“Not really suitable for wheelchair users” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Antrim, United Kingdom
“Not really suitable for wheelchair users”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I was staying at the hotel for convenience to the Convention I was attending. I was in what they said was an accessible room, but I could not enter my room in my wheelchair without assistance. The layout of the hotel is also not good for wheelchair users. Breakfast was nice but again not suitable for wheelchair users as many items were out of reach and it was very difficult to manoeuvre past the tables and chairs. The staff were courteous and helpful and the room was very clean. But it definitely wasn't worth the cost, even at the discounted price I got my room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Anna-Margaret

Thank you for taking trhe time to share your experience following your recent visit to the hotel.

I regret that you found the accessible room you were allocated not entirely suitable for your use. At the beginning of 2005 we made a number of adjustments to the hotel in order to ensure we complied with the DDA legislation. The adjustments made were then assessed by an independent consultant who himself is disabled.
I would like to thank you for your feedback and would like to assure you that your observations and comments will be taken on board when re-designing these rooms.

Once again my sincere apologies for any inconvenience and disappointment caused and do hope that we may welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location if you need to consider train, plane or car travel. The rooms are good, always clean and feel modern. You get your normal facilities expected and there is a reasonable choice of what and where you eat. The gym is quite good for a hotel and there is plenty of parking. Staff always seem to be nice. I have used the hotel many times and my comments reflect across all of those stays. I would say this is one of the nicest Hilton's i hhave stayed at in the UK.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

It's great to see you enjoy your visits to the Hilton Birmingham Metropole and thank you for taking the time to share you experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Ballyclare, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Had a wonderful weekend two weeks ago staff friendly efficient and always available to help. Food first class standard whether in the bar or restaurant. Rooms clean and very comfortable. Will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Agnes

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

I am delighted that everything met with your expectations during your visit and good to know that you will return and see us again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Good for proximity to LG arena and NEC. Nice decor. Firm high bed. TV went a bit funny after I used it to wake up - alarm on TV. Fire alarm test went off after 7am with no warning which was unsettling. Food expensive as usual. Buffet breakfast was nice though. Had to wait ages for potato wedges due to a mix up. 24 hr lounge bar. All in all decent hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Debra

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us and I hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Hilton is always my brand of choice as they offer generous loyalty rewards. But some of the older hotels in the UK are starting to feel a bit tired, and this is one of them.

The hotel is massive, it has a huge car park, shop, gym and swimming pool, bar and several restaurant options as well as extensive conference facilities and an ATM. It is ideally located for the LG Arena, NEC, Birmingham International rail station and the airport - offering a complimentary shuttle service to the airport.
There is also a small executive lounge offering refreshments and nibbles.
There is also free WIFI.

The rooms are quite spacious and have iron and ironing boards, safes, work areas and seating.
But they are all a bit old fashioned in terms of decor and some of the fixtures and fittings are a bit tired.

The bar area is usually rammed with conference delegates so it can be hard to get served. I think it would be better if they used other areas for these events.

Service is polite and efficient.

Food is OK, nothing bad but nothing very exciting either.

I'd say that the hotel is fine. It does need updating and there are other more reasonably priced budget options in the area if you're just staying for gigs and concerts at the LG Arena. But for business it'd be ideal or for those who would make use of the pool which is very nice or the gym it's probably worth paying a bit more.
Personally I think it's cheeky to charge guests for parking so I'd suggest they review that policy.
Otherwise it's OK.
I've stayed there before and I'd stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Emma

Thank you for taking the trouble to share your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

It's great to hear that Hilton is your brand of choice, although I was disappointed that you felt the hotel was a little "tired". I am pleased to advise that we have just completed the refurbishment of our single occupancy rooms and are constantly updating the property to ensure our guests enjoy the best possible experience when they stay with us.

With regards to parking, as with most hotels in the area, we do operate a charging policy, however I can confirm that residents to receive a very generous discount.

Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I spent one night here at a conference. The room was very well appointed and I was lucky not to be far from reception. I object to having to pay for wi-fi as it is now free just about everywhere else if only for the first hour. The room was very hot after a very warm day. When I said that the air con didn't seem to working, I was told that it's not air con but just a fan. Not what I'd expect of a hotel of this calibre. The food was good and service efficient. I don't know if it was down to the conference sponsor but why did we have to stand up for lunch? There were no seats but a notice saying that the delegates did not have access to the lounge bar area which was enough to make you feel like a second class citizen.

Room Tip: Room 2104 is fine for a one night stay if the weather isn't too hot.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am pleased that you were impressed with your room and can confirm that all rooms have air conditioning and I apologise that you were misinformed in this regard. Our Maintenance team are always available to rectify any issues reported and regret this service was not offered to you.

I can advise that your particular event organiser would have specified this type of lunch arrangement with restrjuctions on access to the Lounge. We will of course pass on this feedback to the event organiser for their information.

Thank yiou again for your feedback and I hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I know its probably nothing to do with the hotel but come on Costa - talk about taking advantage of a captured audience!! £4.80 for a takeaway medium Latte!! Hotel staff were EXCELLENT - very friendly & obviously well trained & seemed genuinely happy in their role. The room didn't have any coffee sachets in it but am sure it was just an oversight by the maids.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Teresa

Thank you for your comments in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I was delighted that you found the service levels you received from our team to be excellent - thank you! We always aim to make everyone feel welcome and I shall pass on your kind comments.

I fully understand your views on pricing and how you might perceive these variances in what is in essence the same product albeit in a different location.

The decision to partner with Costa coffee within Hilton was to offer our guests both resident and non-resident an enhanced and we believe a superior product. Although our pricing structure differs when compared against the high street, we have passed on only a small increase to our customers to cover the costs of providing a branded product.

I firmly believe that as a hotel group we feature facilities that a regular venue cannot match. We offer complimentary newspapers, table service with a fully licensed bar. In addition, many visitors to our hotels utilise our lounge areas as suitable venues to conduct interviews, business meetings or to take time out to watch a major sporting event. We also benefit from larger venues where privacy is available without time limit or restriction.

Finally, I would like to apologise for the oversight that you did not have coffee provided in your room, we would of course have been more than happy to have rectified this issue , however yuor comments will be shared with the Executive Housekeeper.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#20 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,228 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!