“Very enjoyable stay”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #72 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We enjoyed the convenience, ambience and informality of the hotel. The food was excellent. We loved the way that one can enjoy the facilities of the hotel without being bothered by anyone. The car parking was very convenient and the proximity to the NEC was great.

On the negative side, it was annoying to see that the accommodation rates for some upcoming concerts were far lower than we had paid for our visit to the craft exhibition at the NEC. Also, the checkin procedure was a nigntmare. The queues were so large that it took took nearly 30 minutes to book in. Having said that, the check in staff were very friendly and professional.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank pbirch16
ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2010

Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback via this website, following your recent visit to the hotel.

We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and were particularly impressed with the food served.

Our room rates do of course fluctuate throughout the year and of course our special offers are also available at certain times which are advertised throughout the press and on-line.

We do regret the delay you experienced at check-in but appreciate that you found our staff both friendly and professional.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Executive Management

Write a ReviewReviews (5,558)

Reviewed 20 August 2010

We got a great deal on this hotel: Two rooms (twin and double) with 5 days parking for £99, and free airport transfer. Now that was a great deal but we knew the food and drink would be expensive so brought our own, which saved a bomb. The internet connection was good too.
The staff were very polite and even offered to take our cases up when we arrived around midnight. The shuttle was wonderful and the driver very helpful. The only problem we had was knowing what to do on return to Birmingham airport. I didn't seem to have details so wandered around looking for the courtesy buses. Eventually we discovered we had to take the train shuttle to NEC then call from the yellow phone upstairs before going down to the coach stop, which all worked well once we knew what to do.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank pandora205

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review on this website, following your recent visit to the hotel.

We are pleased that you found your recent stay with us a pleasurable experience and that you were impressed with the value for money deal that you had secured.

We were also pleased to learn that you were able to take advantage of our courtesy bus service and found our driver more than helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the near future.

Reviewed 19 August 2010

DOWNSIDE - Let's get the negatives over with first. Highly expensive drinks and coffees in the bar (£2.50 for a tonic water and a staggering £3.60 for a plain Americana at the Costa bar in the Foyer (my husband calls it Costa Lotta) but quite frankly that is only to be expected at an airport hotel. The other thing was that there seemed to be only hot water coming out of my tap in the bathroom, which didn't make brushing teeth much fun.
UPSIDES - When I went to pay for the car park ticket the next day, the guy on the desk immediately refunded my £7 when I told him about the hot water and was very apologetic and said that if I had told him he would have had someone up there immediately to sort it out.
Admittedly I purchased my room online in the January Sale at just £29.50 for a single with breakfast, so felt I had a good deal beforehand and don't know if I'd feel the same paying full price (although there seemed to be some cracking deals even AFTER the Hilton January Sale finished), but when I arrived I was upgraded by an extremely friendly receptionist gentleman to a double (as were all my 20 friends) and we all found them to be extremely comfortable rooms, with a very good mattress (for a hotel bed), and a nice bathroom. I turned my air conditioning fan off for sleeping, altered the temperature a bit and had the best night's sleep I've had in any hotel EVER. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and very well maintained, the style of decor was ok...not my taste, but IT'S A HOTEL
Breakfast was excellent and having had a late night, we appreciated the 11am cut off and all rolled in about 10am. The vast selection of food from the buffet was very good and and the hot food was very nicely cooked. The staff bringing us coffee and tea were friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
The swimming pool, steam room and sauna were excellent and again the staff were friendly. We didn't try the gym.
Checkout was 12midday, so no rush to get rid of us and when I arrived the day before at 1pm to leave my bag with the concierge and shoot off on the courtesy bus to Brum International Rail Station, I was able to check in early, which was a real bonus.
I think that August is a quiet time, so maybe we had the best of everything that the hotel has to offer and the the staff had time to be friendly, but we really had a comfortable stay. For a huge 'impersonal' hotel, I was really impressed.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gillypops1

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on this website, following your recent visit to the hotel.

We were delighted to learn that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us and were pleased that you were impressed with our LivingWell facilities and seemed to appreciate the late breakfast serving available.

We would naturally have been more than happy to allocate an alternative room or rectify the situation with the hot water, had the matter been brought to our attention at the time. However, we are pleased that we were able to offer free parking by way of apology.

We do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2010

Perfect location with ample parking. The reception is welcoming and the staff pre-empt your needs, which really impressed me (for example, pre-authorising my car park exit ticket, so i didn't need to remember during check-out). There is a seperate coffee shop in the lobby which is really convenient. A good choice of restuarants (formal or relaxed) and the service was great. I chose a pudding which i didn't like and the staff had no hesitation in offering to change it for me for something else - nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank brienze
ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2010

Dear Guest

We were delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our staff welcoming and more than willing to assist with your requests.

We were also pleased that you were impressed with our choice of restaurants.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 6 August 2010

I have sadly had to stay at this hotel twice this year and it has managed to annoy me both times. The check-on staff are polite enough and check you in. I don't know weather it's the management or just lines of communication but something isn't getting through. The company that I work for use this hotel ALOT and as such have corporate rates and invoice facilities in place to pay for room, parking breakfast and evening meals.
Arrive at hotel and attempt to check in, starts well! Get told I have a room, parking and breakfast booked. I try to tell say that evening meals are included and you would think that I was trying to steal one of the hotels ott chandeliers.
The checking staff would not accept company I'd, confirmation emails, not a thing!!!

This has happened on several occasions to other members of my company and is consistent, I'm 2 for 2.

At the end of the day it's all coming out of the same budget and I know that when booked these Instructions are clarified at booking by HR. (saves me having to claim expenses and or HR phoning hotel to sort this out)

Second thing this is just very very bad service - ordered food on the very overpriced restaurant Millers. I ordered a pork TENDERLOIN and received an ESCALOPE! When I questioned the waiter that I ordered tenderloin he said to me in broken English 'yesp that tenderloin' now I've eaten in real restaurants and normally what happens if something is off the menu your informed and asked to re order not just fobbed off with 'make do'

Needless to say my company is withdrawing from this slack hotel and will be using a superior one from now on!

Yay they listen to me ( unlike the staff at this hotel)

Regards

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review regarding your recent visit to the hotel on this website.

Clearly, we were disappointed to learn that you had experienced problems at check-in with regards to billing details. Your comments will of course be forwarded to the relevant departmental manager for their attention and would ask you to accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused as a result.

We were also sorry to learn that you were less than impressed with the service you received in Miller's. Again, your comments will be forwarded to our Restaurant Manager for his attention.

We will certainly endeavour to improve upon those elements you have described. We always set out to achieve the highest possible standards of service and I would ask you to accept our apologies that you found that we did not fulfill your expectations on this occasion.

We hope you will reconsider and return to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2010

Had to be in the NEC for work. Hotel was overbooked apparently, so i got a room in the annex. Awful small rooms. Colleagues had rooms in the main building and those were good rooms. Breakfast is ok and so is THE sports centre (apart from a very slippery floor). Service was good in the sports centre. Quite poor service at reception (queuing at the Hilton honors desk was min15 min longer wait. Food in bistro is definitely not recommended.
All in all not a nice stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to leave your comments on this website regarding your recent visit to the hotel.

We were concerned to learn that you were disappointed with the room were you allocated upon arrival. Naturally, the hotel has differing room types and sizes and regret you were unable to occupy one of our larger rooms on this occasion.

Whilst we were pleased to read your comments regarding our LivingWell facility and your breakfast experience, were concerned that you were less than satisfied with our Bistro. We usually receive very high praise and positive feedback regarding this outlet, however we do have other food outlets throughout the hotel which may suit your particular taste.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 26 July 2010

We arrived at the hotel around 5pm, check in was very busy, but as Hilton Honours Diamond members, we went to the Honours check in queue, which was empty, quite correctly, when we approached the desk the receptionist advised a guest from the long queue who thought we were pushing in that we were Hilton Honours members and had priority.
We are also entitled to a space available upgrade, although we were advised that no executive doubles were available, we could have had an executive twin but settled for a standard double, which although a little small, was adequate for our needs and was also nice and clean.
Again as Diamond members, we are granted access to the Executive lounge, where there is an open bar for a couple of hours in the evening as well as canapés and snacks. We went up to the executive lounge but did not stay long as there were quite a few families with small children. The children were running around playing, screaming and using the internet stations to play games. The children were also pawing and touching the food .We went back to our room and ordered some room service as after a busy day on the road, the kids just got us down.
I did mention this on a comment card and did get a letter from the hotel, saying that they would look into my comments. I hope they do.
Breakfast was very busy but fodd quality was good

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

We were surprised to read your comments regarding children in our Executive Lounge. We note from your details that you last visited the hotel in the early part of the year. I can advise that since your last visit the hotel has reviewed its policy and now has age restrictions in place, which should ensure maximum enjoyment of the Executive Lounge facility for all guests.

I was pleased to note that you had an enjoyable breakfast experience.

I do hope we may welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Executive Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#35 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!