“Car park charges are unbelievable!”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #72 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 March 2014

AVOID if you don't want to be ripped off for parking - unbelievable. It's at the NEC, you can hardly walk or take a cab from a far away destination.

DON'T hold your event here - lots of very fed up guests from the ceremony because of the crazy parking fee.

I only came here for an evening award ceremony and was told that the car park barriers would be up as I left. I am a female, travelling alone and do not live nearby so had driven a long way. When I came to leave after a few hours, security refused to raise the barrier and wanted me to go back and pay and that it was £10 (minimum!!!). I called the reception from the car, same argument and told me to 'find the person who advised me' - this in a hotel packed with people arriving for Crufts and for an awards ceremony..!!! I was told to go back to reception (evening do, remember, posh dress, high heels) where of course, no parking. Eventually made it to the desk where the concierge was very polite and asked me to go to reception, where finally the receptionist was very helpful indeed. The whole palaver added another hour onto my time there and all I wanted to do was cry and leave as it was very late by the time I was let out.

How can the hotel justify charging guests this rate, for an evening event? Don't hold your event here!!!!

1  Thank TravelPaw
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your review.

I am sorry you had received misleading information from your event organiser regarding parking arrangements.

The hotel does operate a parking charge policy and I regret you experienced a delay in departing as you had been misinformed.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (5,557)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Had a 2 night stay here in March 2014 whilst attending an event at the NEC. I have been here previously so knew what to expect.

My Hilton Gold status was acknowledged at check-in but I was told no room upgrade was available (I had already booked an executive room). Instead I was given a single drink voucher for the bar. That's right - one single voucher!! The person checking me in even apologised that she was not allowed to give me more than one voucher.

The hotel is huge and busy and feels a little dated in some areas. I had a "lake view" room on the 4th floor with access to the executive lounge on the 5th floor.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable but the complimentary bottled water was not replaced for the second night - rather mean. The bathroom was large and included a bath and standalone shower cubicle.

The lounge is on the small side and got very very busy - groups of people standing around as insufficient seating. Things were not helped by the fact that an Australian Immigration company had been allowed to take over two areas of seating for their marketing & meetings.

I felt the lounge afternoon tea and evening canapes offerings were poor when compared to other Hiltons I have stayed in.

I ate breakfast in the main restaurant as it was included in my rate and I was guaranteed a seat there! The usual Hilton breakfast buffet offering. Expensive if not already included in your room rate.

I used my drinks voucher in the bar and asked to order some food as well. I was told to take a seat and someone would come over for my order but nobody ever arrived. I gave up and ate outside of the hotel.

Overall an OK stay and I would return when next at the NEC.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

I am sorry we appear to have failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and regret that you were disappointed on this particular visit. Please be assured that this feedback will be discussed with the relevant management and actions taken where appropriate to improve service levels.

I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

On arrival, at the entrance of the car park we were told that there are no more spaces. We entered anyway, as this was the main reason we booked there, to park close to the NEC. We did manage to find a space, and it was indeed only a 6-7 min walk from the NEC.
The other reason was the pool; we wanted to have a relaxing swim. The pool was OK, it helped that it was late Saturday evening and there were very few people using it.
The (twin) room of decent size, with a rather uninspiring view of the car park. Shower facilities were OK. However, there was a sensor of some sort in the room which was clicking constantly, so I had to use earplugs in order to sleep!
We had dinner at the buffet, and although the food was good, there is little to be said about the service. We had almost finished the first course when our wine finally arrived. Breakfast was more organised all together, good variety and quality, too.
We used points to complement payment, so overall this was good value for us, and we had a pleasant stay. I would easily stay again, but if I had to pay full price, I would also try the Crown Plaza which is around the corner.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to write your review.

I am glad that overall you were pleased with your visit and had an enjoyable stay. Your comments regarding dinner service in the restaurant will be shared with our Restaurant Manager for review with his team and would apologise for any delay you experienced.. However, I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed your breakfast experience.

We do appreciate your loyallty to Hilton and do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We booked a room for one night during a business congress we attended at the NEC on March 2014.
When we arrived at the hotel, we felt confident with the reception standing.

Things get worst when we saw the room (1104) :

- Very dirty bath with a water stains and mold (brown) in it. ( very disgusting and not acceptable for any hotels)

- We asked for a single bed, we got two separate beds.But that's not the worst.

- Our room was just near the room service staff. and they were very, very noisy.
I didn't sleep a minute in this room, and the night was very long : noises came from everywhere in this Hilton hotel : clients where noisy but like they were sharing my room ! It's a real shame for a place where you want to sleep after a tiring day of work.
By the way, I think it's not possible to have a thinner door like the one of these rooms.

Positives point however :
- The lounge bar cuisine was fine, fish and chips : Not very elaborated but good.
- The car lift from the airport, free with very kind and polite driver.

To end up with this review, a very negtive impression at the end of the stay :
THE BREAKFAST :
As our plane was scheduled at 8.45, we asked to get our paid breakfast for take away as it's a common thing we do with luxury hotels when we are on a hurry.
a bag with a yogourt, an apple, a banana, and two white bread slices with disgusting cheese.
For 19 euros, we'd rather eat at the airport ( what we did when we were waiting our plane).

I'm not someone who complaints easily. But for this time it was a real rip-off and the expected standard of confort was not meet at all.

Definitely won't come back there.

Room Tip: Tip : avoid this hotel if you want to rest or just sleep. much better accommodations in the place.
2  Thank mikehakoun

Der Mike

I was sorry to see that your visit did not live up to expectations on this occasion. I can assure you that your feedback will be shared with the Executive Chef and Executive Housekeeper regarding the issues you have highlighted and I apologise for any disappointment experienced.

I was also sorry to see that you had been disturbed by the Room Service team. This issue will be followed up with the team and again I regret any inconvenience caused.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We booked into the Hotel for one night's accommodation and parking for two weeks while we went on a Caribbean cruise. This worked perfectly well also enabling us to visit a local friend on the afternoon before our early morning flight. The transfer to the airport was easy with help from the staff. Our return flight, however, was delayed by several hours and was eventually diverted to the East Midlands Airport leaving us seven hours overdue from an overnight flight. We were concerned that the delay might render the parking overdue and impair our ability to drive safely home
The Hotel taxi driver reassured us on both counts and on our arrival at the Hotel immediately spoke to the Guest Relations Manager who was also kindness itself. We were supplied with strong coffee and chocolate brownies to relax us and energize us for the drive home. These worked brilliantly and we were soon driving safely home. We have rarely experienced such kindness and care at a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Pat

Thank you for taking the trouble to write your review, following your stay with us recently.

I'm glad we were able to turn what had become an already stressful journey for you into a more relaxed break before continuing your journey home.

Thank you for taking the time to write and glad to see yiou arrived home safely.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

As a frequent traveller, I know what to expect in Hilton, Crowne Plaza and Novotel hotels. I would strongly advise anyone to find an alternative hotel if staying at the NEC. If you have no interaction with the staff you might be ok but please check your credit card. Last time I stayed they added a room night to my bill and provided me with no notification of this. It's only because it was on my company credit card and my company queried why I have an outstanding value unclaimed, that I discovered it. Hilton did refund it but it wasn't easy, took several phone calls and they made me feel like I was lying and didn't believe me at first. After a three year absence I gave it another try. This time the staff were so rude, one point when I ordered room service I had enough and said I wasn't happy and asked to speak to the manager. They then put me on hold for 10 minutes. When I eventually hung up and phoned back, they had cut my room phone off so I couldn't speak to the manager. What sort of service is that, I will be taking this up with Hilton directly. My advise is go to a hotel that appreciates you, there's plenty of choice at the NEC. I certainly won't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Hotelier8765

Dear Reviewer

I was very concerned to read your comments regarding the levels of service you received whilst at the hotel. These are not the levels of service we are renowned for and would therefore be happy to investigate the points you have highlighted.

Perhaps you would contact us directly at caroline.hagan@hilton.com and we will be happy to discuss further.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here on business in March and was flabergasted by the price of everything and what was not included in our ridiculous nightly rate.

I was given a room with 2 single beds which they wouldnt swap, i had to pay an extra £17.90 for breakfast as it wasnt incuded in the £250 a night rate, and the wifi although free in the bar was an extra 14.99 per day if you wanted to use it up in the room.

What is an impressive hotel on first driving up, is outdated and over priced and ok for the NEC but thats it! I had a better time at the Premier Inn along the road on my last visit, and the bill didnt make my toes curl!

2  Thank victoria g

Dear Victoria

Your comments have been taken on board and shared with the management team. However I was sorry to learn of your disappointment.

As a business traveller you will be aware that a hotel such as ours has many different room tariffs available to suit most guests and budgets; from a room only basis, to bed and breakfast inclusive, and dinner, bed and breakfast inclusive. Perhaps I could recommend a breakfast inclusive tariff may be more suitable for your requirements on future visits.

Thank you again for your feedback and i do hope you reconsider re-visiting us in the near future.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#35 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!