“Beware if booking hotel/car park package for holidays” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #70 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Swansea, Wales
“Beware if booking hotel/car park package for holidays”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

First impressions of this hotel were not what I would have expected from a Hilton hotel. We had booked one night's stay including parking for one week for the sole purpose of catching an early morning flight at Birmingham Int'l the following morning, and having a space for our car for the duration. We arrived to find no parking spaces available. Guests for a large function were gathering in the foyer which I assume was the reason for the lack of parking. I spoke with the receptionist who immediately pointed out to me that the package I had booked did not guarantee a parking space. This was not true and none of the paperwork I had specified that this was the case - we would not have booked it if it was. The best she could offer was to try to see if the barrier was still up at the NEC and if so to use that. When I asked whether I could leave the car there for the week as arranged (and without charge), she did not exactly fill me with confidence and I had visions of us returning to a significant bill from NEC. She then suggested that we move the car in the morning over to the Hilton car park (if there was a space). Not so easy when you are catching a 6:30am flight, particularly as she had no idea whether a) the NEC car park would be open, or b) whether Hilton would have a space. This whole situation was resolved by another member of staff who could be bothered to help us, and opened up a small area at the front of the building which did have one or two spaces available. Without this I really have no idea what we would have done with our car for the duration of our holiday. Very very poor, and certainly not the relaxed start to our holiday that we had planned. I particularly objected to the 'whatever' attitude displayed by the receptionist. I would never book this hotel for the same purpose again. The last thing I want at the start of a holiday is this kind of problem.

After the parking debacle things did improve. My fiancee and I enjoyed a lovely meal in one of the restaurants and the service was excellent. The room was clean, comfortable and well furnished. In fact the remainder of our stay fulfilled the expectations I'd had beforehand.

I would absolutely not book another room/parking package here despite the recovery in service etc later on. It's just too much of a risk. I see that Hilton review these comments and so will make a suggestion. If you cannot guarantee parking for customers who pay for a week upfront, then do not advertise it and take people's money. Another simple solution would be to review those arriving each day who have pre-booked parking, and reserve spaces for them.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on this website, following your recent visit to the hotel.

I do regret the confusion you experienced with regards to parking your car. On your day of arrival, the hotel was particularly busy and the car park was full to capacity. However, I am pleased to note that we were able tgo find a suitable space for you to park your car. In cases such as these, we would of course always endeavour to make suitable arrangements for our guests on hotel and park packages.

Your comments and observations will be discussed with our Front Office Manager with a view to improving levels of service.

Although initially disappointed with the level of service you received, I was pleased to learn that you and your fiancee enjoyed our restaurant facilities and the remainder of your stay was pleasureable.

Once again my sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced and do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Executive Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

Only one complaint! We were charged for using the Hotel car park!

We stayed in the hotel for the convenience of being so close to the NEC and then had a good 10 minute walk to get to our exhibition. If we had realised this we would have taken the car and parked for free nearer the exhibition halls.

You have no choice but to take the parking ticket on the way in. I think this is very poor. There is no advantage to exhibition users who are not staying in the hotel to use the car park due to the distance, therefore it is only the hotel guests who are penalised. This did blight an otherwise excellent hotel, great food and very friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2010
Dear Guest

We were pleased to note that you found your stay with us enjoyable. The hotel does operate a car park charging policy and full details are found on our website. Naturally, residents do receive a preferential rate for parking.

We do hope we may welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We have used this hotel several times on trips to the National Exhibition Centre of the LG Arena which are both within a very short walking distance. It is a large and busy hotel but very well run and, as individual travellers, we did not feel in any way inferior to the large number of conference delegates.

The staff are always excellent and they are just as good as they were in the late 90s when I used to stay at this hotel for business conferences. Mind you, we generally find that service is good in Hilton hotels that we have stayed at.

For something special book an Execuitve Room and you get access to the Executive Lounge with free drinks and snacks with a peaceful place to relax.

There is a good leisure club and we always enjoy the pool area and steam room etc.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving your review of the hotel on this website, following your stay with us.

We were delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel recently and that you still found the service provided to be excellent.

We were also pleased that you enjoyed our Executive Lounge facility and took advantage of the fabuluous LivingWell Leisure Club.

We look forwarding to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
crowland, lincolnshire, uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

Here for a conference. Car parks full staff very unhelpful setting new, low standards in this area. After a few minutes hotel's fire alarm started. Not the hotel's fault - there was a schools' kitchen supplies exhibition with burners in the main hall - but the first thing to evaporate was the hotel staff. Conference break out rooms not equipped as requested. Not a roaring success.

• Stayed June 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent visit to the hotel on this website.

We were sorry to learn that you found the car park full when you arrived at the hotel. Although we have over 700 car parking spaces, once these are exhausted we do make alternative arrangements with the NEC for guests to park on an adjacent facility, and this facility was available on the day of your visit.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result of the fire alarm being activated. Naturally, the safety of our guests and employees is paramount and we can advise that the evacuation was handled in accordance with Fire Regulations and witnessed by the Chief Fire Officer. Although you may not have been aware of staff presence, we can reassure you that the safe evacuation of all guests remains a priority.

Regarding your function rooms not being equipped as requested, we noticed that you were a speaker at the event and therefore have contacted the main organiser to investigate this further.

We do hope you will return to the hotel at some point in the future.

Executive Management

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

scotland - troon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

This is a huge conference and meeting hotel in a lovely setting. Don’t be fooled it is a way out of Birmingham and actually nearer to Solihull. Although it is busy, because of the rural setting it actually feels quite tranquil; the views from most of the windows are of parkland and a lake that was actually being fished on Sunday morning.

I arrived at Birmingham airport and got a cab to the hotel, only a few minutes away, schoolboy error as I didn’t know there was a free courtesy bus, (note to self take more notice of the posts on TA). I checked in at the Exec lounge on the 5th floor, very quick and efficient, and was given a lovely exec room, clean & bright with plenty of space. It also had a window that opened wide enough to get some air in so I didn’t need to use the air con. The bathroom was clean and spacious with a separate shower beautiful big towels and all the toiletries that you would expect from a Hilton. I actually forgot my toothbrush, when I requested one a dental kit was brought straight up to me. I slept very well with none of the disturbance one would expect from a very big busy hotel.

I had a couple of drinks in the bar, usual Hilton prices, although I didn’t eat the bar food looked very good. The service in the bar was friendly and discreet.

Before breakfast which I took in the Exec lounge I had a swim. The pool is huge and very well maintained. Although there were children’s swimming lessons happening there was still a part of the pool sectioned off for lane swimming. The breakfast in the lounge was very good with the usual array of fruit, yoghurts cold meat etc, there was also hot eggs, bacon, sausages and mushrooms.

One small niggle I had to keep going up and down to reception as my door key never worked, I advised the receptionist that there must be a problem with it, she apologised and said it would be looked into. There was also some drinks charged to my bill before I had even checked in, that was rectified immediately.

I was in the area to visit family so I didn’t spend too much time in the hotel but the time I did spend was very enjoyable

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review on this website in relation to the your recent visit to the HIlton Birmingham Metropole.

We were pleased to read that you had enjoyed your time with us and had taken full advantage of the Executive Lounge and LivingWell Club.

We wre also pleased that you found the location quite tranquil and hopefully led to a more relaxing stay.

We regret you experienced a problem with your keycard during your stay and do hope this was not too much of an inconvenience.

We do hope we have the opportunikty of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

South West England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

If you want a quiet evening, especially on a Sunday, this is the hotel. After work, the fitness club is great, very inviting.
I had a small single room which was adequate. It had been redecorated quite recently & the fixtures were up to date. I could not work the shower & someone was there to help within 5 minutes.
Breakfast was good, with a wide choice.
The complimentary shuttle bus service to the airport & station is very handy.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your visit to the hotel on this website.

We were pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us recently and had the opportunity to utilise our LivingWell Club, this is quite an attraction for most guests.

We are delighted that you were impressed with the breakfast offering and took advantage of our complimentary courtesy bus.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards.

U.K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

A very relaxing environment. Superb service. Polite, curtious and conscienscious staff.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving your review of our hotel on this website, following your recent stay with us.

We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and found the service you received from our staff to be efficient and friendly.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards.

Executive Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#19 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,227 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!