“what a [---] hole”

Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
west midlands
“what a [---] hole”
Reviewed 6 April 2009

This hotel was very poor in room quality as pics show this was supposed to be a queen deluxe !!!!! god knows what the guest rooms are like !!!! This hotel is handy for staying near the nec but i would not recommend this hotel at all , i was very surprised as being hilton i thought it has to be good it isnt ! you also had to pay for internet and parking and the decor was terrible .i am a down to earth girl not a snob have only stayed in a couple of hotels before but i would say this hotels rooms are on a scale with blackpool b&b. Dont book it !!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shellloveshols

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2009

we booked the Hilton through lastminute.com for £59 twin 1 night. After reading previous reviews we were a bit dubious but I think most bad reviews were for the single rooms. We had a twin room which had good facilities,It was very clean & well decorated.It wasnt a big room but it did for a nights stay. Its right next door to the NEC & the car parking is £7 for 24hrs. We were on a budget so we chose the hotel food with caution & used the Bistro pub,fish & chips £13pp. The food was very nice & well portioned so no compalints there. I had a pint of larger which was about £4 not bad for a 4* hotel. We did however get carried away & started to order more drinks I went onto shorts & the mrs had large class of wine. The total for 2 rum & cokes, 1 larger & 3 wines was appx £48 so check the prices beore you buy.There is also a 10% service charge on top.To sum it up it was a good hotel with good food k & service but it is a 4* with 4* prices.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank No-Abode
Southern Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2009

I stayed here whilst working at an exhibition at the NEC, so the location was perfect for me. I was pleased with my room, which had clearly been refurbished fairly recently, however it was difficult to control the temperature in the room which led to a sleepless night. Looking at the shower, I thought I was going to be in for a blast, but alas, it was completely lacking in power.

The hotel is huge and with this in mind, I was pleasantly surprised with the level of service when checking in and also at breakfast. Service was on the slow side in the Gastro restaurant, but the food was of good quality. Breakfast was excellent and satisfied all levels of taste and needs in my large and fairly fussy group of colleagues.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Londonderry
Reviewed 10 March 2009

The staff at reception were friendly when I checked in but I found that later in the day when I had a question I couldn't understand a word the person was saying and when I asked him to repeat it he wasn't any clearer.

There was a very nice young lady in the bar who was helpful and when I told her about the reception she said that this happens a lot.

She was the only nice, friendly member of staff I met. When we came back from the show at the NEC and went to the bar I felt as if I was in the way! Not a very nice person and as a result got no tip.

Overall a nice hotel but staff need some training in customer services.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
belfast
Reviewed 10 March 2009

I went into tripadviser to check a different hotel and just being pure nosey i went into the hilton metropole as we were staying here that weekend i couldnt believe all the bad reviews as i had stayed there 3 times previous, As a travel agent i would be slightly fussy on my accommodation and the Hilton Metropole again did not let me down we stayed with them as we were attending Crufts and could not fault the hotel from the moment we checked in we were greeted by a very friendly helpful member of staff his name was Daniel and could not do enough for us their check in time is 3pm and we had arrived on a early flight expecting just for the hotel to store our bags but there was a room ready and we were told we could checkin straight away he also mentioned if it was not to our liking we could come back at 1pm as he would have alot more rooms available. As it turned out the room was fine clean and comfortable we ate in the bar one of the nights we stayed and food was great as was the service all in all a great stay so my advise would be not to go by all reviews you read. I will be going back to Crufts next year and will be staying at the hilton.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I booked a 'King Kilton Suite' as a surprise for my g/f when we went to a concert at the NEC.

When we arrived we were initially very surprised at the size of the room - massive lounge and seperate bedroom. However, it doesn't look like the hotel has been redocrated in a number of years - the decor is very old fashioned (some may like this of course!), and pretty basic. This trend follows through all of the areas of the hotel we saw, including one of the conference room which was used as overspill for the breakfast rush - I would hate to think of being stuck in this room for a work event!

We ate in the 'Gastro Pub' in the hotel. The service was slow even though there seemed to be enough staff around. The food was actually pretty good and reasonable - I think it was £14 for 2 courses.

There is parking at the hotel, but you have to pay seperately for this - something we weren't aware of when booking.

The hotel is in a great location for the NEC and Birmingham Internation Airport, and it is because of this that I don't believe the Hilton chain will easily spend the significant amount of money required to modernise this hotel - it was very busy when we were there. Shame really when you consider the potential!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Marlow, England
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Stayed in a recently refurbished double room which had all the usual Hilton facilities although £15 extra charge for internet connection I thought a little steep. Didn't find the room small as per earlier reviews and reception staff were helpful if rather overworked (had to queue to check in). Evening event for several hundred people was typical conference fare - chicken main course (I think!) but conference room got very hot towards the end of the event - increased air conditioning is required!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#22 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!