“Could do better”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed at the Hilton while visiting the Nec. The hotel as a whole was ok but the buffet breakfast was appalling and would defiantly have failed food hygiene standards on temperature. Most of the products (mushrooms, hash browns, sausages) were not even warm let alone over 60 degrees, and the grilled tomatoes must have missed the grill as they passed through the kitchen. Would I stay there again yes but not for breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to see that you had not enjoyed your breakfast experience, we usually receive very positive feedback in this area. We always encourage guests to replace the dish covers on the breakfast items to ensure the correct temperature is maintained. Nevertheless, your comments have been shared with our Restaurant Manager and I do hope you will accept my apologies for any disappointment caused.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed over whilst on Food and drink exhibition at NEC.
Arrived at around 5.30 pm and the entrance hall was full of people waiting to check in. The staff handled the queues well and after around 20 minute wait, I was still greeted with a smile on face and a warm welcome words, so high score for that.
In general, staff at this hotel were all very nice, polite, welcoming, smiling and greeting me as I walked through long reception corridors to get to my room.
Again, check out was easy, they asked how my stay was. All good on staff, definitely.
We had a private function room booked for dinner and the food was nice, nice wine to go with it.
The bar downstairs was very busy late at night, which is understandable as in middle of nowhere.
I stayed in what is described as single traveller room in the far end section of the hotel. The room was adequate size, well appointed - however i would have liked to have a bottle of water to come to, they are not expensive these days and it makes a big difference after long travel.
I slept very well, the double bed was comfortable and the duvet was heavenly.
BUT..!!!
The toilet arrangement in my opinion is a massive step too far! It's a no no!!! To have exposed toilet like that, come on!! Even being the only person in the room- it's at the edge of plain disgusting!!
I don't care about shelf in shower to leave shampoo bottles on or free toiletries- safe the money and install glass sliding door or something.

Would I stay again. Yes, but never ever would I stay in single traveler room!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide youir feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

Although I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed your stay with us, I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with the re-design of the single occupancy rooms. These rooms were designed to give the guest the optimum amount of space, and whilst we have received some very positive feedback regarding the layout of these rooms, we will of course take your comments on board.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Hilton Birmingham Metropole, boasts a huge venue and lavish leisure facilities. Enjoy a work out, Spa treatment or a relaxing swim on site, before dining in comfort and style at their on site restaurant. With excellent speed and quality of service, the staff will make you feel most welcome and take care of any needs you may have with the utmost efficiency. An excellent choice for a relaxing getaway amidst the business of Birmingham.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Simon

Thank you for such a great review.

It's a real pleasure knowing that you had such a great stay with us and also enjoyed the spa facilities too.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Had a great stay at the this hotel whilst at a trade show at the NEC, this hotel is perfect for the NEC easy to get to by Car and a 5 minute strll to the larger exhibition halls, hada very friendly concierge who gave us soem great advice on where to eat out as we arrived in the evening, pointed us to Gnowle village only 10 mins drive away with a wide selection of restaurants and a world away from the corporateness of the bar area of the Hilton

Room Tip: room with a view of the lake a better option, plane noise form airport hardly effects rooms at all

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review on TripAdvisor, following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and very pleased to see that you were impressed with the service you received from our friendly Concierge.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was staying on the first floor and there was a really bad smell of damp, must have been here a while as it smells old. It seems to be in all the rooms, the whole floor and the my room was really bad. I did report it to reception but they said no one else had said anything ...... Suggested they come up and see for themselves, they told me to mention it to check out the following morning! All communal areas seem to be OK, however if you are happy to pay £4.50 for a costa coffee and over £5.00 for a pint then this is the place for you ....... Me, I would rather spend my hard earned on somewhere a lot cheaper that would be 10 times better. This is only Birmingham after all.....

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in relation to your recent visit to the hotel.

I was sorry that you found a damp smell along your corridor. Although I have discussed this matter with our Executive Housekeeper, I'm afraid that we are unable to offer any explanation for the unusual odour, however I do hope you will accept my apologies for any disappointment.

The prices charged throughout the hotel do reflect a general 4 star standard and are in line with other 4 star establishments throughout the country.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

There are relatively few hotels in the immediate surrounds of the NEC and this Hilton is probably better than most despite the rather pumped up prices. As a Hilton Honors member, I was greeted efficiently though no porters at the entrance to assist with luggage. Check-in at 4.00pm was quick and my executive room appeared clean and well-maintained. Good, fast and free Wi-Fi service in this room and public areas is an improvement on previous experience. A real frustration was that the chair for the desk had not been selected without ergonomics in mind. It was far too low and within 30 mins, I had to cease work on my laptop as back ache had taken over. Choice of restaurants for dinner is modest but breakfasts are good with a wide selection of continental style food and hot buffet of traditional English specialities. Will return, I am sure.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was pleased to see that you had generally enjoyed your stay with us and apologise our porters were not available at the time of your arrival.

Your comments regarding the chair have been noted and thank you again for providing your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was in this hotel twice (two night stays each) in March, first time in a standard room, and second time in an Executive Room. First impressions were good, the rooms were clean, well appointed and the beds comfortable. The executive room had a lovely view over the lake and a large bed, the bathroom was fine with plenty of clean fresh towels . I really liked the executive lounge , good service, nibbles and a relaxing environment. Breakfasts are also of hight quality with plenty of choice and my only comment is that the hash browns were a bit "floury". Service otherwise was first class. I would recommend this hotel as an excellent business venue.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I'm delighted that you had enjoyed your recent stay with us and pleased to see that you enjoyed the benefits of upgrading to our Executive rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#27 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!