“Ideal for the Airport & Station”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
scotland - troon
“Ideal for the Airport & Station”
Reviewed 6 July 2010

This is a huge conference and meeting hotel in a lovely setting. Don’t be fooled it is a way out of Birmingham and actually nearer to Solihull. Although it is busy, because of the rural setting it actually feels quite tranquil; the views from most of the windows are of parkland and a lake that was actually being fished on Sunday morning.

I arrived at Birmingham airport and got a cab to the hotel, only a few minutes away, schoolboy error as I didn’t know there was a free courtesy bus, (note to self take more notice of the posts on TA). I checked in at the Exec lounge on the 5th floor, very quick and efficient, and was given a lovely exec room, clean & bright with plenty of space. It also had a window that opened wide enough to get some air in so I didn’t need to use the air con. The bathroom was clean and spacious with a separate shower beautiful big towels and all the toiletries that you would expect from a Hilton. I actually forgot my toothbrush, when I requested one a dental kit was brought straight up to me. I slept very well with none of the disturbance one would expect from a very big busy hotel.

I had a couple of drinks in the bar, usual Hilton prices, although I didn’t eat the bar food looked very good. The service in the bar was friendly and discreet.

Before breakfast which I took in the Exec lounge I had a swim. The pool is huge and very well maintained. Although there were children’s swimming lessons happening there was still a part of the pool sectioned off for lane swimming. The breakfast in the lounge was very good with the usual array of fruit, yoghurts cold meat etc, there was also hot eggs, bacon, sausages and mushrooms.

One small niggle I had to keep going up and down to reception as my door key never worked, I advised the receptionist that there must be a problem with it, she apologised and said it would be looked into. There was also some drinks charged to my bill before I had even checked in, that was rectified immediately.

I was in the area to visit family so I didn’t spend too much time in the hotel but the time I did spend was very enjoyable

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review on this website in relation to the your recent visit to the HIlton Birmingham Metropole.

We were pleased to read that you had enjoyed your time with us and had taken full advantage of the Executive Lounge and LivingWell Club.

We wre also pleased that you found the location quite tranquil and hopefully led to a more relaxing stay.

We regret you experienced a problem with your keycard during your stay and do hope this was not too much of an inconvenience.

We do hope we have the opportunikty of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Executive Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (983)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
South West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2010

If you want a quiet evening, especially on a Sunday, this is the hotel. After work, the fitness club is great, very inviting.
I had a small single room which was adequate. It had been redecorated quite recently & the fixtures were up to date. I could not work the shower & someone was there to help within 5 minutes.
Breakfast was good, with a wide choice.
The complimentary shuttle bus service to the airport & station is very handy.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your visit to the hotel on this website.

We were pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us recently and had the opportunity to utilise our LivingWell Club, this is quite an attraction for most guests.

We are delighted that you were impressed with the breakfast offering and took advantage of our complimentary courtesy bus.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

U.K
Reviewed 3 July 2010

A very relaxing environment. Superb service. Polite, curtious and conscienscious staff.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving your review of our hotel on this website, following your recent stay with us.

We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and found the service you received from our staff to be efficient and friendly.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I have just returned from this hotel following 2 nights here for a work conference. Personally I would not choose to stay here but its not the worst place I have ever stayed!

I checked in at 10pm, and went straight to the bar to meet colleagues. Be aware that these are the worst bar prices I have ever seen in the UK and I have stayed on Park Lane, London. A pack of crisps was £2, and a spirit with mixer was approx £6-£7. At about 11:30pm I left the bar and went to my room.

I was disappointed to find I had been checked into a smoking room as when I asked the receptionist on check in for a non smoking she said yes. I called reception and was advised to go down. I went down and was told they were full and I could not be moved. I asked to be moved to another hotel as the room was too smokey for me. After 5 mins of waiting I was told by the night porter that a non smoking room had been found. He told me to ignore the sign on the bedroom door that said 'smoking' as his manager had informed him these rooms were no longer used for smoking. I happily went with the porter to my new non smoking room to discover it smelt of smoke, and had an ash tray in it. It was clearly still a smoking room, and the manager had clearly lied. It did not smell as bad, and it was getting late so I stayed in this room. I was very annoyed though as I was lied to.

The room was very cheap. The furnishings at Travel Inn's are far superior. There were 2 small cheap beds, similar to cheap IKEA beds with matching cheap desk and furnishings. There were several cigarette burns on the carpet and the mini bars have been removed.

It was a hot night but there are no windows in the bedroom, just a patio sliding door HOWEVER I did not wish to sleep with this open as the person from the next room could easily come across my balcony, into my room. As a female traveling alone I felt unsafe leaving the door open. Instead I was left to sweat on the hot evening. There is also no additional lock on the bedroom door, just a single door lock. I always prefer an additional lock/chain. The beds were small, with thin mattresses and were very uncomfortable. I struggle to find anything positive about my bedroom. I suppose the toiletries are OK, and the safe worked. There is also a nice steam iron in your room.

Breakfast was much better. For a hotel this size they do seem to have breakfast well organized. There were no queues, even at peak times, and we were quickly seated with tea and coffee brought to the table. All the food was well stocked with plenty of choice. Both mornings were faultless.

Check out was great, no queues, my bill was correct, and it was very quick.

Be aware that this hotel often has large functions on due to its unique size. On the Tuesday night there was a party and some of colleagues did not get to sleep until gone midnight due to the noise from the disco traveling straight up the building.

Its a great location for the Birmingham NEC and the airport, both are next door but if I were paying my own bill I would go elsewhere. Its very expensive, due to its size you lose the personal touch and the room felt very cheap (2*) for the price paid (4*).

On a separate note: MEETINGS - We were here for a 2 day meeting. The meeting room was great for our requirements, the staff were very attentive, and the buffet lunches were fabulous

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on this website with regard to your recent stay at the hotel.

We do regret the confusion you experieneced in relation to your preferred room type. We would advise that whilst the hotel does have a small number of smoking rooms available, these will be phased out by the year end and will be refurbished at that time.

We were pleased to note that you found your breakfast enjoyable and the banqueting food you also impressed by.

With regard to your comment concerning prices, this hotel provides service and standards to a generally recognised four star level. As such, the prices charged throughout the hotel, do reflect this standard and are in keeping with other similar establishments in the country. They also reflect the enormous investment that has gone into the property to provide the standard of facilities that our regular business clients have become accustomed to.

We do hope we may welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Swansea
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I really enjoy staying at this hotel for it's position, everything you cater for is close to hand which is what you require when you are away from home. From checking in you feel looked after and this is felt throughout the entire visit, especially at breakfast, the staff are always accomodating and make you feel welocome. All of the above are the reason I keep on coming back to this hotel compared to the others that are close at hand and the price the Hilton offers is exceptional.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the hotel.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you particularly enjoyed the breakfast offering and that yhou found our staff welcoming and attentive.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Somerset
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I arrived on a motorcycle, not the most common mode of transport experienced by the hotel. When approaching the reception desk I was made to feel welcome and not treated as a courier. (A common experience in hotels). The receptionist directed me to the porters desk where I was provided with helpful instruction on where to park my motorcycle safely. My gear was looked after and I could enjoy the conference I attended without worry. Throughout my stay the staff were helful. The food was of a high standard especialy the standard of food provided at the conference meetings. I found the room comfortable and well appointed. Although I realise the hotel is there to serve the NEC the view out of my window was not pleasant, consisting of roof and central heating ducts.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Chester
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I was fortunate to have stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights in March this year. The staff couldn't have been more helpfully, especially the reception staff.
The room was immaculately clean and spacious as well as being tastefully decorated. Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to use the spa facilities, much to my regret after having seen what was on offer.

Just hope my organisation again has it's conference at the Birmingham Hilton next year

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!