“Clean and good service”

Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Leerdam, The Netherlands
“Clean and good service”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed at the Hilton Metropole in 2014 with three other friends for a convention. We stayed in a family room, which had one double bed and a sofa bed. The name 'Hilton' has quite a reputation, so we expected a little more out of the room as far as the size of the room went, but it was clean and everything looked neat and as we would really only be sleeping there and maybe skipping upstairs a few times a day, this was no problem. Although the hotel was kind enough of let 4 adults stay in the family room, it is clear that the sofa bed was intended for children. The mattress is very thin and even I woke up in the middle of the night because the springs were hurting my side (and I only weight 53kg). The regular bed was heaven! We switched beds the last night and I slept like a baby. The bathroom, again, wasn't very big, but big enough and I liked the shower. When we realised there were only three towels, cups etc., we asked reception and they immediately sorted that out for us and made sure all four of us had towels and such. Breakfast was good, too, plenty of choice: cereals, buns, fruit, yoghurt, muesli, you name it. They have a swimming pool and I believe other facilities, but we didn't have time to use them so can't comment on that. The bar is great, it has some delicious snacks which - for a hotel - aren't expensive. Free WiFi, too (in/around the lounge)!
The NEC is within walking distance, but you can also use the free shuttle service they provide. You can grab something to eat/drink at the airport or NEC, if you don't want to spend the money at the Hilton.
All in all, I was very satisfied with our stay, especially since it gave us the freedom to attend the convention without having to worry about things we would need, as we could just run upstairs if we needed anything. The service was great and the staff were very friendly. Definitely going back next year, though I'll probably go for the double room so I can sleep in the comfy bed every night ;)

Room Tip: Never had any trouble with noise or any other problems. I do recommend not to book the family room i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Kelly

Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was pleased to see that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us whilst attending a Convention and that you also found our team to be friendly and helpful. We always aim to make our guests feel welcome.

I look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (983)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Stone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Booked for its convenient location to the LG arena, this hotel disappointed the moment we arrived. After a lengthy queue to check in i was told that the double room that i'd booked for me and my wife was for single occupancy only and they wanted to charge me double the amount we'd agreed despite a written confirmation via hotel scene showing double occupancy. A 20 minute debate ensued before we were finally given a (adapted for disabled use) double room. Not a good start. The spa facilities were acceptable but the changing rooms were not particularly clean, neither was the roof above the pool. We decided to take an evening meal in the restaurant and opted for the £21 a head buffet. This again can only be described as adequate and we were left standing waiting for food for 10 minutes because someone had allowed all of the vegetables to run out. Eventually they were replenished and we had the meal. Nothing special but ok. We ordered two large glasses of wine and were astounded to find upon leaving that we'd been charged virtually £20 for two glasses of lukewarm, mediocre supermarket wine. We had no choice but to pay up and were asked to pay for the meal also, which we did. To add insult to injury, a 10% service charge had been added to the total without my consent despite the fact that the service was minimal by the very nature of a buffet. I had this removed. The following day, upon checking out i was charged for the meal and drinks a second time and yet another debate ensued in which it was insisted that i hadn't paid. It was only me finding the restaurant receipt that proved me correct and the bill was adjusted. I'd never stay there again. Convenient - yes. Failing in many ways - yes.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
1 Thank Chris B
Dear Chris

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with certain elements of your visit.

Our management team is reviewing your comments to ensure they are used to improve our guest's experience in future.

Once again my apologies for any disappointment caused on this occasion.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

So I spend a large number of nights per month at this hotel. It is what it is, a large corporate hotel, on a contrived business complex. If you can see through that its actually quite good.

The staff are great, never had any bad experiences. Room quality varies quite a lot but the exec rooms are considerably better than standard. Breakfast is OK with lots of choice.

My main criticism of the place is that the gym is too small and often too crowded as its full of non guests using it. I can understand the commercial reasons for this but when your entertainment for the evening is exercise and you can't its a touch annoying.

Parking can be a challenge when busy. Prices without a discount are hefty but then again you are captive there. As I say it is what it is, but all in all it's a decent place to spend a night or two.

Room Tip: Exec rooms ideally.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

It's great to see that you are happy with the service you receive from our team when you stay with us.

Our gym is very popular with both our guests and LivingWell members and it can at times get quite busy, which I appreciate can be a little annoying.

I hope we remain your hotel of choice when visiting the area and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed in an executive room which was clean and comfortable, It's worth the upgrade from the guest rooms if only for access to the executive lounge, my partner was there for the games expo whilst I was there only for a break from the house but found the lounge offered comfortable seating areas with free breakfast, snacks and softdrinks, tea/coffee all day, free alcohol was served from 6 - 8 and at the prices they charge at the bar was well worth the upgrade, £9.70 per large glass of wine! The swimming pool area looked lovely but I was put off from taking a swim because it is very open to people from within the hotel and didn't fancy people watching from the bar areas of the hotel, service was friendly and any questions answered politely, the only gripe I have is the cleaning staff knocking on our room door twice on the day of departure looking to clean it for the next customers, checkout time it 12pm and I think I should have been left i peace until that time and not asked if I was leaving soon at 9.30 and 10.30 am.

Room Tip: upgrade to executive its worth the extra cost if you plan to eat or drink there
1 Thank loopdo
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for providing your review in relation to your visit to the hotel.

Our Executive upgrade is very good value for money and many guests choose to do this when they stay with us.

Our pool is one of the largest hotel pools in the UK and a great place to relax and unwind.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by the Housekeeping team and your feedback will be shared with the Executive Housekeeper for review with her team.

I hope we have the opportunity of seeing you return again soon.

Merthyr
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed one night on Thursday May 29th rather a long line to check in but every possible check in window was open, hotel offered good value for money however I have to comment on a couple of things, I had to drive around the car park for 20 minutes to find a place and the charge of £9 to park is to high and should be free to hotel guests, I asked for and got a non-smoking room but the pillow "stank" of cigarette smoke and as I didn't get back to the room till past midnight I didn't complain but I mentioned this at check out and as a gesture they refunded the £9 car park charge.

Room Tip: Don't use Costa Coffee very expensive
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear John

Thank you for for sharing your experience following your recent stay with us.

When the hotel is busy the car park can fill quite quickly and i regret you struggled to find a vacant space.

I can advise that your pillow would indeed have been replaced if you had reported the issue, but I'm glad that you were offered a discount as a gesture by our Front Office team.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we see you return in the near future.

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Have stayed at other hotels when going to this venue but Hilton is definitely the best. Very busy as going to a concert but extra staff were on check out, our room was perfect and we booked the buffet which was also very good quality food and definitely value for money. The express check out is a great system and will be booking to stay here again when we go to see Bryan Adams later in the year. Breakfast is also great by the way!!

Dear Jonshe

Thank you for your great review.

Glad to see you had another enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed your dining experiences too.

We look forward to welcoming you back later in the year.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

What can I say, for the fact you have to join a 40 person queue for breakfast just to then get into another huge queue for hot food.
The warm Milk with breakfast, the constant running out of juice or any and all other condiments.
Worst thing was (we stayed 2 nights), is during the 2nd night two of us (out of a party of 4) came down with awful food poisoning (caused 'probably' by the awful breakfast), we were exhibitors for a exhibition there so couldnt leave until 6pm on the Sunday, due to the illness two of us had to stay In the room taking it in turns using the "facilities", so when pointed out to the staff we needed the room longer, were they helpful?, no they just demanded more money for a late checkout (even thou their food had 'probably' caused the illness) and they wee not fully booked and didn't need the room.
The wifi: the wifi is free in public areas, but they don't tell you that excludes the areas where the public actually are! (I.e. the event rooms)
The convention being held there was unusual and the expressions and demeanor of most the staff was condescending and elitist, considering the event payed the hotel 10's of 000's of pounds its just wrong for the staff to behave this way,

In conclusion, most staff are condescending, the management only care about money and the food will 'probably' poison you.

Premier inns and travel lodges i find more personal, more helpful, with better facilities and nicer staff.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments.

When the hotel is busy, as it clearly was during your stay, we would always recommend either an early or late breakfast for those who wish a more leisurely experience.

We do of course replenish depleted items as quickly as possible and regret any delay you experienced whilst waiting for fresh food to be brought from the kitchen.

I was of course sorry to learn of your illness during your stay and can confirm that Hilton has a very robust food safety regime in place and any food contamination report is taken extremely seriously and thoroughly investigated. It's unclear from your review whether this matter was brought to our attention during your visit, as we would most certainly have instigated our normal procedures. We would of course be happy to discuss this issue with you further and perhaps you would care to contact Caroline Hagan on 0121 780 6300.

I was very surprised you felt our team were anything less than polite, courteous and friendly but your comments have been noted and shared with the management team and regret any disappointment in this regard.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!