“Concierge could do better!”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Wiltshire
“Concierge could do better!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is very convenient and very good value for the airport in comparison to some. Booking ini was smooth, efficient and effective.

Room was ok, carpet stained, and wonderful view (not) over a vast expanse of flat roof. The balustrade looked decidedly dodgy too!

Very few TV channels.

I did not have time to sample all the facilities.

Room Service was quick but I have eaten better fried fish at a motorway services!

Checking out at 06:00 was somewhat less than efficient and effective.

Adam the concierge looked as though he had slept in his clothes and not bothered to wash. He took an age to process my bill, although his manner was pleasant enough.

As you never get a second chance to make a first impression (and the final one is what you leave with) perhaps Adam needs some "coaching" on the importance of appearance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank CamilleWiltshire
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Whilst I am pleased that you were generally satisfied with your stay, I regret you were were disappointed with certain elements. Your comments have been noted and will be reviewed.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope we have the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel at some point in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (974)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Essex
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Spent two nights at this hotel whilst attending a conference. Check in was fine, I was attended to by a trainee but she was clearly being trained well and was very nice. I was disappointed to find myself in a twin room which meant I had to sleep in a single bed. Also the TV was quite old and so had no description of what was on each channel, and the picture was dreadful especially when you're used to HD!

I find it absurd that in the 21st century they feel they can justify charging £14.99 for 24 hours' wifi access. And that's for only one device so if you want to use your laptop and your iPad that's £30 on your bill. Money grabbing which leaves a bad taste. My advice would be to ensure you have plenty of data left if you have 3G, and take an ethernet cable for your laptop!

On my first morning I woke up with the warning signs of a migraine so I called reception to ask if they could send painkillers up to my room (I usually take them with me when I travel but had forgotten this time). The receptionist, rightly to be fair, said that wasn't possible so I asked if I could buy any. She said that I would have to go to the airport which was 10 minutes' walk away. Clearly I wasn't up to that so I had to miss the whole of the morning's events whilst I tried to clear the migraine. Luckily at lunchtime I managed to get some from one of the conference organisers, but it didn't clear until early evening so I missed the whole day. It was only on my second morning that I discovered there is actually a small shop within the hotel - indeed within eyeshot of the reception desk - which sells ibuprofen. Deeply unimpressed that the receptionist either didn't know this, or chose not to tell me and instead was prepared to send a paying guest on a trek to the airport whilst unwell.

Staff seem to be either lovely or not lovely. The lady who was cleaning the rooms was very cheerful, and the concierge was helpful. However I didn't appreciate being told "go to the back tables first" by the catering staff at lunchtime.

Very disappointing overall. I certainly wouldn't choose to go back, but if I have to (as the conference may be held at the same venue next year) at least I'll be prepared.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EssexAndProud
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear EssexandProud

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay and would apologise for the poor TV reception you had. This issue is currently being attended to.

Whilst wifi is chargeable in the bedrooms, it is complimetnary in all public areas, which many fo our guests take advantage of.

I regret you were not advised of the onsite gift shop and will of course bring this matter to the attention of our Front Office Manager.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We attended a conference at the hotel and enjoyed our stay. The down side were the expensive drinks nearly £5 for a small bottle if beer or cider. Our room looked out in a wall due to the strange shape of the building but we would stay again. The pool, sauna and steam room were excellent.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear BigBrian

Thank you for your review and I'm delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and also enjoyed your visit to our leisure centre - a great place to unwind after a stressful day.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yeovil, Somerset
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We have stayed here a number of times because we stay over if seeing something at the NEC. The location is ideal, there is parking (although we have to pay £9 for our one night stay), when you can get a space!. The breakfast is very good.

However, on our last stay, 3 weeks ago, when we got there and wet to our room to make a much needed cuppa (having had a 3 hour drive), one of the mugs was cracked from top to bottom, we managed to find a housekeeper outside so she swapped the mug for us. Then, after the show, we went back to our room to use the glasses, and one of the glasses was cracked from top to bottom. Also, one of the light bulbs was not working but we could not be bothered at this stage to report it. When showering, although I put the shower curtain in to the bath, by bad design, water runs down the wall, along the tap end of he bath, down the side of the bath and floods the bathroom floor, so much so I had to use our 2 bath towels to soak it up. NOT what you expect from such a highly rated chain of hotels. I wrote to the hotel manager about all of the above . . . . . they have not had the courtesy to grace me with a response! Disappointing, I wonder if The Hilton will lose customers to the new hotel being built opposite?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Miss Moneypenny

Thank you for your feedback.

I was surprised to learn that you have received no response to your letter; we usually respond very quickly, however I apologise for the delay in this instance.

It is regrettable that the mug and glass was flawed and required replacing, which we are of course happy to do, but this should have been spotted by our Housekeeping team. This feedback will be shared with our Executive Housekeeper.

Your comments regarding the shower have also been forwarded to our Chief Engineer for his review and I do hope this did not detract from your enjoyement on this occasion.

We hope to see you return again in the near future.

North West
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Would have given excellent for this review, but person on check in let it down. Booked using my Hilton Honors points for this stay. Very easy to complete booking. Visited for 1 night with my husband following a day at the Gardeners World Exhibition.
Did not have to wait long at check in. Offered an upgrade for a £25 to a junior suite. Pleased with this as the original booking was for a twin room. Again process was smooth. Given parking exit ticket (£9) on arrival, which obviously saves time in you are in a hurry to leave. I do think its a bit cheeky charging for parking, but knew there would be on fee on booking. Throughout the check in the male receptionist appeared more interested in what was going on behind us. There was limited eye contact and not the usual polite questions that are normally asked.
The room was clean, spacious, bed very comfortable, but no fridge/mini bar. There was a large television in both the lounge area and bedroom. The view from the windows was over the car park, but in the distance you could see some countryside. Was good that you could open the windows which led onto a small balcony. I'm not sure that it was for standing on, but gave the a feeling of more space. When the windows were open you could hear traffic in the distance, which I presume came from the motorway. Lovely dressing gown and slippers were on the bed.
Although there was no ice machine on our floor, room service provided this on request and was delivered promptly.
We had the opportunity to visit the executive lounge. In the evening it was busy, but the staff were attentive and made sure that the nibbles and drinks were kept stocked. The bar was open till 8pm.Spring rolls and cheese board were really good. The lounge overlooked a lake.
Had a good nights sleep and breakfast in the executive lounge. This time the lounge was very quiet. The breakfast is not the full range of food you would get in the restaurant, but there is plenty of hot and cold choice for our taste. The nice thing about the lounge is that you don't feel rushed. It was the first time in ages that I read the newspaper from front to back in one session, which was relaxing. Staff in lounge both evening and morning were very good.
Check out was smooth. The male receptionist (a different one from check in) was so, competent, friendly and provided information about our on going journey. He appeared interested in us and what I believe was excellent customer service.
Would definitely stay at this hotel again and this time use the pool which looked lovely. Just make us feel a bit more welcomed when we arrive

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms available for an upgrade. It made our stay more special for just a little ext...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarahanne08
Dear Sarahanne

Thank you for taking the trouble to share your experience following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was of course very pleased to see that overall you had a most enjoyable stay with us but do regret we failed to meet your expectations regarding your check-in experience. Your comments will be shared with the Front Office Manager to ensure improvements are brought about to improvement service levels in this area.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you return soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I attended the ACA conference this year and was very impressed with both the facilities and organisation of the Hilton.My room was lovely and comfortable, and all the staff without exception were friendly, approachable and helpful, would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as a venue for future conferences,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dea5r Harry

Thank you for your review and your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Birmingham Metropole in the near future.

stirling
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My first time staying at a Hilton hotel and it couldn't have gone better. I was here with my niece for a convention staying 3 nights. We were checked in quickly and made our way to our room on the second floor. Very impressed with the room, lots of space, towels, shampoo, conditioner etc provided. Tea and coffee available. We were happy customers. Our room was cleaned every day and the towels etc replaced.
As we were in an executive room we had breakfast in the executive lounge and I have no complaints there either. Lovely selection of cooked breakfast, cereals and fruits to choose from and no queues which was nice for us as we'd done lots of queuing over the weekend for convention stuff.
Staff were always friendly and said hello when they passed. We had such a good time we'd be more than happy to stay again. Thank you Hilton.

Room Tip: Choose and executive room they're bigger and you get to use the executive lounge.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Fiona

It's great to see that you had such a fantastic stay with us recently. Our Executive upgrade is very popular with many guests and I'm glad to see you enjoyed the whole experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#24 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!