“Exceptional service and great location for LG Arena”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Durham
“Exceptional service and great location for LG Arena”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

On arrival there was a very long queue but due to numerous check-in desks and extra staff mingling through the queue to welcome guests, offering complimentary fruit juice and reassurances, any delays were minimised.
The executive room was clean, quiet and spacious. Only negative was a badly cracked wash hand basin.
We ate in the bar which was extremely busy. Service again was exceptional with prompt delivery of our food which was well cooked.
Breakfast was served in a spacious and comfortable room. Despite being very busy, the hot buffet was constantly replenished and the high staffing levels ensured guests received good service and attention. The hotel is a short, well signposted walk from Birmingham International railway station and the LG Arena. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments and for your recommendation.

It's great to see that you were happy with the service levels you received during your stay. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (983)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I was with a convention here during the last few weeks in May, and I found it very pleasant. Check in was easy, and very quick, allowing me to dump my bags in my room, get washed up and head down to find my friends. I also did a quick tour of the hotel too. The lounge bar was a nice, central location that served as a hub for the Hotel, as well as being a good nightspot. Millers, the Hotel's exclusive bar was impressive, and had a nice view of the grounds.
The menu was extensive, and included daytime and nighttime options, as well as a 24 hour bar licence, which meant those of us who liked to burn the midnight oil could stay up til all hours, something that I wish my body could still do!
The only real downer for me was that the service in The Lounge bar was VERY slow. I don't know if this was due to the large amount of people staying at one time, but it did become bothersome at some points.
The rooms were fine, and plenty big enough for all my stuff, and my roommate's.
Checking out was easy too, although I did leave my jacket in the room after it had been cleaned, but a very kind gentleman of the concierge helped me locate it.
Overall, I had a wonderful time here, and I would love it if the Hotel staff would welcome us back next year!

Dear Hedge

It's great to see you had a wonderful time whilst staying at the hotel to attend a recent convention.

Apologies that due to large numbers in the Bar at this time, the service was slower than would normally be the case. This feedback has been shared with the relevant management.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope we see you again soon.

North Wales
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Great Hotel,very close to the LG Arena,about an 8 minute walk along a pleasant pathway. Very friendly helpfull staff,nothing seemed too much trouble,they even put tin foil over a plate of sandwhiches for us to take back to our room to eat later. Basic twin room with comfortable beds,tea and coffee facilities,hair drier,ironing board and iron,although there were two people sharing the room there was just one shower gel,shampoo and conditioner so good job we took our own. Wifi was chargeable and not many free TV chanels. Good gym,nice swimming pool etc.but no private changing cubicles,(probably my generation but don't like communal changing rooms). There were not enough staff to cover the bar after getting back from a concert. The bar was really busy as everyone arrived back at the same time and it looked as though there was only 4 staff,no one to take food orders and room service was an extra £5. Car parking is chargeable which I think is wrong,if you are paying to stay and you arrive by car you need somewhere to park and shouldn't be charged extra,although all hotels seem to be doing this now. All in all a very pleasant two nights stay and would certainly stay there again despite the expensive food and drink prices.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in relation to your recent visit to the hotel.

I was of course pleased to see that you were impressed with our friendly and helpful team here; we always aim to make everyone feel valued and welcome during their stay. Sorry the service in our Lounge was a little slow on this occasion, due to the large numbers and hope this did not detract too much from your overall enjoyment.

Although the hotel does have a parking charge policy, in line with many other hotels, we do of course offer a very generous discount to residents.

I can also advise that wifi is complimentary in all public areas of the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I attended the 4 day convention and also stayed the night before and after, and throughout, found the hotel staff to be very helpful, and I felt they coped admirably with our sizeable group. stayed in a twin room, and, as mentioned by others, it wasn't vast by any stretch of the imagination, but it served perfectly well, and I was also very pleased and impressed with the quality of cleaning/housekeeping.

I don't stay in hotels often, so I'm not in any position to judge on pricing, and so I shan't. The food was however very, very good at the bar and I felt I got what I paid for. My only minor gripes aside form waiting time (though this wasn't any more for me than I'd have expected given how many of us there were) was that on several occasions, I had food delivered with no cutlery/napkin. Also, a table numbering system might be an idea for staff to know where to take what food.

Breakfast-wise, I tend to prefer cereal, which seemed very flake-centric; a little more variety would have been nice, or maybe even a pot of porridge. the vast majority seemed to very much enjoy the cooked breakfasts though, and the staff, as ever, were very friendly and helpful, never minding refilling the tea :).

The staff at the bar however, for my experience, were generally polite and friendly, though I did seem to get overlooked a few times, but in general, and overall throughout the hotel, the staff seemed very welcoming and friendly (baring one seemingly quite unhappy and moody pool staff on the Tuesday).

Very much look forward to returning next year. With any luck I might vaguely remember the way around the maze of corridors.

Oh, one other minor thing that managed to slip my mind until now - though not anything that should affect 99% of people - the plug socket behind the centre dresser in 4054 is loose (I borrowed it to charge my phone over-night and still be able to reach it from bed in the morning. re-plugged the alarm clock the next day though.)

1 Thank realAdrian_Moore
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the hotel to attend a convention. I'm very pleased to see that overall you were happy with your stay and that you were particularly impressed with the service you received from our team.

Your comments regarding the socket have been passed to our Maintenance team - thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I went to a convention on the Birmingham Hilton Metropole and was an awesome place, the staff was very kind and attencious, the room was very clean and everything in the place, the bar and the community areas too. nothing to complain about the hotel it's really worthy to stay over.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Alexandre P
Dear Alexandre

Thank you for your review and I'm delighted you had such an enjoyable visit to the hotel. Your commentws will be shared with our team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was a little disappointed at this hotel for a few reasons.
The quality of the standard rooms is a bit shabby, my shower/bath would flood the floor (even when ensuring the curtain is inside the bath and pulled from one wall to the other) and the beds were hard and creaky so i did not sleep very well. other than that i was not informed that i would be staying in a smoking room and as a non-smoker the smell was rather unpleasant, leaving me with clothing which also smelt like old cigarettes.

my second issue was with the pool facilities, most of the lockers and hairdryers were of poor quality and didn't work, the floor was very slippy smooth tiles with no grip so i was terrified of falling over, i also felt that the (small) Jacuzzi wasn't very clean, it seemed to have no cleaning cycle whatsoever (as when the bubbles went off you could just turn them straight back on again) i enjoyed the sauna and the pool despite it being very shallow all round.

the staff was friendly and helpful when needed and i enjoyed the food. however i feel like i could stay in a 3-star Travelodge and get better comfort and quality for a cheaper price when it comes to the rooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments following your stay.

It was rather disappointing to read about your experience. Your experience does not truly reflect that standard of service that we aim to offer our guests at Hilton Birmingham Metropole. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and hope that we have the opportunity to restore your faith in us in the near future.

Bedlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Upon arriving at the hotel i was blown away, everything was wonderful. The hotel lobby is clean and the reception staff are extremely polite and helpful.
After checking in we put our bags in the room and "OW" I hit a snag or more precisely the edges of the bed frame! I whacked my hips off of these things about 10 times during my stay in this room and really hurt myself, i think this needs looking into as i have some rather unsightly bruises on my sides.
I was not the only one with this problem as i had a discussion with a friend of mine about it and they had done the very same.
The hotel staff are very friendly especially the housekeeping staff who say good morning to you every morning :)
Coming to the bar staff is where the trouble starts, some varied from polite to downright rude!
I was told very rudely by a member of the bar staff to "go sit down!" when i wanted to order my meal at the bar, so i went back to my seat and waited assuming i would be served at my seat. I was not.
Eventually i got up and managed to snag a young man to take my food ordered i handed him my money, no please no thank you, no nothing.
The chap who served my food was lovely and polite but they did forget about the pudding i had ordered, this was rectified almost instantly though as i asked about it.
queue times at the bar were a big variable, staff members would openly stare at you while chatting with another staff member while 5 other people waited for a drink in front of you.
Being a little tipsy most nights i would get back to the room have a WONDERFULLY hot shower or bath and then climb into bed never to wake until my alarm went off. The beds are pretty comfy though the pillows are a bit overly soft for my taste, but overall a good nights sleep was had every night!
One problem i did find was the water in my room hardly ever ran cold, the water was always luke warm, being rather tipsy most nights i like to have a drink before i go to bed.
No word of a lie i had to run the tap for at least 10 minutes to get it to run cold and even then it wasn't guaranteed.
Breakfast was also a big variable, sausages and bacon would be good one day and inedible the next.
The location is great, the hotel is located only a short walk from the NEC, it has a little corner shop and a few restaurants if you don't feel like purchasing food from the hotel. The hotel also has a small convenience store selling cigarettes, painkillers ect, which is pretty handy.
Overall this is a great hotel but has some minor problems, i wouldn't let this stop you from staying here :)

Dear Jessica

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was sorry you found some of iour team to be less than courteous and of course your feedback will be discuss with the team. Whilst the hotel was very busy during your stay that should in no way detract from the level of service you receive.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we see yu again in the near future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!