“Very good overall” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Örebro, Sweden
“Very good overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Nice and clean, comfortable beds (a bit on the harder side which is great for me) and great location close to the NEC and the station and airport. Wonderful breakfast buffet. Free internet access in the reception and bar is good, but if you want access in your room it's ridiculously expensive, which is disappointing for a business and event hotel like this.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Cesar C, Front Office Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Anna L

Thanks for your recent review of our hotel

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. The location of our property is ideal for the purposes you outlined and we offer a wide range of services for you to enjoy. We do charge for our high-speed internet in our bedrooms but offer a complementary Wi-Fi service in our public areas. Our Hilton breakfasts are fantastic and a great way to start the day, your comments will be passed over to our Food & Beverage Manager.

Thank you once more for your fantastic feedback, I hope to be able to welcome you back to the property in the near future.

Front of House Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gloucester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

My friend and I recently stayed at this hotel as part of a spa deal. The offer was amazing; executive room, afternoon tea, dinner with a bottle of wine, a 1 hour spa treatment, breakfast the next day and full access to the health club facilities for £120pp, purchased through last minute. We arrived around 2pm and although check in wasn't until 3pm we were allowed access to the executive lounge. However, when we went to check in at 3 we were told our room wasn't ready and to come back in half an hour. At 4pm the room still wasn't ready. The receptionist in the executive lounge was very helpful and moved us to another room. For an executive room, I wasn't massively impressed. I've stayed in other Hilton hotels with larger standard rooms and in better shape. Half of the lights in our room did not work and the wallpaper needed to be redone. At dinner, although the staff were friendly we had to wait 30 mins for our complimentary bottle of wine as none of the staff knew anything about the package we had paid for. We had a similar problem at afternoon tea. It seemed like a battle to get everything we were entitled to as the only staff who knew anything about the package were the receptionists. The spa treatment was amazing and the staff in the Ocean Room Spa, especially Nikita, were so helpful and efficient. For anybody who plans on booking this package, the 'health club facilities' do not include the gym. Overall, it was an adequate stay but I wouldn't rush back anytime soon for a spa break.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear MeggyD42,

I regret to hear of your below par experience with us. We pride ourselves on providing a great level of service to our guests and I would like to apologise on this occasion if there was a shortfall in this service.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the Ocean Room Spa & Executive Lounge staff, I have passed over your comments to the relevant departmental managers.
Regarding the maintenance issues in your room, your comments have been brought to the attention of our chief engineer for his review.

Derby, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I wouldn't normally stay at a Hilton but when we came away from this break, we signed up for the Hilton Honours card and will definitely stay again. We wanted a weekend away from everything, doing nothing and that is what we got. We upgraded to exec room, which is really worth it as you get access to the exec lounge at this hotel, which includes free breakfast, free tea and coffee all day, afternoon tea and drinks & canapés in the evening. You can actually fill up on the canapés so you don't need dinner, as we found (unintentionally). The room was spacious and relaxing with a comfy bed and view out across the building site that is the area next to the airport. Swimming pool and sauna area is clean and well kept.
Only bad points were that we couldn't get the wifi to work (could have asked someone but didn't really need to connect on) and there were only a handful of channels on the TV in the room. Why haven't Hilton kept up with this? Most houses have hundreds of channels full of rubbish but Hilton just have the 6 or 7 channels of nothing!
Will definitely go back for another weekend away.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Bisho,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed a nice relaxing your stay with us, and felt that the upgrade was great value for money. Our executive lounge is a fantastic perk that you receive with our executive rooms, and is a great place to work, relax & dine. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by you not being to access the internet throughout your stay, and that you felt our selection of TV channels to be inadequate. This feedback is very important to us and will ensure that we can improve in the future.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the not too distant future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We've stayed at this Hotel twice now and us and used the shuttle bus on both occasions but the last time we arrived back in UK not only were the courtesy phones not working but neither was the shuttle bus.After getting a taxi from Birmingham Airport to the Hilton I was told the phone had'nt been working all night and the courtesy bus was off the road for servicing.For a hotel that has the name of the Hilton I found the whole experience a mess and will not be using said hotel in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tony S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I was sorry to learn of the issues you encountered when trying to contact the hotel. After receiving this information I asked our telecommunications manager to look into this issue as a matter of urgency. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by our courtesy vehicle not operating at the time of your arrival. I can advise that we now have a fantastic new courtesy bus that runs on the hour and every half an hour, plus shorter intervals during the night.

I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again, and if I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Front of House Manager

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

untied kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Check in was very efficient and nice friendly reception team our room was on the fourth floor overlooking the lake room was very clean and comfortable .
We could see the planes landing at BHX but there was no noise there was water in the room a nice touch.
We took our evening meal in the buffet restaurant all you can eat for one price this was a mistake service was poor had to keep asking for butter and cutlery and slow to clear the used plates also none of the food was labeled we had to open every hot plate to see what was underneath also no labels on the deserts or cold options.
We had a good night sleep and breakfast next morning was in the same restaurant has dinner what a difference from the breakfast staff it was busy they were very organised and our waitress was debbie who was great good breakfast experience .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear ward3,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I was sorry to learn of the service issues throughout dinner, please let me assure you this is not indicative to our usual high levels of service. Although it is unclear from your review as to whether you had reported these issues, I can assure you that they would have been attended to immediately; nevertheless I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced.

On a more positive note I would like to thank you for your kind words concerning the efficient check in process and room allocation as well as your breakfast service. We have passed your comments to the relevant departmental heads.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

What lovely staff, nothing was too much trouble - I had a minor problem with the air conditioning at 21.00 and within 5 minutes I had an engineer come out to look at it and adjust it to work more efficiently. I left a message asking the chambermaid to leave the curtains closed when she left to keep the sun out which she did. The hotel was completely full but all the staff maintained their composure at all times. Breakfast was a feast as was the buffet dinner each evening in The Boulevard restaurant, again nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I booked in and out in record time and there were five receptionists helping to keep the flow of visitors moving.The whole hotel and particularly the communal areas were immaculately clean and very well kept. Only minor complaint was the price of a glass of wine which at £9.40 was a bit steep!! I use this hotel every year and have found that it goes from strength to strength. All in all a very enjoyable experience, one which I intend to repeat.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you require, the booking staff are very obliging and will do what they can to help...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Brookie707,

I was so pleased to see that you had such a fantastic stay with us. Its lovely to recieve such glowing refrences of how obliging our staff are & how good the food was. I have passed your comments over to all departmental managers

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Just downright lazy, the sheet on the bed didn't cover the whole mattress. Yes I know, I couldn't believe it. There was ~30cm gap between the end of the sheet and the end of the bed! I was expected to sleep directly on top of the mattress. Not the standard I would expect from a Hilton.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Cesar C, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear OWhite100,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I was saddened to hear of your dissatisfaction regarding the linen in your bedroom, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I have spoken personally with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure further incidents of this nature do not take place.

I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention upon your departure; I do hope that you feel that your concerns were taken seriously and that our Front of House Manager dealt with your issues accordingly.

I look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future. If you require any further assistance then please contact the hotel directly prior to making your reservation.

Celine Cooper
Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#21 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,221 reviews
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!