“Good little spot”
Review of Gas Street Basin

Gas Street Basin
Ranked #12 of 293 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Once a thriving port, this area where several canals meet offers colorful canal boats, bars, cafes and restaurants.
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The basin is a good look into the history of Birmingham. The buildings are rustic and the water provides a good backdrop.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I've visited this area on and off for years and years. When I worked in the City it was a favourite spot to visit in my lunch hour. When my grandchildren were small I used to make this one of our places to visit. I've taken all ages, even over 80's and they enjoyed seeing the sights with a trip on a canal barge too. I would appreciate a visit every week if I could spare the time.

1  Thank Gina A
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Busy and bustling, lots of narrow boats.
Pubs etc
You can pick up water taxi and boat trips from here

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Pleasant enough to walk around in the day but on weekend evenings gets noisy and this disturbs the tranquility too much....

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Walking along by the canal, especially on a slightly misty day, makes me think about the people who used to use this canal basin for work. It's easy to imagine them unloading their cargo, talking to people on the tow path, and hurrying to get away on another trip with a different cargo.
Today, of course, the boats are pretty much all for leisure - private boats, hire boats, trip boats - but they are still colourful and fun to watch!
This is part of a cut-through from The Mailbox to Brindley Place - very handy and very relaxing.