“A Let Down”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 15 February 2009

Chose to stay at the Hilton Metropole as I was attending an event at the NEC and wanted the convenience. I paid in excess of £100 for a one night stay and was disappointed to say the least. My room was very small with a single bed that squeaked every time I moved making sleep rather difficult. Also not good was that my room was stuck at the end of a corridor and near to the elevator which I could hear quite clearly.

Check in / out was very efficient though and no problems with the service overall. Reasonable room service menu though having ordered a couple of bottles of beer with my meal they were delivered with the tops still on securely and no bottle opener in sight - good job I carry one on my keyring!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank SparkintheDark
Write a ReviewReviews (5,509)

Reviewed 9 February 2009

Stayed here for business, the single beds are tiny so suggest you pay extra if you can for a larger bed.

My main area of distaste was with the food served at lunchtime and in the evening.
The burgers are over cooked and very dry. The lunch menu served for our business event, not the restaurant menu, was disgusting, poorly seasoned and weird!!!
The pizza I ordered was the most unpalletable piece of food I have ever tasted.

The hotel is clean and all the staff are helpful.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2009

Booked this for a conference on the basis that they'd spent £20 million on a refurb - pity no-one included my room. A tiny single room, dust on the carpets & someone else's old contact lens.

The hotel 'boasts' a choice of restaurants, but in January there was only one open & all it served was an 'international buffet'. What a vile selection of food. If it wasn't soggy & swimming in liquid then it was a dried out piece of meat which looked as if it had been sitting in the same spot all day. & good job I wasn't a vegetarian becuase I would have been eating salad.
The exciting part were the wonderful looking deserts - but the appearances were deceptive. All this for £30+ a head.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 January 2009

My wife and I recently spent 2 nights at this fantastic Hotel over the New Year period. We stayed in a spacious executive room, which was modern and comfortable - this also included access to the executive lounge with complimetary bar. Entertainment at the Gala Ball was provided by a superb live group, the food was excellent and staff were plentiful and attentive. We found the leisure facilities to be comprehensive - gym, pool, jacuzzi etc and had a thoroughly relaxing time. The Hotel is close to both Birmingham Airport & the NEC with a complimentary shuttle service to the Air/Rail link. We used the train to go shopping in the city centre - fast, clean & cheap! - sadly my wife spent all the savings.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Warhol250
Reviewed 7 January 2009

From our arrival we experienced great customer service. We needed a hotel to stop at on our way up to Scotland and wanted somewhere that wasn't far from the M6 where we (mom, dad, kid) could stay with our dog. I booked a "family room" online and was pleasantly surprised to see how spacious it was. A regular bed plus a pull out couch/bed which was perfect for our son. The room was spotless.

Breakfast buffet was included in our room price and there was a good variety of food. We didn't swim but the indoor pool looked very inviting and filled with light.

We have never stayed in a hotel with our dog before. But it worked out fine. Around the hotel there are extensive sidewalks which made the morning "walkies" easy - plus bins for trash.

Overall, I found the Hilton excellent value, convenient and it more than surpassed my expectations.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Very unhappy with my stay at the hotel. Was charged twice for the room and still looking at getting this resolved.

My details were somehow totally incorrect upon checking in, wrong address and room rates on my booking. The staff did not know how this had happened and insisted everything was ok. Upon checking out i was asked for my card details again even though i had already paid in advance and my card had already been debited. I was assured by the reception staff that this was procedure and that my account would not be debited but then as expected i did end up getting charged twice for a completely different amount so i am assuming my details were mixed up with someone elses and i got charged for it twice.

The reception staff did really not have a clue what had gone on with my booking. Trying to sort out a refund has been a load of hassle too and i have had to explain things to numerous people and fax off documents. Hopefully the refund will arrive in due course but i aint too optimistic.

Overall very dissappointing from a so called top brand and hotel. Not worth the hassle at all, will give the Hilton a complete miss in the future. The staff didnt seem to have any knowledge. Spa was attrocious more of a little paddling pool to be honest, the jets were very weak and kept switching off.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrBCardiff
Reviewed 3 January 2009

From the convenient courtesy pick up at Birmingham International to the very polite and helpful reception received on arrival, our stay at Metropole Birmingham was excellent. Received an upgrade to executive floor with access to executive lounge which was very nice. The rooms were first class with very comfy beds and no noise. No complimentary water, slippers or bathrobe though which was unusual for Hilton executive floor. The food in restaurant was delicious though expensive. Overall, an excellent stay and recommended if you opt for or are upgraded to executive room.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#34 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!