“Good location for NEC”

Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
“Good location for NEC”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

On arrival, at the entrance of the car park we were told that there are no more spaces. We entered anyway, as this was the main reason we booked there, to park close to the NEC. We did manage to find a space, and it was indeed only a 6-7 min walk from the NEC.
The other reason was the pool; we wanted to have a relaxing swim. The pool was OK, it helped that it was late Saturday evening and there were very few people using it.
The (twin) room of decent size, with a rather uninspiring view of the car park. Shower facilities were OK. However, there was a sensor of some sort in the room which was clicking constantly, so I had to use earplugs in order to sleep!
We had dinner at the buffet, and although the food was good, there is little to be said about the service. We had almost finished the first course when our wine finally arrived. Breakfast was more organised all together, good variety and quality, too.
We used points to complement payment, so overall this was good value for us, and we had a pleasant stay. I would easily stay again, but if I had to pay full price, I would also try the Crown Plaza which is around the corner.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to write your review.

I am glad that overall you were pleased with your visit and had an enjoyable stay. Your comments regarding dinner service in the restaurant will be shared with our Restaurant Manager for review with his team and would apologise for any delay you experienced.. However, I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed your breakfast experience.

We do appreciate your loyallty to Hilton and do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Yours sincerely

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We booked a room for one night during a business congress we attended at the NEC on March 2014.
When we arrived at the hotel, we felt confident with the reception standing.

Things get worst when we saw the room (1104) :

- Very dirty bath with a water stains and mold (brown) in it. ( very disgusting and not acceptable for any hotels)

- We asked for a single bed, we got two separate beds.But that's not the worst.

- Our room was just near the room service staff. and they were very, very noisy.
I didn't sleep a minute in this room, and the night was very long : noises came from everywhere in this Hilton hotel : clients where noisy but like they were sharing my room ! It's a real shame for a place where you want to sleep after a tiring day of work.
By the way, I think it's not possible to have a thinner door like the one of these rooms.

Positives point however :
- The lounge bar cuisine was fine, fish and chips : Not very elaborated but good.
- The car lift from the airport, free with very kind and polite driver.

To end up with this review, a very negtive impression at the end of the stay :
THE BREAKFAST :
As our plane was scheduled at 8.45, we asked to get our paid breakfast for take away as it's a common thing we do with luxury hotels when we are on a hurry.
a bag with a yogourt, an apple, a banana, and two white bread slices with disgusting cheese.
For 19 euros, we'd rather eat at the airport ( what we did when we were waiting our plane).

I'm not someone who complaints easily. But for this time it was a real rip-off and the expected standard of confort was not meet at all.

Definitely won't come back there.

Room Tip: Tip : avoid this hotel if you want to rest or just sleep. much better accommodations in the place.
2 Thank mikehakoun
Der Mike

I was sorry to see that your visit did not live up to expectations on this occasion. I can assure you that your feedback will be shared with the Executive Chef and Executive Housekeeper regarding the issues you have highlighted and I apologise for any disappointment experienced.

I was also sorry to see that you had been disturbed by the Room Service team. This issue will be followed up with the team and again I regret any inconvenience caused.

Thank you again for your comments.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We booked into the Hotel for one night's accommodation and parking for two weeks while we went on a Caribbean cruise. This worked perfectly well also enabling us to visit a local friend on the afternoon before our early morning flight. The transfer to the airport was easy with help from the staff. Our return flight, however, was delayed by several hours and was eventually diverted to the East Midlands Airport leaving us seven hours overdue from an overnight flight. We were concerned that the delay might render the parking overdue and impair our ability to drive safely home
The Hotel taxi driver reassured us on both counts and on our arrival at the Hotel immediately spoke to the Guest Relations Manager who was also kindness itself. We were supplied with strong coffee and chocolate brownies to relax us and energize us for the drive home. These worked brilliantly and we were soon driving safely home. We have rarely experienced such kindness and care at a hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Pat

Thank you for taking the trouble to write your review, following your stay with us recently.

I'm glad we were able to turn what had become an already stressful journey for you into a more relaxed break before continuing your journey home.

Thank you for taking the time to write and glad to see yiou arrived home safely.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

As a frequent traveller, I know what to expect in Hilton, Crowne Plaza and Novotel hotels. I would strongly advise anyone to find an alternative hotel if staying at the NEC. If you have no interaction with the staff you might be ok but please check your credit card. Last time I stayed they added a room night to my bill and provided me with no notification of this. It's only because it was on my company credit card and my company queried why I have an outstanding value unclaimed, that I discovered it. Hilton did refund it but it wasn't easy, took several phone calls and they made me feel like I was lying and didn't believe me at first. After a three year absence I gave it another try. This time the staff were so rude, one point when I ordered room service I had enough and said I wasn't happy and asked to speak to the manager. They then put me on hold for 10 minutes. When I eventually hung up and phoned back, they had cut my room phone off so I couldn't speak to the manager. What sort of service is that, I will be taking this up with Hilton directly. My advise is go to a hotel that appreciates you, there's plenty of choice at the NEC. I certainly won't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Hotelier8765
Dear Reviewer

I was very concerned to read your comments regarding the levels of service you received whilst at the hotel. These are not the levels of service we are renowned for and would therefore be happy to investigate the points you have highlighted.

Perhaps you would contact us directly at caroline.hagan@hilton.com and we will be happy to discuss further.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here on business in March and was flabergasted by the price of everything and what was not included in our ridiculous nightly rate.

I was given a room with 2 single beds which they wouldnt swap, i had to pay an extra £17.90 for breakfast as it wasnt incuded in the £250 a night rate, and the wifi although free in the bar was an extra 14.99 per day if you wanted to use it up in the room.

What is an impressive hotel on first driving up, is outdated and over priced and ok for the NEC but thats it! I had a better time at the Premier Inn along the road on my last visit, and the bill didnt make my toes curl!

2 Thank victoria g
Dear Victoria

Your comments have been taken on board and shared with the management team. However I was sorry to learn of your disappointment.

As a business traveller you will be aware that a hotel such as ours has many different room tariffs available to suit most guests and budgets; from a room only basis, to bed and breakfast inclusive, and dinner, bed and breakfast inclusive. Perhaps I could recommend a breakfast inclusive tariff may be more suitable for your requirements on future visits.

Thank you again for your feedback and i do hope you reconsider re-visiting us in the near future.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you are thinking of taking a few days to visit a spa and relax, this is NOT the hotel for you! Spa is a movable small table shoved under the stairs to the fitness level. Rooms once were closets, (I am guessing) as the table is a rotating movable one that makes you dizzy as the therapist needs to constantly move it, in the small cramped, dark closet, to get around to do the treatments. Downstairs room is very noisy as screaming children run by to the shower rooms and while in the pool during swimming lessons. Also, a vibrating machine is upstairs above this room so every time someone wants to shake their fat, you hear and feel the loud vibrations. (Thank Goodness I do not have to see it!). Have been told the rooms upstairs have walls so thin you can hear every conversation and grunt from your neighbours massage. After a body scrub, you have to walk naked in a towel to the common changing area. Showers are basic and not nice as one would hope for at a spa. My Therapist Melissa was awesome and the treatments wonderful but she has a terrible facility to work in! It was neither relaxing nor satisfying as a spa that I was willing to pay for and invest my time in. I would never come here again!
As for rooms, bath tub was full of hair, couch stained, room temp freezing and took 2 days to get regulated, Internet very slow and keep logging off. Food and wine at an evening event was terrible and the music blaring could be hear at all hours of the morning in every room. Check out was less than acceptable as staff did not listen to special requests and I am still waiting for my refund that was wrongly charged. This is NOT a place to relax. You have been warned!!

Room Tip: Do not book here, if you can avoid it. Away from elevators and away from the conference rooms as eve...

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

If you are thinking of taking a few days to visit a spa and relax, this is NOT the hotel for you! Spa is a movable small table shoved under the stairs to the fitness level. Rooms once were closets, (I am guessing) as the table is a rotating movable one that makes you dizzy as the therapist needs to constantly move it, in the small cramped, dark closet, to get around to do the treatments. Downstairs room is very noisy as screaming children run by to the shower rooms and while in the pool during swimming lessons. After a body scrub, you have to walk naked in a towel to the common changing area. Showers are basic and not nice as one would hope for at a spa. My Therapist Melissa was awesome and the treatments wonderful but she has a terrible facility to work in! It was neither relaxing nor satisfying as a spa that I was willing to pay for and invest my time in. I would never come here again by choice. As for rooms, bath tube full of hair, couch stained, room temp freezing and took 2 days to get regulated, Internet very slow and keep logging off. Food and wine at an evening event was terrible!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Tracey

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I was very sorry to see that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. Clearly the housekeeping standards fell below what we would both expect and I can assure you that this feedback has been shared with our Executive Housekeeper for her action with the team.

Although I was happy to see that you had enjoyed your spa treatments, I was of course disappointed you were disillusioned with the area you were treated in. Your comments have been noted and discussed with the relevant management for review.

Thank you again for your comments and I apologise for any disappointment experienced.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
#26 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!