“Overpriced dated and unkept”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Essex, United Kingdom
“Overpriced dated and unkept”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed for one night on 2nd February 2014. Would never stay again twin room very small room with small beds. No security bolt on our door broken door handle in bathroom broken bath stained. Shower no pressure either very hot or very cold heating on all night even with tempreture set to 15 . Decor extremely dated. Lights kept falling out of monstrosity board above bed could not stretch . Kettle had not been cleaned beds on wheels so you move all night car park so small you haveto climb over seats to get out. Breakfast cold and either over cooked as flash fried or raw. Over inflated drink prices as you can not get anything else where. Fire alarms go off at 8.30 am so you cannot have a rest from a very noisy car park and people constainly banging doors. Put complaint card in no one has contacted us. Tried to find address to complain to no avail. Want a refund as not worth 229.00 pound this did include breakfast but unable to cancel as not refundable. I have stayed at many hotels round the world and this is not four star. Minus four star. I want a refund.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank thursto
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Thursto

Thank you for your review following your stay at the hotel.

I regret that you were disappointed with your visit. Please accept my sincere apologies for any shortcomings and your comments will be discussed with the management team.

I can confirm that our Maintenance team would happily attend to any issues brought to our immediate attention.

It is a legal requirement that our fire alarms are tested on a weekly basis. For many years now the fire alarm test has taken place on the same day at the same time, namely between 8.30 a.m. and 9.00 a.m. every Monday. This day and time was identified as generally being the quietest day in terms of business in the hotel and least likely to cause a disturbance to our guests. Notices advising guests that a fire alarm test will take place the following morning are displayed in the main Reception area and all of the lift lobby areas on Sunday evening. I can only apologise if these were not apparent to you during your stay.

Although the hotel has over 700 parking spaces, when the hotel is busy, the car park can fill quite quickly but I regret any inconvenience caused.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (961)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The food here is good, very good. Excellent quality and a goo dchoice
BUT as I reported 12 months ago the coffee is to die FROM
Not only is the standard poor in the extreme, it is also tepid.
Don't touch it

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review.

It's great to hear that you always enjoy your dining experiences whilst at the hotel, although I was a little disappointed to read that you were not so impressed with the coffee. Your comments have been noted and i am sorry for any disappointment.

Thank you again for yuor feedback.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Rooms are tired, old and ours had a smell like a dog had died in it. The service was what you expect at a £20 per night b&b. It took me 20 mins to shower due to lack of water pressure. Ordered some milk and sugar to make tea which took 40 mins. Some idiot who thinks he's an interior designer design done strange wooden shelf 20 inches from the pillow so kept banging you head on it. We booked 2 rooms and both had ashtray and stunk of smoke and damp.... At £120 per night it's a disgrace...

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Ali197299
Dear Reviewer

I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with your recent visit to the hotel.

I can confirm that we would certainly have offered a room change had these issues been brought to our immediate attention. However I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Grantham
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I attended as part of a conference and therefore didn't get to choose a meal as it was provided however I was served a bowl of vegetable risotto with some sort of cheese on top which looked a bit like parmesan (which is not veggie) and the waitress was quite rude in saying 'if its vegetarian it will be vegetarian cheese' this, from the same person who asked me when I said I was vegetarian 'do you eat fish?' Err no - I'm VEGEtarian (clue's in the name there folks!). Imagine every time you go for a meal ordering steak and then being asked 'Don't you want the chicken?' - you would probably find it really annoying too. It makes me distrust what they re serving as being veggie - if they don't know that fish isn't vegetarian they probably don't know that all cheese isn't veggie too. If I ate fish I would not have said I was vegetarian as I'd be a pesectarian- fish are an animal not a plant. She took it away and brought a 'fresh one' (same one with no cheese on a clean plate I'm guessing). The risotto was OK but there was a severe lack of vegetables in it. So really a bowl of rice - I doubt there was even a dozen peas in it and the scraps of carrot would not have made a whole one. My meat eating friends had more vegetables on their plate than I had in my risotto. Also, the portion was pitiful - I'm vegetarian, not anorexic. My colleagues were even offering me some of their vegetables because they felt sorry for me. Very disappointing. I also had the room next to the lift so despite my attempts at an early-ish night, I was kept awake until the small hours by people coming up from the bar and then woken up by people leaving early. A shame really because the actual venue was very pleasant and the staff (except for the waitress) were lovely.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs and ask to be away from the lifts
3 Thank Atamjeet K
Dear Atamjeet

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to the hotel.

As explained in my personal response to you by letter yesterday. I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the vegetarian main course that had been served to you. Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with our Executive Chef for his review.

Our staff are fully aware of the difference between vegetarian and pescetarian and are trained to ask if a guest taking a vegetarian meal would like fish, as in our experience many guests attending a banquet say they are vegetarian, when in reality they just don't fancy the main course the organisers of the event have selected for them.

I was surprised your waitress was unable to confirm the integrity of the cheese used on your dish, however I can advise that vegetarian cheese is indeed used when preparing vegetarian meals. This matter will be taken up with our Food & Beverage Manager to ensure the team is able to confirm such details in future

Staffordshire
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Spent a day & overnight for a company Day & party at night. Conference food was pretty dreadful, cold breakfast, like warm tea, bland uninspired baguettes & soggy chips. Redeemed them selves on the evening meal however which was really rather nice. Disco For the evening was a man a table & a deck, more school disco than adult night out. Rooms were clean & functional & breakfast fine for mass produced

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Pinacoladalady

Thank you for your comments following your visit to the hotel.

I was surprised to read your comments regarding the conference and breakfast food you had. Your comments will of course be discussed with our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager. I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed your evening meal.

Your feedback regarding the disco will be passed to your event organiser for their review.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed here prior to a conference at the hotel and was so glad I did. The whole experience was very well done, on site parking was easy and the reception coped very well with numerous numbers of people booking in and out, booking me in without issue. The room was very nice with quality furnishings throughout and very clean, the bed was particularly comfortable and the complimentary shampoo, conditioner etc. was also very good quality. Part of my deal included breakfast which again was very good with a great choice of hot & cold fare. This hotel is really convenient for the NEC - walking distance around the lake which would make a show or concert a far more pleasant experience - I will be back!

Dear Markyb

Thank you for taking the trouble to write your review.

I'm delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future - hopefully it will be for a leisure stay next time.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

A 800 room hotel and large varied conference facilities and a large Car Park, that looked full most of the time. Tired rooms and the upgrade from a single to a Queen size Bed/room was like moving up to a Travel Lodge. However, the Leisure facilities are good as were the conferencing side which they have off to a tee and clearly a sweet spot. Eye watering Bar prices but (as they know) there is nowhere else to go.

Dear Robert

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I'm sorry you felt your room was not as you would have expected. I can advise that we are constantly refurbishing the hotel and we do have a variety of different decor styles throughout our rooms.

It's pleasing to see that you were impressed with both the conference facilities and leisure club. We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Birmingham Metropole in the near future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 118 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,301 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!