes to be served. Also the bar lounge requires improvement to the air handling system as their was a nasty odour of fried fish (not very pleasant!!).

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I apologise that you experienced a delay in service in our Lounge Bar. This is certainly not typical of our usual high standards. I am aware that the bar ws particularly busy at this time, but nevertheless this should not have resulted in a lengthy delay. Your comments will be shared with our Food & Beverage Operations Manager.

We hope to see you again at next year's show.

|Max R Flude
Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#20 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,228 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!