“Weekend break”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
“Weekend break”
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights, disappointed at the vast price difference in the 2 nights (Sat/Sun) more than double the cost for the Saturday. Drinks at the bar very expensive and car park charge high, that said it is a lovely hotel, room was comfortable & clean.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for providing your feedback and I was plesed to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We hope to see you return again soon.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
york
Reviewed 27 March 2014

On arriving at The Hilton, my jaw dropped at the moment I walked in. Built thirty five years ago, it doesn't look as if it has had a refit since, very glum and old fashioned. Before check in we had a drink at Costa Coffee in the foyer, we ordered our drinks and were told to take a seat, when the drinks were brought over we were charged 10% service charge for them to bring the drinks a matter of four or five meters, not a good start.
We stayed in an executive suite, room number 2225 and at £298 a night including parking, I was expecting luxury. How wrong I was, right from the start the stay did not live up to expectations. When booking I had requested a top floor room with a view of the lake. We checked by a girl that really looked as if she wasn't interested in us or what she was doing, we were told that we had a room on the second floor, given a key card and pointed in the direction of the elevator.
On the second floor we walked down a long dark, depressing looking corridor to our room. On entering I pulled back some rather grubby looking net curtains to see a view of some roof tops and other hotel rooms, no sign of any lake.
The room itself was also very dark and depressing with wallpaper peeling off, chipped furniture and skirting boards, which were also rather grubby, on a plus point the bathroom looked bright and clean, although I was later to find out that the shower cubical was that small that when I dropped the soap I had to open the cubical door in order to pick it up and if you are over six foot four you won't be able to stand up straight. There are tea and coffee making facilities of a sort, but the milk was disgusting and we only had one sweetener between two of us.
We left the room and made our way across to the NEC , which can be accessed through a maze of corridors and out of the rear entrance. Here a large group of smokers had congregated and we had to negotiate through a haze of smoke. Outside there is a water feature that doesn't work, is partly covered and has some traffic cones on it, very nice. The sign to the building is missing and there are what looks like live wires hanging down, not at all what you would expect from Hilton.
With the executive room apparently you also have access to an executive suite on the fifth floor, nobody told us about this, or what was included on checking or when booking, but we did later find out about this later from another guest. Had we known about this earlier we would have been entitled to afternoon tea.
However, we went up there around 6pm to see what was available, there were some very basic snacks, tea, coffee, fruit juice etc. some cheap spirits and beers as well as three wines, red, white and rose, all of which were undrinkable. It would seem that as everything was complementary they really didn't want you to know about it and it is nicely hidden away on the top floor.
The following morning we went for breakfast and for the money we paid, was expecting waitress service and was very disappointed to find a basic buffet. We were shown to a table and asked if we would like tea or coffee, however, this didn't arrive and we had to asked again some fifteen minutes later. When the coffee did finally arrive I wish that I hadn't bothered, as it must having been stewing all morning, I had one mouthful then had to leave it. I really should have informed the waitress, but by this time I had given up.
Needless to say this was not the luxury stay that I had expected. There are dozens of hotels at a third of the price all over Birmingham, so don't waste your money staying here. Will Hilton be bothered about my comments? I very much doubt it as they can fill this place all day long with businessmen on company expenses working at the NEC.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gary

Thank you for taking the trouble to write your review following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was very sorry to see that we had failed to meet your expectations in certain areas. Whilst we will always endeavour to meet guest requests for certain views etc., unfortunately these cannot be guaranteed when the hotel is particularly busy. Your comments regarding your room have been noted and shared with the relevant management and I apologise for any disappointment.

I can advise that the water feature to which you refer is currently under construction, hence the warning cones. This work, together with the replacement signage is due to be completed within the next couple of weeks.

You should have had the benefits of the Executive Lounge explained to you upon arrival and I will ensure this feedback is shared with our Front Office Manager for review with the team.

We do take all guest feedback extrememly seriously and I very much regret your disappointment on this occasion.

Thank you aain for your feedback.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Great Hotel, professional staff, good food, excellent location for NEC. Would recommend to all. I stayed at the Hilton on Business as we were exhibiting at the Foodex show at the NEC. Great location, 15 minutes walk, free car parking and good facilities. I am a light sleeper, so the motorway traffic kept me awake for a while, the hotel cant do anything about this, so cant really complain.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Nicki

Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay with us.

It's great to see that you had such an enjoyable visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and thank you for your recommendation.

Swansea
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We booked this hotel because of its proximity to the NEC where we were attending a show.
We arrived a couple of hours before official check in time but were given our room immediately. The staff were really friendly and very helpful.
The hotel is very impressive with huge chandeliers in the main hall and very elegantly decorated.
Our room was very clean with the most comfortable beds ever.
There was a refreshment tray but no biscuits or bottled water. There was an ironing board, iron and a really good hairdryer provided.
We ate in the hotel restaurant in the evening. There was no menu as such but a buffet being served at £28 pp.
It was excellent and some dishes cooked in front of you while you wait and all the ingredients very fresh.
I had a salad to start, chicken chow mein and shared lemon meringue and a cheeseboard for dessert. Everything was excellent.
Breakfast the next morning was really good with an extensive menu to choose from and everything tasted really fresh even though we were late going down.
The staff were happy and very chatty.
It was great having a 12 o'clock check out so not rushed in any way.
Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were overlooking the main entrance and even though we were 5 floors up there was a lot of noise w...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer

I'm so pleased that you had such a great stay with us and delighted that you had also enjoyed your dining and breakfast experiences.

We always aim to make everyone feel welcome and thank you for sharing your comments.

We hope to see you return again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Have been staying at this Hotel for over 20 years!, I am a Hilton Gold card member,
When we arrived met at reception by charming young man called Stephen, who was pleased to inform us that because I was gold card member we had been upgraded to an Executive Room ( this has happened on most occasions) in the past when we went to the Room we were made to feel proud to be a Hilton Gold member , sometimes a couple of bottles of water , a few chocolates, even a small bottle of wine! Dressing gowns, slippers, were all complimentary and a even a letter from guest relations welcoming us back! . This time over the 2 nights we stayed , we didn't even get a biscuit with the tea & coffee , come on Hilton let's get back to Your famous hospitality .

Room Tip: 3rd floor was quiet!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your providing your feedback.

I was pleased to see that as a regular guest of ours, we have usually been able to offer the complimentary upgrade and benefits associated with being a Hilton Honors Gold member, when availability has permitted. Although I was disappointed to see that on your last visit these usual benefits had been overlooked. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings experienced on this occasion and rest assured that your feedback will be shared with the relevant management team.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Arrived at the hotel in the afternoon to find it very difficult to find a parking space. People were parked on double yellow lines and grass verges. This got even busier as the afternoon went on. The receptionist was friendly but did not tell me about dining options or breakfast. When I enquired about whether I would need to make a dinner reservation she booked me into the most expensive restaurant and didn't even mention the other ones. As there was limited information about the hotel facilities in the room I had to check on their website and found that the restaurant she had booked me for a buffet costing £27 - way above the limit for dinner set by my company.

I was booked into one of the refurbished sole use double rooms which is a small room with a double bed pushed up against the wall, with a shower at the headboard and no toilet door. The room (and hotel as a whole) was absolutely freezing and the tv took 10 minutes to warm up and switch on. The sink was dirty with spat toothpaste in it.

As the hotel was so cold I decided to order room service however whoever had refurbished the room had fixed a desk to the wall trapping the phone cable and so the phone could not be plugged in (why this had not been noticed before I do not know). So I put on my winter coat and walked to the opposite end of the hotel to find the concierge. He pointed me towards a phone and told me to phone room service on that. Whilst it surprised me that he wasn't more apologetic and didn't offer to take the order and pass it on himself, it surprised me more that he did not offer to get the phone fixed especially as I am visibly heavily pregnant and had to walk to the other end of hotel to get any help from anyone.

Whilst I waited for room service I decided to take a shower however the water was brown (see pic). The lady who delivered my meal was helpful and said she would send maintenance up to fix both the shower and the phone. Maintenance told me that the reason the water was dirty was because they were refurbishing rooms on the floor below and they must have knocked some muck into the pipes and that if I continued to leave it running then eventually it would clear. I don't find this to be an acceptable response or explanation and think I should have been moved rooms. In addition to this, the shower doors have a 1cm gap around them so when the shower is on, the bathroom (and bedroom as there is no door) floods.

I hadn't realised it was possible to make a flavourless spaghetti bolognese (described as
"rich beef bolognese sauce") but this hotel achieved it. I wouldn't have paid £5 in a pub for this, never mind the £10 they charged. Due to the cold room, I had to leave the heating on through the night however this was very noisy (again, you wouldn't expect this in a newly refurbished room). My colleague chose not to put the heating on in their room for this reason but had to phone down to reception for an extra quilt.

As mentioned in previous reviews the wifi charge in the bedrooms is ludicrous, especially when you can get free wifi in most places these days, including on a bus! The bar was ridiculously busy (probably from people being forced out their rooms to connect to the free wifi) and overpriced. Parking charges are expensive too, especially when the car park is so chaotic. They even had to lift the barrier at the end of the day to let everyone out as there was such a traffic jam.

The hotel seems to focus more on getting as much money as they can out of their residents than on customer service and use the tired excuse that their charges are comparable to other hotels in the area. However what they don't seem to realise is that people don't mind paying London prices on the outskirts of Birmingham if there is a quality service e.g. if the food tastes like it is worth what you pay for it, if the bedrooms are clean, comfortable and fit for purpose, if there is adequate parking for the number of rooms in the hotel. If people feel they are being overcharged, they become angry and don't become repeat customers.

This stay has totally put me off the Hilton brand as it seems as though they are doing things on the cheap but charging the earth for it. I personally think that they could learn a lot from budget brand Premier Inn as they seem much more focused on customer service, always explain where/ when breakfast is, ask if you want a dinner reservation, rooms are large, comfortable and clean and they have a good night guarantee which means they make the effort to ensure your sleep isn't disturbed by noisy heating systems, poorly fitted curtains, banging doors etc.

I would not stay in this hotel again or recommend it to others and was glad to move out to the Holiday Inn for my second night which had better quality rooms and customer service.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with certain aspects of your stay with us.

Although we have over 700 car parking spaces, when the hotel is particularly busy these can fill quite quickly, as can be the case with most popuilar venues. I regret any difficulty you had finding a space.

The hotel has a variety of dining outlets from A la Carte, to the buffet style restaurant to our Lounge Bar and Room Service and w aim to cater for all budgets. I do however apologise that these options were not fully explained to you upon arrival.

It is unfortuante that you experienced certain maintenance issues with your room. Usually we would normally have been only too happy to offer a room change and I am sorry this did not happen on this occasion.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope that despite any disappointment experienced during this stay you will reconsider visiting us again at some point in the future.

Pewsey
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed at the Hilton while visiting the Nec. The hotel as a whole was ok but the buffet breakfast was appalling and would defiantly have failed food hygiene standards on temperature. Most of the products (mushrooms, hash browns, sausages) were not even warm let alone over 60 degrees, and the grilled tomatoes must have missed the grill as they passed through the kitchen. Would I stay there again yes but not for breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to see that you had not enjoyed your breakfast experience, we usually receive very positive feedback in this area. We always encourage guests to replace the dish covers on the breakfast items to ensure the correct temperature is maintained. Nevertheless, your comments have been shared with our Restaurant Manager and I do hope you will accept my apologies for any disappointment caused.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#22 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!