“Convention weekend”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here for 3 weekend nights for a large convention held in the hotel. The place was jammed with thousands of attendees for most of the time, but the staff did very well to cope. The breakfast queue was almost 50 yards long (so I chose to miss the cholesterol enhanced fry up) but the staff provided buffet fast food during the day for those at the convention... choice of hot meals, sandwiches etc., at reasonable prices. They even gave us a cheaper price for the lager.

A very enjoyable stay so I hope to return next year.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Georgethebear

Thank you for leaving your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to see that you had an enjoyable visit to the ahotel and were pleased with the levels of service you received,.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I spent eight days at the Hilton for a conference. The staff were fantastic. Nothing we asked for was too much hassle. My room was fine (though colleagues did have issues with week long stays in the executive singles which are really designed for overnight stays).Everything that I needed was there including an iron and ironing board and hair dryer.

Drinks in the bar are expensive and the coffee shop is too but ample coffee was provided during the conference (including caffeine free options) and there are drinks making facilities in the rooms..

Room Tip: Avoid the singles if possible and some colleagues over rooms that were used for balls had a few nois...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Karen

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I was pleased to see that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us and were particularly impressed with the service levels you received from the team.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I was very disappointed with the service at this Hilton hotel. As a gold member, I expect the same standard of good service and courtesy from staff like I usually experience from other hilton hotels, but my one night stay there was of an appauling standard and the staff behaved like they couldn't care less. They put me in a very small oddly shaped standard room behind a very noisy common area because there weren't any executive rooms available. This means they denied me access to the executive lounge. I was disappointed that they did not allow me access to the executive lounge, that is the least they could have done. Overall it felt like a 2* budget hotel experience not a Hilton gold member experience.

When I complained to the receptionist during checkout, he told me that the guest relationship manager was going to email me which he or she never did. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Fadi

Thank you for your comments in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I am sorry that we were unable to offer the usual complimentary upgrade on this occasion due to high occupancy levels. As you will be aware upgrades are offered when availability permits and I regret any disappointment this caused you.

Our Guest Relations Managers are are always happy to listen to any guest concerns and perhaps you would care to contact caroline.hagan@hilton.com to provide further details.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will accept my apologies for failing to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

In the past, Hilton was seen to be at the top end of the market and charged accordingly. Nowadays they are no better than most mid-range hotel chains but still charge top rates, which is a bit of a liberty. I have no doubt that Hilton feel that at the NEC they have a captive market and seem determined to maximise the opportunity to overcharge accordingly.

The room I had comes in at the £90 - £100 price range and at that price it is way overpriced. The small room is of the cabin-style design of the cheaper hotel chains but with better fixtures and fittings. The fact remains however that it is a very small room for the money. By necessity the wardrobe is no more the 6 inches in depth, so would only hold a few shirts - so would not cater for a long stay, and I guess the assumption here is that visitors to the NEC are likely to be of short duration.

As previously mentioned by other reviewers, the toilet and shower area are actually a part of the main room, which is simply not nice. I'm sure my wife loves me very much, but I'm not sure she would be particularly keen on seeing me doing my business on the toilet while she was reading her book! I'm also pretty sure that passing guests would not like to see me should the door be opened while I was "in situ", because the toilet would be in full view of the corridor. In the interests of decency, not to mention hygiene, is it too much to expect a door to allow some privacy whilst on the crapper? Certainly at circa £100 per night it should be.

The rest of the hotel is fine without being spectacular and my only complaint is re prices, which reflect my previous comment about fleecing a captive market. Almost £5 for a pint of average lager, and the same for an orange juice and lemonade is way over-priced; the food is OK without being particularly special and the service is equally average.

The main positive of this hotel us that it is an ideal location if you're at the NEC, and I would suggest that it is OK for a short stay of no more than two days. Any more than that, or if you were visiting the Birmingham area as a whole, you would be far better getting a hotel in the city centre. You would certainly get better value; a bigger room; and a toilet door!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank johnhouston2

Dear John

Thank you for leaving your comments.

Our single occupancy doubled bed rooms have been re-designed to allow optimum space for the guest, hence the open plan layout. These rooms have proved very popular indeed with many of our guests, however your comments are noted.

I can advise that our prices are in line with other 4 star establishments and are regulary monitored to ensure we remain competitive within the marketplace.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here in June after attending the Dolly Parton concert at the LG arena. The only good thing about the hotel is that it right next door to the arena. The rest was extremely poor. Had to wait 30 minutes at the bar to get served after the concert the staff seemed confused and had no idea what they were doing, i.e. serving one drink and then had to wait for the second drink for 25 minutes - not what I would call a smooth operation. The following morning a member of staff knock on the door and then entered our room before we could get to the door and we were still in our birthday suits - this is NOT acceptable. Despite writing to the hotel to complain and receiving several e-mails that they would respond in 3 working days - WE ARE STILL WAITING - COME ON HILTON YOU HAVE NOT GAINED YOUR REPUTATION THROUGH BEHAVIOUR LIKE THIS!!!

Room Tip: Too large a hotel to cope with the demand
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments.

I am sorry you did not receive our usual timely response to the concerns you raised. I will ensure this matter is followed up.

I regret you experienced slow service at the Lounge Bar when you returned from the concert. This feedback will be shared with the Lounge Manager for his review with the team. Clearly the team were a little overstretched on this occasion which resulted in slower than normal service.

Our Housekeeping team should knock twice and announce themselves prior to entering a guest room and I am very sorry this did not happen on this occasion. Our Executive Housekeeper will re-emphasise this point with the team.

I do hope that despite these issues we can welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here for business, room was awful, open plan with toilet and useless shower going straight on to bedroom area. Food and beverages way overpriced for the quality served, whole place looks very dated and bar staff didn't seem able to cope with demand

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Matt E

Dear Matt

I was disappointed to see that you were unhappy qwith your recent stay with us.

Our re-designed single occupancy double bedded rooms have an open plan layout to afford maximum space for the guest. We have received very positive feedback regarding these particular rooms, however your comments are noted.

Perhaps I could recommend one of our larger type rooms on a future visit, I am sure you will find these more suitable for your requirements.

I do regret any delay you experienced in the Bar due to heavy demand at the time of your stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and i hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip but arrived late at night and did not have time to make use of the facilities. I arrived via the free courtesy transfer minibus from birmingham international rail station. I was greeted by friendly staff and was informed i was upgraded to a junior suite free of charge which was nice news.

I got to my room and was overall impressed. It was nice and clean as you would expect and very spacious. Some of the fixtures and fittings are looking a bit tired and the tv reception was average but did not phase me.

Breakfast was great and plenty of selection. Take up the summer savers currently offered they are worth it!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael D

Dear Michael

Thank yiou for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to see that you were impressed with the complimentary upgrade to a suite and note your comnments regarding the TV reception.

Glad to see you enjoyed your breakfast experience and we do have an amazing selection to meet most tastes.

I hope we see you return again.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#25 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!