“Good conference Hotel, but a bit soul less!”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Good conference Hotel, but a bit soul less!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here in early May for a works conference. Well sited for Motorway, rail and airport. Looks big from outside, quite American, and designed for the conference trade. My room on floor 5, was a twin and perhaps bigger than I expected. No where in this bedroom did it tell the process for going for a swim (One pound coin needed) or the fact that on floor 5, was an Executive Lounge (gratis). Stayed here for three nights and I was fairly impressed by the food on offer. Its tough catering for the masses and keeping all of us happy.
What really left a foul taste in my mouth (literally) was the price of the drinks in the lounge! We paid £4.80 for a Boddingtons and £7.20 for a Gin and Tonic. It need not be like this in order to make a profit - Wetherspoons sell me a similar pint for £1.90! Being ripped off certainly spoilt the whole experience for me. Also this Hotel wanted to charge me £15 for wifi access - no way! I stayed a few years back at a Hilton in Florida, and cabled internet was complimentary. Why do the Brits get stung for this because it should be free? MacDonalds don't charge!
The conference facilities were very good - I couldn't fault this aspect. And the Gala Dinner too. All staff that I encountered were very helpful and polite, so that's a thumbs up. The only other major minus was the price of car parking there. My workmates were charged at different rates. ranging from dear to mega dear.
I wanted to give this hotel 4 or 5 stars, but after recalling my experiences, I just cannot do that. If I take the family to a nearby NEC concert, I will be looking out for better value from another chain. I dread to think what it costs to stay at this Hilton Hotel. If you have more money than sense, then please ignore my comments!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 5th floor. This qualifies you to use the Executive Lounge, near the lifts...
1 Thank Willywill
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

I was pleased that overall you had enjoyed your visit to the hotel and had particularly enjoyed your dining experiences.

With regards to prices charged throughout the hotel, these do reflect a 4 * standard and are in line with other 4 * establishments throughout the country. I can also confirm that complimentary wifi access is available in our Executive Lounge and Lounge Bar areas of the hotel.

Although the hotel does operate a parking charge policy, our residents do receive a generous discount.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (962)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Lovely staff and service. Extortionate drink prices. Average food. Parts of the hotel need refurbishment. Paying for parking albeit only £5 if you stay is wrong! Room was ok but again needs attention.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the otel.

I was delighted to see that you were impressed with the levels of service and the frindliness of our team.

Your comments regarding prices are noted and I would respond by saying that our prices are in line with other 4 star establishments throughout the country. We also regularly monitor our prices to ensure we remain competitive.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Is it old fashioned to want a door on the bathroom and a kettle on the table (not connected only at floor level)?. Whoever is responsible for this room design clearly hasn't stayed in one.

On the plus side the conference facilities were good, but I'd stay somewhere else even if attending a conference here, never want to stay in one of those shoebox rooms again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pollythedog
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback.

We have received very positive comments regarding the design of our refurbished doubled bedded, single occupancy rooms, which were designed with an open layout to allow the guest the optimum space available, however your comments are noted.

We do of course have many different room types and sizes available, perhaps one of our larger type rooms would be more suitable for you on a future visit.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I have been here a few times through work , and I must admit I like it...when you see it from the outside it looks quite bleak and impersonal, but the hotel is welcoming , the rooms clean and comfortable..a decent bar and a good breakfast

Dear Terry

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

It's always a pleasure to welcome back regular guests and I hope we have the opportunity of seeing you return again very soon.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Luckily I didn't have to pay the extortionate prices to stay at this hotel otherwise I would be requesting my money back
First the good bits
Lovely attentive bar staff and porters and that's it for the good bits. Trainee girl think name ana was lovely
Now the bad bits
1. The most important thing you need on conference and presenting in the morning is a good night's sleep. Well I didn't. Settling down to sleep snd could hear laughing squealing and shouting. Outside of my window was a smoking area with people at a business evening dinner outside. Despite 2 calls to reception and being reassured something would be done this was not resolved leaving me still awake until 1am. I was tempted to throw water over them. I consequently didn't wake up fresh. Hilton really needs to look at this and either move the smoking area or ban smoking completely. All rooms on that side of the hotel would not have the sleep they have paid for.
2. The drinks are way overpriced; this is beverages and alcohol. Cheap bottles of wine at over 200% mark up
3. Food not if a good standard for the price. Soggy potato and parsnip frittata. Poor leek and potato soup which I think was actually celery
4. There was no niceties at both check in or check out. I thought that I would have least been asked about my complaint on check out but nothing. Not even asking about my stay.
5. Bath looks tired with limescale stains
6. Corridors dark and dank looking
7. Charging for parking when you have stayed overnight is a cheek
All in all I will not recommend and not go back unless I had to for business.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 827Janty
Dear Reviewer

I was sorry to see you were disappointed with certain elements of your stay with us and we failed tomeet your expectations in certain areas. Your comments will be shared with the relevant management team for their review with the team.

Our Security team will always respond to any noise complaints and do their utmost to manage the situation, this can of course prove a little challenging when the hotel is particularly busy. I regret any disturbance you experienced as a result of the inconsiderate actions of others.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just back from a conference at this hotel and I have to say that it was excellent. Very well organised, food was brilliant, accommodation of a very high standard. It's a huge place and the lobby / bar area feels a bit like being in an airport with different places to sit, little shops and a costa coffee bar. Only here 1 night but would definitely stay here again on business or when going to the LG Arena.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for such a great review - it's a delight to know we met your expectations and that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Staffordshire, England
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel the night before a flight and left my car there for four nights. The package was good value for money and upon arrival the check-in staff were friendly and efficient. The Concierge re-parked my car for me (I am a disabled blue badge holder and had parked some distance from the hotel lobby) he was extremely helpful and friendly. The room was fine with the exception that there was no power socket near the mirror, so using the hairdryer was guesswork! I had a snack in the lounge, rather than eating in the restaurant and the food was acceptable, but pricey. There was a Costa Coffee shop in the lounge and I was served my coffee at my table, if I’d known it was going to cost me £4.20 for a regular I wouldn’t have bothered.

I would stay here again; the staff are friendly and efficient and the transport offered to the airport is, like everything else, efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

Glad to see you were impressed with the service you received from the team and in particular our Concierge team.

We hope we have the opportunity of seeing you return again in the near future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 118 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,302 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!