“Good as ever”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #72 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Very impressed with a staff member on reception as we arrived several hours earlier than official check-in time and he managed to find us a room which was ready as I was suffering with a severe headache and really needed to rest. Excellent service there! I have stayed here many times and the room was very good as usual, breakfast is always the very best I have found in any hotel and staff were generally very helpful and polite. There was an issue where I had asked to pay for the room on arrival and discovered on check-out that this had not happened - as it was the end of my financial month this was a bit of a worry, but happily everything was fine and the staff member was apologetic and gave me free parking for my stay to make up for this. The only recurring problem I ever have here is that the showers tend to leak dreadfully and can rather flood the bathroom, would be nice if this could be sorted! I see a number of reviewers have also mentioned delays in service in the bar/lounge area, we always order food and drink direct from the bar as it tends to be quicker, even when it's busy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review following your recent visit to the hotel.

I'm delighted to see that you always receive excellent service when you visit and glad to see you enjoy your breakfast experience.

I was pleased to see that the billing issue had been resolved to your satisfaction on departure and regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

Although we are not aware of a general problem with regards to leaking showers, your comments have been shared with our Chief Engineer for his review.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Me and some friend stayed here in june last year for the vampire diaries conventions they hold there and was really pleased with the room and the food was amazing! pricey for the food but I reckon you pay for what you get and was worth paying for! loved the carbonara! haha.
The staff where very helpful even with the amount of convention people staying and taking over the hotel even letting me know I could use the computer room to print off my boarding pass.
Staying here again in june and in july and cannot wait to come back! I am an honours member and hope this year to earn some decent points on my account! Always very busy with being at near the airport but staff still try and help as much as they can.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Toni

Thank you for your review and it's great to see that you enjoyed your visit here last year. I was pleased to see that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful, we always aim to make everyone feel at home with a warm Midlands welcome.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stay here fairly regularly as a Diamond Honours member I am always upgraded. The executive rooms are very nicely decorated and the bathroom has separate bath and shower.
Good room service and our company receives 20% of food and free parking which is excellent. The exec lounge is very nice with good views and free drinks and hot nibbles 6-8pm. Breakfast here is always lovely instead of having to go to the main restaurant.
The gym and pool are very good and a key reason for me staying here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Jeremy

Thank you for your great review and it's a pleasure to know you're one of our regular loyal guests. I hope we continue to welcome you back for many years to to come.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed for only one night at the Hilton to go to a concert at the NEC. Check-in was fairly quick as it was quite busy in reception and the staff were all very professional and attentive but not overly friendly but that may have been due to the amount of people they were checking in. The room was lovely and clean and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have slept in! Everything in the room was in working order. We included breakfast in our package which was excellent. They catered for a variety of diets and there was a lot of choice. Again the staff in the restaurant were polite and attentive. I would definitely stay again and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and your recommendation.

It's great to hear that you had such a lovely stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Having previously had a great stay at the Hilton Metropole my partner and I re-booked for a 1 night stay following an event at the LG Arena. We have 2 small children so this was to be a real treat and some relaxing "adult time" together but we were so disappointed.

As others have also reviewed the Queues were ludicrous and began as soon as we got to the car park, we then queued for 20 minutes to check in before being advised the system had crashed and there would be a further delay, we were given complimentary drinks and advised to try again in a while. We drank our drinks and I returned to check in again, the system crashed again so we were given another drink and waited further. 3rd attempt after 1hr 30 minutes we finally checked in!!

We booked an Executive suite and I was VERY disappointed with what we received. The room was very tatty and run down, in dire need of a revamp, items broken and damaged, carpets lifting, holes in curtains, to be honest not at all what you expect from Hilton. I complained at reception but as there was a large conference on at the same time we were unable to change rooms.

After returning from the event at the LG arena we decided to have a drink in the lounge bar before heading to bed, what a mistake! We queued for 25 minutes as there were only 2 staff behind the bar despite the Large Teaching conference previously mentioned.

The Executive lounge was the only enjoyable part of the stay, Tea and cakes available in the Afternoon and a nice selection of drinks and nibbles available in the evening.

Just for reference I complained directly to the hotel and they were very dismissive of me and my complaints showing no real interest in my concerns, they sent a bog standard email reply offering me a free return 1 night stay within 6 months. As I live over 90 minutes away and only visit for events at NEC/ LG arena I think they knew they were fairly safe that I would not be able to take them up on their "kind offer"

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pinkfairygirl13

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in relation to your recent visit to the hotel.

I was of course very sorry to learn that you had been inconvenienced as a result of the system failure we experienced at the time of your check-in. Whilst we did attempt to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, I regret any delay caused.

It is disappointing to see that your room had a number of maintenance issues and I am aware that these have since been attended to, although this is no consolation to you now. However, I was pleased to see that we had offered you a complimentary one night stay by way of apology for the disappointment you had experienced. I do hope you are able to take up this offer.

I can assure you that all feedback is taken extremely seriously and all concerns are discussed with the management team to ensure improvements are made.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed here for one night its in a great location for Birmingham airport and motorways
Check in was very pleasant and top marks to pueblo who explained the hotel to us.
The room was very clean and comfortable and we took our evening meal in the Lounge bar we received good service and the food was hot and fresh
Breakfast was good quality and again we received excellent service could not fault the staff at this hotel all so helpful.
This is a large hotel in the Nec complex but if you go to the back of the hotel there is a lovely wood you can walk through that has plenty of wild flowers and wildlife also a huge lake to walk around.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dulais

Thank you so much for your great review.

It's very pleasing to see that you had such an enjoyable visit and we are ideally located to many Midland attractions too, as well as easy access to the NEC and LG Arena.

We hope you return again very soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Overnight stay with a weeks parking.

We arrived at 9pm, staff were chatting amongst themselves in no hurry to check us in!
We were told to "find anywhere" to park "! Staff were poorly presented and whilst I understand it was the evening, some staff and their uniforms were unkempt (dirty)!
Room was clean and basic but just the job for one night, so I could of overlooked the check in. however, to arrive downstairs 15 mins ahead of the advised time for the shuttle to the airport, the following morning and then still be waiting 20 minutes AFTER the promised shuttle time, to be told when I pointed out we had a plane to catch that "well it is a complimentary service" was a disgrace. The manager wouldn't come and speak with me, he was allegedly sorting an issue in the bar but could be seen 'chatting'. The entrance was filled with early morning smokers (revellers still partying) who clearly had no other place available to get their fix and no offence guys but I don't want to start a journey stinking of smoke but in hindsight a fitting first impression for this hovel because it doesn't get any better when you go in!!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

I was of course very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and your comments and feedback will be shared with the management team for their review with the teams in question.

The hotel does have presentation and grooming standards that all team members are expected to adhere to and I was surprised to read your comments regarding the "dirty" uniforms.

With regards to our courtesy bus service, i can advise that this services operates 24 hours a day and we would always recommend booking seats to avoid disappointment in not being able to obtain a seat at the required departure time.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment on this occasion.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#27 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!