“Horror Night at the Hilton”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Returned from a fabulous Cyprus holiday early hours of this morning and stayed overnight at the Hilton Metropole Birmingham, as part of a park and fly holiday package. It has to be the worst hotel experience of my life. The mattress on the bed was so hard I could not sleep on it, even though I tried a number of ways to cushion my body from the plank-like firmness. Eventually, I gave up trying and slept in the armchair with my feet supported on a suitcase - not what I had envisaged when I made the booking!!. To add to my discomfort, there was a function just ending when I arrived (2:00am) and from 2:00am until I eventually managed to get to sleep (4:30am-ish), there were room doors slamming and raucous noise caused by guests who gave no thought to those of us who were trying to sleep. No such problem occurred in our Cyprus hotel which had "soft-close" hinges fitted. Also, a footlight feature (which switches itself off automatically after every bathroom visit), was malfunctioning and continued to switch itself on and off - giving a neon light effect to the bedroom and emitting a loud clicking noise every time it did so. Suffice to say, I will NEVER use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Elaine

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in relation to your visit to the hotel.

I am sorry you found the mattress a little too firm for your particular liking and regret any discomfort you experienced.

I was also concerned to learn that you had been disturbed by the inconsiderate actions of other guests returning to their rooms. As I am sure you will appreciate, we do not have control over the behaviour of our guests, however our Security team will always respond to any reported disturbance if they we are made aware. Nevrtheless, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and disturbance you suffered.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope you will reconsider visiting us again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This is a very big, very busy hotel but it is well organised and in a good location right near the NEC and Airport. We used the valet parking, which worked well. Our room had a lovely view over the lake. It was nice, but a bit tired but represented good value for the price paid. We ate at the Boulevard which was not cheap but the food was tasty and the service from Dasha and Katie was excellent. Afterwards we had drinks in the Lounge. Once again the service from Abbie and Karolina was friendly and caring. It says something very positive that in such a busy hotel we experienced consistently superb service from great staff. Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bathpair

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent visit to the hotel.

We are indeed a large hotel but we do like to offer a warm welcome to our guests and make everyone feel valued. Thank you again for your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here immediately after staying at Liverpool Hilton. Much nicer hotel, reception at check in very helpful. I had been stuck in traffic and was exhausted, Christopher was very helpful and knowledgeable about the hotel.
The entrance is light and welcoming with a lovely smell of lavender permeating the air very soothing. My room on the fifth floor had a view of the lake and a Juliette balcony, very nice as it was a hot day.
As at Liverpool surprised you have to pay for wifi unless you are a hhons member. Parking charged at £9 a night but it is conveniently outside the hotel, unlike Liverpool, you need to pay for your parking at reception not via machine.
Breakfast nice choice. I found scrambled egg bland though. Having to queue for check out is not what you expect at a Hilton.
Room clean although the paint was peeling on the ceiling. Air con available. Very near NEC about 20 mins from city centre in a car.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank weekenderEngland

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments.

I'm delighted you were impressed with the service you received from our team and glad you were happy with your room and view.

Although you enjoyed your breakfast experience, your comments regarding the scrambled egg are noted and have been shared with the Executive Chef.

Our Front Office team endeavour to check guests in and out as quickly and efficiently as possible, however if there are a large number of people to deal with, queries from guests can unfortunately result in a slight delay. I apologise for any inconenience you were caused.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel although our Executive Room was not fantastic. Bathroom far from immaculate and ineffectual air conditioning which made a lot of clattering noises but didn't cool the room
Breakfast was okay but at best luke warm food
Executive Lounge was acceptable although the choices were limited compared to previous visits
Would probably not visit again

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear David

I was sorry to see you were disappointed with certain aspects of your visit on this occasion and regret we failed to meet your expectations.

I hope you will accept my apolgies for the shortcvomings you experienced during this stay and I hope you reconsider visiting us again in the future and allow us the opportunity to demonstrate our usual standards of service.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed here overnight for a work conference. The hotel and tech staff were extremely attentive to our meal requirements (approx. 220 delegates) and conference needs the next day. The food was brilliant and the bedrooms were sizeable and modern.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jessica

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to see that you had an enjoyable visit and that the service you received met your expectations and was as you would expect.

I was glad to see you enjoyed your dining experiences too.

We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

i stayed there during a business trip. The hotel was very clean the breakfast rich and also has a costa cofee inside. The swimming pool is amazing and i highly recomend to relax there a few hours. The Nec is at walking distance

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review following your recent stay with us.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and I'm delighted you found time to relax around the pool.

We look forward to seeing you return in the near future.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed here as a Diamond VIP and received texts in advance inviting me to a Summer barbecue and offering me assistance in helping to make my stay enjoyable. I used the Hiltonhonors check in at reception as there was a huge queue and was welcomed back warmly. The upgraded room was fine. The lounge is a little small compared to many I have been in and when the drinks and canapés came out, some people had to stand. I was surprised to see one of the female lounge staff members with visible tattoos (what is Hilton policy on this?). The hotel is within walking distance to the station so I left my car in the hotel car park for the day while attending a meeting in Birmingham city centre. All in all a pleasant stay as usual

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear John

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your visit to the hotel.

I'm delighted to see that you received a warm welcome when you returned to stay with us and I hope you enjoyed the Summer BBQ we held for our VIP guests.

Although Our Executive Lounge is limited in terms of space compared to others, we do like to feel we offer the same efficient service but acknowledge that at times this facility can be very busy.

It is hotel policy that all visible tattoos should be covered and I shall of course reinforce this point with the management to review with their teams.

Thank you again for your feedback and i hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again shortly.

Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#29 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!