“Made a great weekend 'amazing'”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #72 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 10 March 2014

just returned after an overnight stay for the Crufts event at the NEC. the hotel was so busy with travellers and even lots of dogs that I thought the quality may have been effected. not in the slightest the staff and hotel was one of the best I've stayed in. the room overlooked the lake which was beautiful. food in the boulevard restaurant was to die for and the buffet breakfast could feed absolutely anyone because of such a wide range to suit any taste.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you had such an enjoyable visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My experience at the hotel was disappointing and ruined my trip. The room was expensive however it was small. There were electrical faults with live cables hanging dangerously. The balcony was littered with cigarette butts and behind the bedside table was used tissue paper. A poor show and a sad experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Matti P
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Matti

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and I was sorry to see that we failed to live up to our usual high standards on this occasion. Please accept my apologies for any shortcomings experienced during your stay and rest assured your feedback will be shared with our management team.

I hope that despite any disappointment on this occasion, we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel on a future visit.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I suppose if you're very convenient for the NEC one expects a hotel to be busy, but for me it was a little too much so. I booked in late afternoon and had quite a long wait to book in with plenty of people in the queue ahead of me. My receptionist was friendly once I got to the front of the line and apologised for the delay. My room was acceptable, but nothing special. I was a little surprised no trouser press was included in my room, especially with the locality and expectation that many will be booted and suited. I met colleagues in the bar diner area and again had to wait a while to get served. However, having ordered bar food this arrived very punctually. The menu was quite basic, but tasty nevertheless. I had no proper outside view from my room, with a tiny window looking to roof tiles nearby.
Overall, this was a clean, 'run of the mill' modern chain hotel and although there was nothing concerning me unduly about it, neither was there anything positively memorable that would encourage me to return there or recommend it. If you're attending the NEC it is convenient but otherwise personally I'd look for something else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a proper view, not a tiny window looking into nowhere!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I was pleased to see that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. As you say, we are ideally located for easy access to the NEC and LG Arena, which does indeed make the hotel a popular choice for many guests.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope you will return to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Booked a "deluxe non smoking queen room' six months ago but when we arrived last evening the room (4016) smelt so heavily of cigarettes that is made you gag. Even with signs everywhere stating it is illegal to smoke in the hotel, the room had an ash tray on the table. My husband who is a smoker agreed it smelt so bad, that we would request a room change. The only room they had was a twin room (5012) which was delightful in comparison ........until we awoke this morning to find big stains on the carpet, as if someone had vomited, a shower head that barely worked and a tide mark of dirt around the walls. I'm glad I didn't book a 'bog standard' room? The room was expensive at £209 for one night with breakfast included, however, they gave us a 20% discount....still very expensive. We waited an hour and forty minutes to get a bar meal at around 8 pm last evening, there wasn't enough staff or seating at all. The meal was good when we finally got a place to sit. The bar manager was argumentative when we asked why he gave the next table away and we got mixed messages from staff re seating criteria. Overnight the hotel was quiet and the bed itself was good. Breakfast was ok, plenty of hot fresh food and beverages. Check in and parking was ok. Costa changed £4.70 for a medio latte!
The hotel is close to the NEC but they definitely wouldn't get custom if left to their own merit. Only the bar man was vaguely helpful. This isn't an experience I intend to repeat, I would rather do a long drive than run the gauntlet again.

Room Tip: 5012 is better than 4016 but still not good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank neveradullmoment50

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us.

I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your visit and your comments will certainly be shared with the relevant departmental managers for their attention.

Please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and I can assure you your feedback will be acted upon to improve levels of service.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

The hotel was busy due to the Crufts dog show, which I was helping show two dogs. The hotel staff coped well with this high volume of people and dogs. All dogs behaved well. The room was to a high standard. I could only fault the shower leaked, just ends up wasting another clean towel (most hotels do around the world for some reason) and my second comment was that I needed a shoe shine machine or kit. No such service was available when I asked however the staff were very apologetic. Breakfast was great too! I will be back next year.

Room Tip: Solo rooms aren't small and pokey. But reasonably roomy
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sam

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comment6s via TripAdvisor.

Crufts week is an exceptionally busy time for us and I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel. I am sorry you had a problem with your shower - we would have attended to this issue if brought to our attention but regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

I was delighted to see you enjoyed your breakfast experience and we look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

i booked myself and my 3 staff into the the hilton for the 4 day KBB event at the NEC to at least try and treat them to a little luxury for there hard work up to this event. all four of us would like to thank the staff for their absolute professionalism in all they did for us.
the facilities are just what you need after a long day on your feet, pool, gym and of course the steam room..
see you again soon,

thanks from the team @socketbox.co.uk

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

I'm very pleased that you and your team had such a pleasant stay with us and that you found the facilities in the leisure centre just what was needed to relax and unwind.after a long hard day.

We look forward to giving you a very warm welcome when you return again.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Just back from a short stay at the hilton whilst visiting crufts so thought a review was in order!
On the plus side - the hotel was very clean, well situaed as you couldnt get any closer to the nec so ideal from that perspective. Staff were polite and friendly, food was good.

So the things thst made this an average rating:
- obviously the hotel was very very busy as you would expect at crufts time, but the poor staff werent setup to handle that level of demand they clearly needed more hands on deck and being a hilton carrying hilton prices they should have nailed that one its not like the dates and demand were a surprise!
- linked to the above, the restaurants/bar area werent set to deal with the demand, people left standing around lurking like vultures for a seat to be vacated then the mad dash to get there first, eventually more tables were setup, but too late why not plan ahead and have them in place knowing the volume was coming?
- car park too small vs volume of rooms/guests so overflow used thats not a huge distant but disappointing and tricky to walk back from in the dark with no visible signposts
- our understanding of "deluxe" is VERY different, the room was very basic, ive probably had more comfort and facilities in a holiday inn or premier in at much lower costs! Simple solution dont call it deluxe when its clearly not
- £9.30 for a single glass of wine? Soeaks for itself
- £10 for a fish finger sandwich and chips?!? Oh sorry on a quite night you get salad too but if its busy they skip the salad
- not a biggy but channel choice on the tv in the rooms is far better in cheaper hotels, easy enough to sort...give more channels

So the negatives list was longer I give you that, but its pretty much all small things that you wouldnt expect from a hilton when other (cheaper) hotels arent making those mistakes. Quick fixes are available.

Would I stay again? Purely for nec convenience probably....though they dont have a monopoly on prime locstion...crown plaza cold be a realistic alternative I know ill be taking a hard look at that before booking next year

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel whilst attending Crufts.

Your comments have been noted and I apologise for any delay or disappointment in obtaining a table in the Lounge. As you state, at this time of year the hotel is exceptionally busy and we do enedeavour to serve guests as quickly and efficiently as possible.

We hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again next year.

Director of Opertaions

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#27 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!