“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

As soon as I arrived I felt welcomed, I had been sent an email the previous day saying that me and my gf have been upgraded to VIPs for our stay which have us free breakfast, valet service and enterance to the executive lounge which included free bar and food.
The room was the Queen deluxe which was very nice spacious and had a view of the river which was very relaxing, taxis were parked outside ready to take you anywhere you wanted to go.
Breakfast in the morning was great a vast range of fruit cereal and cooked breakfast with read coffin pot on request. Overall my gf and myself had a great time the staff were friendly and helpful and we would definatly stay again!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Mark

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was very pleased to see that you and your girlfriend had such a great stay with us and I was glad to see you enjoyed the benefits of our Executive Lounge.

I hope we see you both again very soon.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely rooms, very helpful staff and great hotel would definitely stay again. The hotel was extremely busy with a wedding and pool tournament so had to wait a little at the bar, our upgraded suite was amazing very luxurious and made our weekend. Excellent location for LG Arena

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Reviewer

I was so pleased to see that you had such a great stay with us and enjoyed your upgrade to a suite.

We were very busy during your stay and I apologise for any delay you experienced for bar service.

Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to see you again very soon.

Dover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I've stayed at various Hiltons during the past 10+ years and to be fair, I've never been disappointed. Some are slightly better than others, however, the Hilton Metropole, Birmingham exceeded my expectations. I booked a single Hilton Deluxe room and it was lovely, especially for a woman alone (hubby didn't join me on this trip). I had all I needed, very comfortable, excellent evenings rest, luxury touches, quality and cleanliness, definitely value for money, very impressed. The facilities were excellent, the staff couldn't be more helpful, all smiling and all eager to help. It was a busy weekend with several events going on at the same time. Everything was thought out and well structured from my point of view, so absolutely no complaints. Members of the party I was with had to raise awareness of some disturbance during the evening when some of the other 'party goers' were a little 'excitable' after 'lights out', but the reception staff were on it in no time and peace and quiet was restored very quickly. Lovely breakfast options, absolutely fantastic meal the evening before and excellent staff service, no problems at all. Apparently, the Spa facilities were excellent apparently, although I didn't book anything this visit (will do next visit though). If I had to take off my 'rosy coloured glasses' and provide a word of warning, I would say make sure you take your cheque book, after all, it is The Hilton, quality doesn't come cheap :-) Thank you Hilton Metropole, am looking forward to a return visit next year.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel, looking out on the NEC were peaceful, no interrupted sleep
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Pauline

Thank you for such a glowing review.

It's really pleasing to see that you had such an enjoyable visit and particularly pleasing to learn that we exceeded your expectations.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Made to feel very welcome, room upgraded, which enhanced the stay. Meeting room serviced to a good standard
Meeting room used for two days, roomy and well equipped.
Excellent dinner, wish I had time to enjoy pool and spa.

Room Tip: Spa not used, but I am sure it is well appreciated. Food very good both Dinner and Breakfast. No n...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Colin

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was delighted to see that you had enjoyed your stay with us and hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

After booking a 1 night stay at the hilton,i would be more than happy to book another short holiday break.overall my exprience was pleasent,room was clean and the service we recieved from the staff omg amazing,friendly and served us with a smile

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I'm pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us and especially pleased to see that you were impressed with the levels of service you received from our team. We aim to make everyone feel welcome when they visit.

We hope to see you return again soon.

Wolverhampton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Please see my previous reviews on this Hotel, in particular, my last visit in 2012, which was an unsatisfactory stay. This culminated in Hilton Head Office sending me a Be My Guest Certificate as compensation.
Although, at the time, I felt I couldn't stay at this Hotel again, I decided to give the Hotel another chance, and booked a stay again using the certificate, for Sat June 15th 2013.
It's with disappointment, it was unfortunately, not a great experience again.
Upon check-in, the girl informed me we had a twin room booked, instead of the Queen Deluxe. When this was resolved, I asked her about whether I had received an executive upgrade on EStandby, as requested.
Her response was to tell me it wasn't possible, as the Hotel was fully booked.
I found out this was not the case, at all, by checking on the Hilton iPhone app, where executive rooms (and standard) were still available to book, after I had checked in.
This also happened to me on my previous visit.
I understand, the E Standby upgrade is subject to availability, but I don't appreciate being lied to. The Hotel was not fully booked and both executive and standard rooms were still available, that afternoon/evening.
When we got to our room, room 1002, the key card didn't work.
I got housekeeping to try it, but no joy. So, I had to go back to reception and rejoin the check in queue. The same girl apologised and rescanned the key.
When I got back to the room, the key card still wouldn't work. Again, housekeeping were unable to gain access with it either.
So, I went back to the ground floor and rejoined the check in queue for the third time.
Another girl rescanned the key and got concierge to accompany me to the room. Third time lucky, the key card worked! This was not a great start.
We eat in Millers Restaurant that evening at 8.30pm, and our starters were bought out, before the bread & balsamic vinegar, we'd ordered, had arrived.
We then had a 45 minute wait between our starters being collected, and our main course being served. The only apology we had, was literally a few minutes before the main course was served, from the waitress.
We're baffled why it took so long, as there were only about 4 tables occupied in the conservatory area.
The chicken main course was Limoncello, but there was no lemon taste to it, we got about 8 chips each, 1 mushroom & 1 tomato. It was edible, but very bland for around £16.00 a head.
And so onto the bar experience,
I ordered a bottle of Pinot Grigio at £28. Little did I know it would be a bottle of Solstice that sells for £11.99 a bottle at a local pub chain. I'm guessing from the cost price, there's a 250% mark up on this bottle.
There were 3-4 bar staff talking near a till at one point, when we required table service. One couple on the next table to us, waited 10 minutes for someone to come to their table, so they could settle a bill.
The bar wasn't even that busy, and not once that evening, did a member of staff offer us table service.
We spent £172.72 in one evening, so we're not freeloaders, who like to complain.
I have stayed at many lesser quality Hotels over the years, and have received much better customer service, than I have ever received at this Hotel.
I, also believe that when one stays at a 4 star Hotel, and spends this amount of money, one is entitled to expect a high level of service, in return.
This, we didn't receive, again.
I did contact the Hotel after this negative experience, and they apologised and part refunded me some of the bill.
As stated previously the Hotel appears elegant, but I've not received 4 star service sadly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cjm24
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for yor review following your visit to the hotel last year. We trust that our explanation and apology, together with our offer of compensation for the inconvenience you experienced went some way to offset any disappointment experienced.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Very impressed with a staff member on reception as we arrived several hours earlier than official check-in time and he managed to find us a room which was ready as I was suffering with a severe headache and really needed to rest. Excellent service there! I have stayed here many times and the room was very good as usual, breakfast is always the very best I have found in any hotel and staff were generally very helpful and polite. There was an issue where I had asked to pay for the room on arrival and discovered on check-out that this had not happened - as it was the end of my financial month this was a bit of a worry, but happily everything was fine and the staff member was apologetic and gave me free parking for my stay to make up for this. The only recurring problem I ever have here is that the showers tend to leak dreadfully and can rather flood the bathroom, would be nice if this could be sorted! I see a number of reviewers have also mentioned delays in service in the bar/lounge area, we always order food and drink direct from the bar as it tends to be quicker, even when it's busy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review following your recent visit to the hotel.

I'm delighted to see that you always receive excellent service when you visit and glad to see you enjoy your breakfast experience.

I was pleased to see that the billing issue had been resolved to your satisfaction on departure and regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

Although we are not aware of a general problem with regards to leaking showers, your comments have been shared with our Chief Engineer for his review.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#21 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,220 reviews
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!