“Crufts Stay”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This was our 4th time to stay at this hotel. We came to go to Crufts - the location is excellent just a short walk to the NEC entrance. The staff were very friendly, the room was spotless, quiet and comfortable. We dined in The Boulevard for dinner and breakfast (a buffet), it was excellent with a huge choice on offer. We used the Leisure facilities, the pool was very warm, staff helpfull and the area clean. The hotel is convenient to the train station for a short trip to the city centre. We hope to return to Birminghm and if we do we will stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Martina W
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Martina

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay,

I was delighted to see that you had such an an enjoyable visit and everything was as you would expect.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 10 March 2014

just returned after an overnight stay for the Crufts event at the NEC. the hotel was so busy with travellers and even lots of dogs that I thought the quality may have been effected. not in the slightest the staff and hotel was one of the best I've stayed in. the room overlooked the lake which was beautiful. food in the boulevard restaurant was to die for and the buffet breakfast could feed absolutely anyone because of such a wide range to suit any taste.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you had such an enjoyable visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My experience at the hotel was disappointing and ruined my trip. The room was expensive however it was small. There were electrical faults with live cables hanging dangerously. The balcony was littered with cigarette butts and behind the bedside table was used tissue paper. A poor show and a sad experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Matti P

Dear Matti

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and I was sorry to see that we failed to live up to our usual high standards on this occasion. Please accept my apologies for any shortcomings experienced during your stay and rest assured your feedback will be shared with our management team.

I hope that despite any disappointment on this occasion, we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel on a future visit.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I suppose if you're very convenient for the NEC one expects a hotel to be busy, but for me it was a little too much so. I booked in late afternoon and had quite a long wait to book in with plenty of people in the queue ahead of me. My receptionist was friendly once I got to the front of the line and apologised for the delay. My room was acceptable, but nothing special. I was a little surprised no trouser press was included in my room, especially with the locality and expectation that many will be booted and suited. I met colleagues in the bar diner area and again had to wait a while to get served. However, having ordered bar food this arrived very punctually. The menu was quite basic, but tasty nevertheless. I had no proper outside view from my room, with a tiny window looking to roof tiles nearby.
Overall, this was a clean, 'run of the mill' modern chain hotel and although there was nothing concerning me unduly about it, neither was there anything positively memorable that would encourage me to return there or recommend it. If you're attending the NEC it is convenient but otherwise personally I'd look for something else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a proper view, not a tiny window looking into nowhere!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I was pleased to see that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. As you say, we are ideally located for easy access to the NEC and LG Arena, which does indeed make the hotel a popular choice for many guests.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope you will return to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Booked a "deluxe non smoking queen room' six months ago but when we arrived last evening the room (4016) smelt so heavily of cigarettes that is made you gag. Even with signs everywhere stating it is illegal to smoke in the hotel, the room had an ash tray on the table. My husband who is a smoker agreed it smelt so bad, that we would request a room change. The only room they had was a twin room (5012) which was delightful in comparison ........until we awoke this morning to find big stains on the carpet, as if someone had vomited, a shower head that barely worked and a tide mark of dirt around the walls. I'm glad I didn't book a 'bog standard' room? The room was expensive at £209 for one night with breakfast included, however, they gave us a 20% discount....still very expensive. We waited an hour and forty minutes to get a bar meal at around 8 pm last evening, there wasn't enough staff or seating at all. The meal was good when we finally got a place to sit. The bar manager was argumentative when we asked why he gave the next table away and we got mixed messages from staff re seating criteria. Overnight the hotel was quiet and the bed itself was good. Breakfast was ok, plenty of hot fresh food and beverages. Check in and parking was ok. Costa changed £4.70 for a medio latte!
The hotel is close to the NEC but they definitely wouldn't get custom if left to their own merit. Only the bar man was vaguely helpful. This isn't an experience I intend to repeat, I would rather do a long drive than run the gauntlet again.

Room Tip: 5012 is better than 4016 but still not good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank neveradullmoment50

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us.

I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your visit and your comments will certainly be shared with the relevant departmental managers for their attention.

Please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and I can assure you your feedback will be acted upon to improve levels of service.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

The hotel was busy due to the Crufts dog show, which I was helping show two dogs. The hotel staff coped well with this high volume of people and dogs. All dogs behaved well. The room was to a high standard. I could only fault the shower leaked, just ends up wasting another clean towel (most hotels do around the world for some reason) and my second comment was that I needed a shoe shine machine or kit. No such service was available when I asked however the staff were very apologetic. Breakfast was great too! I will be back next year.

Room Tip: Solo rooms aren't small and pokey. But reasonably roomy
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sam

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comment6s via TripAdvisor.

Crufts week is an exceptionally busy time for us and I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel. I am sorry you had a problem with your shower - we would have attended to this issue if brought to our attention but regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

I was delighted to see you enjoyed your breakfast experience and we look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

i booked myself and my 3 staff into the the hilton for the 4 day KBB event at the NEC to at least try and treat them to a little luxury for there hard work up to this event. all four of us would like to thank the staff for their absolute professionalism in all they did for us.
the facilities are just what you need after a long day on your feet, pool, gym and of course the steam room..
see you again soon,

thanks from the team @socketbox.co.uk

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

I'm very pleased that you and your team had such a pleasant stay with us and that you found the facilities in the leisure centre just what was needed to relax and unwind.after a long hard day.

We look forward to giving you a very warm welcome when you return again.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#27 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!