“Business stay at the Hilton Metropole”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Business stay at the Hilton Metropole”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Made to feel very welcome, room upgraded, which enhanced the stay. Meeting room serviced to a good standard
Meeting room used for two days, roomy and well equipped.
Excellent dinner, wish I had time to enjoy pool and spa.

Room Tip: Spa not used, but I am sure it is well appreciated. Food very good both Dinner and Breakfast. No n...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Colin

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was delighted to see that you had enjoyed your stay with us and hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (975)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 29 April 2014

After booking a 1 night stay at the hilton,i would be more than happy to book another short holiday break.overall my exprience was pleasent,room was clean and the service we recieved from the staff omg amazing,friendly and served us with a smile

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I'm pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us and especially pleased to see that you were impressed with the levels of service you received from our team. We aim to make everyone feel welcome when they visit.

We hope to see you return again soon.

Wolverhampton
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Please see my previous reviews on this Hotel, in particular, my last visit in 2012, which was an unsatisfactory stay. This culminated in Hilton Head Office sending me a Be My Guest Certificate as compensation.
Although, at the time, I felt I couldn't stay at this Hotel again, I decided to give the Hotel another chance, and booked a stay again using the certificate, for Sat June 15th 2013.
It's with disappointment, it was unfortunately, not a great experience again.
Upon check-in, the girl informed me we had a twin room booked, instead of the Queen Deluxe. When this was resolved, I asked her about whether I had received an executive upgrade on EStandby, as requested.
Her response was to tell me it wasn't possible, as the Hotel was fully booked.
I found out this was not the case, at all, by checking on the Hilton iPhone app, where executive rooms (and standard) were still available to book, after I had checked in.
This also happened to me on my previous visit.
I understand, the E Standby upgrade is subject to availability, but I don't appreciate being lied to. The Hotel was not fully booked and both executive and standard rooms were still available, that afternoon/evening.
When we got to our room, room 1002, the key card didn't work.
I got housekeeping to try it, but no joy. So, I had to go back to reception and rejoin the check in queue. The same girl apologised and rescanned the key.
When I got back to the room, the key card still wouldn't work. Again, housekeeping were unable to gain access with it either.
So, I went back to the ground floor and rejoined the check in queue for the third time.
Another girl rescanned the key and got concierge to accompany me to the room. Third time lucky, the key card worked! This was not a great start.
We eat in Millers Restaurant that evening at 8.30pm, and our starters were bought out, before the bread & balsamic vinegar, we'd ordered, had arrived.
We then had a 45 minute wait between our starters being collected, and our main course being served. The only apology we had, was literally a few minutes before the main course was served, from the waitress.
We're baffled why it took so long, as there were only about 4 tables occupied in the conservatory area.
The chicken main course was Limoncello, but there was no lemon taste to it, we got about 8 chips each, 1 mushroom & 1 tomato. It was edible, but very bland for around £16.00 a head.
And so onto the bar experience,
I ordered a bottle of Pinot Grigio at £28. Little did I know it would be a bottle of Solstice that sells for £11.99 a bottle at a local pub chain. I'm guessing from the cost price, there's a 250% mark up on this bottle.
There were 3-4 bar staff talking near a till at one point, when we required table service. One couple on the next table to us, waited 10 minutes for someone to come to their table, so they could settle a bill.
The bar wasn't even that busy, and not once that evening, did a member of staff offer us table service.
We spent £172.72 in one evening, so we're not freeloaders, who like to complain.
I have stayed at many lesser quality Hotels over the years, and have received much better customer service, than I have ever received at this Hotel.
I, also believe that when one stays at a 4 star Hotel, and spends this amount of money, one is entitled to expect a high level of service, in return.
This, we didn't receive, again.
I did contact the Hotel after this negative experience, and they apologised and part refunded me some of the bill.
As stated previously the Hotel appears elegant, but I've not received 4 star service sadly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cjm24
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for yor review following your visit to the hotel last year. We trust that our explanation and apology, together with our offer of compensation for the inconvenience you experienced went some way to offset any disappointment experienced.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Very impressed with a staff member on reception as we arrived several hours earlier than official check-in time and he managed to find us a room which was ready as I was suffering with a severe headache and really needed to rest. Excellent service there! I have stayed here many times and the room was very good as usual, breakfast is always the very best I have found in any hotel and staff were generally very helpful and polite. There was an issue where I had asked to pay for the room on arrival and discovered on check-out that this had not happened - as it was the end of my financial month this was a bit of a worry, but happily everything was fine and the staff member was apologetic and gave me free parking for my stay to make up for this. The only recurring problem I ever have here is that the showers tend to leak dreadfully and can rather flood the bathroom, would be nice if this could be sorted! I see a number of reviewers have also mentioned delays in service in the bar/lounge area, we always order food and drink direct from the bar as it tends to be quicker, even when it's busy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review following your recent visit to the hotel.

I'm delighted to see that you always receive excellent service when you visit and glad to see you enjoy your breakfast experience.

I was pleased to see that the billing issue had been resolved to your satisfaction on departure and regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

Although we are not aware of a general problem with regards to leaking showers, your comments have been shared with our Chief Engineer for his review.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Me and some friend stayed here in june last year for the vampire diaries conventions they hold there and was really pleased with the room and the food was amazing! pricey for the food but I reckon you pay for what you get and was worth paying for! loved the carbonara! haha.
The staff where very helpful even with the amount of convention people staying and taking over the hotel even letting me know I could use the computer room to print off my boarding pass.
Staying here again in june and in july and cannot wait to come back! I am an honours member and hope this year to earn some decent points on my account! Always very busy with being at near the airport but staff still try and help as much as they can.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Toni

Thank you for your review and it's great to see that you enjoyed your visit here last year. I was pleased to see that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful, we always aim to make everyone feel at home with a warm Midlands welcome.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I stay here fairly regularly as a Diamond Honours member I am always upgraded. The executive rooms are very nicely decorated and the bathroom has separate bath and shower.
Good room service and our company receives 20% of food and free parking which is excellent. The exec lounge is very nice with good views and free drinks and hot nibbles 6-8pm. Breakfast here is always lovely instead of having to go to the main restaurant.
The gym and pool are very good and a key reason for me staying here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Jeremy

Thank you for your great review and it's a pleasure to know you're one of our regular loyal guests. I hope we continue to welcome you back for many years to to come.

Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed for only one night at the Hilton to go to a concert at the NEC. Check-in was fairly quick as it was quite busy in reception and the staff were all very professional and attentive but not overly friendly but that may have been due to the amount of people they were checking in. The room was lovely and clean and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have slept in! Everything in the room was in working order. We included breakfast in our package which was excellent. They catered for a variety of diets and there was a lot of choice. Again the staff in the restaurant were polite and attentive. I would definitely stay again and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and your recommendation.

It's great to hear that you had such a lovely stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#23 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!