“Great stay and comfortable room”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Great stay and comfortable room”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed for only one night at the Hilton to go to a concert at the NEC. Check-in was fairly quick as it was quite busy in reception and the staff were all very professional and attentive but not overly friendly but that may have been due to the amount of people they were checking in. The room was lovely and clean and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have slept in! Everything in the room was in working order. We included breakfast in our package which was excellent. They catered for a variety of diets and there was a lot of choice. Again the staff in the restaurant were polite and attentive. I would definitely stay again and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and your recommendation.

It's great to hear that you had such a lovely stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (980)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Northampton, England
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Having previously had a great stay at the Hilton Metropole my partner and I re-booked for a 1 night stay following an event at the LG Arena. We have 2 small children so this was to be a real treat and some relaxing "adult time" together but we were so disappointed.

As others have also reviewed the Queues were ludicrous and began as soon as we got to the car park, we then queued for 20 minutes to check in before being advised the system had crashed and there would be a further delay, we were given complimentary drinks and advised to try again in a while. We drank our drinks and I returned to check in again, the system crashed again so we were given another drink and waited further. 3rd attempt after 1hr 30 minutes we finally checked in!!

We booked an Executive suite and I was VERY disappointed with what we received. The room was very tatty and run down, in dire need of a revamp, items broken and damaged, carpets lifting, holes in curtains, to be honest not at all what you expect from Hilton. I complained at reception but as there was a large conference on at the same time we were unable to change rooms.

After returning from the event at the LG arena we decided to have a drink in the lounge bar before heading to bed, what a mistake! We queued for 25 minutes as there were only 2 staff behind the bar despite the Large Teaching conference previously mentioned.

The Executive lounge was the only enjoyable part of the stay, Tea and cakes available in the Afternoon and a nice selection of drinks and nibbles available in the evening.

Just for reference I complained directly to the hotel and they were very dismissive of me and my complaints showing no real interest in my concerns, they sent a bog standard email reply offering me a free return 1 night stay within 6 months. As I live over 90 minutes away and only visit for events at NEC/ LG arena I think they knew they were fairly safe that I would not be able to take them up on their "kind offer"

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pinkfairygirl13
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in relation to your recent visit to the hotel.

I was of course very sorry to learn that you had been inconvenienced as a result of the system failure we experienced at the time of your check-in. Whilst we did attempt to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, I regret any delay caused.

It is disappointing to see that your room had a number of maintenance issues and I am aware that these have since been attended to, although this is no consolation to you now. However, I was pleased to see that we had offered you a complimentary one night stay by way of apology for the disappointment you had experienced. I do hope you are able to take up this offer.

I can assure you that all feedback is taken extremely seriously and all concerns are discussed with the management team to ensure improvements are made.

Thank you again for your comments.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed here for one night its in a great location for Birmingham airport and motorways
Check in was very pleasant and top marks to pueblo who explained the hotel to us.
The room was very clean and comfortable and we took our evening meal in the Lounge bar we received good service and the food was hot and fresh
Breakfast was good quality and again we received excellent service could not fault the staff at this hotel all so helpful.
This is a large hotel in the Nec complex but if you go to the back of the hotel there is a lovely wood you can walk through that has plenty of wild flowers and wildlife also a huge lake to walk around.

Dear Dulais

Thank you so much for your great review.

It's very pleasing to see that you had such an enjoyable visit and we are ideally located to many Midland attractions too, as well as easy access to the NEC and LG Arena.

We hope you return again very soon.

Wolves
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Overnight stay with a weeks parking.

We arrived at 9pm, staff were chatting amongst themselves in no hurry to check us in!
We were told to "find anywhere" to park "! Staff were poorly presented and whilst I understand it was the evening, some staff and their uniforms were unkempt (dirty)!
Room was clean and basic but just the job for one night, so I could of overlooked the check in. however, to arrive downstairs 15 mins ahead of the advised time for the shuttle to the airport, the following morning and then still be waiting 20 minutes AFTER the promised shuttle time, to be told when I pointed out we had a plane to catch that "well it is a complimentary service" was a disgrace. The manager wouldn't come and speak with me, he was allegedly sorting an issue in the bar but could be seen 'chatting'. The entrance was filled with early morning smokers (revellers still partying) who clearly had no other place available to get their fix and no offence guys but I don't want to start a journey stinking of smoke but in hindsight a fitting first impression for this hovel because it doesn't get any better when you go in!!

Room Tip: Don't bother
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

I was of course very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and your comments and feedback will be shared with the management team for their review with the teams in question.

The hotel does have presentation and grooming standards that all team members are expected to adhere to and I was surprised to read your comments regarding the "dirty" uniforms.

With regards to our courtesy bus service, i can advise that this services operates 24 hours a day and we would always recommend booking seats to avoid disappointment in not being able to obtain a seat at the required departure time.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment on this occasion.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is my second time at the Hilton Birmingham to see Johnny Mathis at the LG Arena and it was even better than the last time. This time I booked an Executive Room. It was clean, modern with a great view of the lake. Although we had only one robe and slippers housekeeping promptly sent up another for us and were very apologetic. The Lounge was on the same floor. My experience was of it being user-friendly, quiet and when I went for a drink at 6pm I was welcomed by a friendly member of staff. Although the Hotel was fully booked the room was quiet and I hardly heard any noise in the corridor. We treated ourselves to the full English Breakfast in our room the next morning. It was definitely worth the extra cost. The food was hot, tasty and it was delivered promptly. I spoke to several different members of staff and I can honestly say that they were all friendly, polite and helpful. I would have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel and I very much hope to return at some point in the future.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are quiet and some have a nice view of the lake.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted to see that you had enjoyed the benefits of our Executive rooms and thank you for your comments regarding the friendly service you received from the team.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We queued to book in! We queued at the bar! We queued for breakfast and I mean queued for at least 15 minutes! There was one small toaster so guess what you had to queue! We queued to book out! The hotel is very expensive for what it is. Stayed in an executive room which was smaller than normal. Only one set of slippers and bath robe in room. The executive lounge was small, overcrowed and very dated. We even had to queue in this lounge! It was like feeding time at the zoo because of its restricted times when they serve snacks and alcohol. The staff were very rude to the guests even telling them off for leaving bottle tops on the side? This hotel is very busy due to its location and it has no other amenities within walking distance so it seems to take advatage of this.....sorry one of the worst 4 star hotels we have stayed in.....stay clear unless you like to queue of course!

Room Tip: Dont upgrade to a executive room, its not worth it!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Trevor

Thank you for your feedback.

Whilst we attempt to serve our guests as quickly and efficiently as possible, unfortuntely at times when the hotel is particularly busy, delays can sometimes be experienced and I regret any inconvenience you were caused.

I was surprised to read your comments regarding the attitude from the team in the Executive Lounge - your comments will be shared with the relevant Manager for his review and action. Nevertheless, please accept my apologies if you felt our staff were anything other than polite and courteous.

Thank you again for your comments.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed at the Hilton metropole Saturday evening as we were going to see Gary Barlow at the Arena. he was amazing. The hotel was not I am afraid. We had an executive suite at a cost of £269.it was very shabby. The loo didn't flush properly, the sink did not empty easily. We went to the executive lounge for drinks and 'canapés' at six o'clock it was nothing less than walking into a canteen. There were so many people we couldn't get a seat or a drink. On returning from the arena we went to the bar for a drink it took me nearly 30 minutes queuing at the bar for a drink no waiter service. We decided to order a sandwich to the room which came fairly quickly the bread wasn't very fresh.,we had eaten in the bar that afternoon marks out of 10 around four. Sunday morning down for breakfast there was a long queue around 20 minutes wait. The breakfast was ok but nothing special
I think next time will try the Crown Plaza have always stayed at the Hilton but that was definitely the last time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

Firstly, may I apologise for the maintenance issues you experienced in your room, our Maintenance team are available 24 hours a day to rectify any issues reported and if they are unable to rectify the issue immediately, a room change will be arranged.

Our Executive Lounge is very popular with many of our Executive guests and consequently it can become quite busy when the hotel is full.

Waiter service is available in our Lounge Bar and I am sorry you experienced a delay in service due to heavy demand at this time.

When the hotel is partricularly busy, as it was during the time of your stay, we would always recommend an early or late breakfast, for a more leisurely experience.

I do you hope you reconsider visiting us again at some point in the future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!