“Awful”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My parter and I purchased a meal at this restaurant from an online daily deal site. I have to say that pretty much everything about my experience at Viet An was laughable. The moment that we walked in everything justs seemed wrong. The decor was awful, there were no other customers and It was freezing.

My partner and I were seated dead cenre of the large empty restaurant. When we mentioned that it was a little chilly we were brought three fan heaters which were placed on three sides of our table and blew hot air at us while we waited. Our food started to come, as did other customers, all couples who had also purchased the deal. As each couple walked through the door we could see the look of shock that must have been apparent on our faces as we had arrived. As for the food, let's just say that I left the restaurant hungry. First we were served savory pancakes which appeared to be ok until we came across a number of uncooked prawns. The spring rolls weren't too bad but one each was hardly enough to fill us up. When we got the the barbeque, the raw meat was brought to our table where the cling film was removed and we were told to cook. Unfortunately, the sight of blood and guts spilling out of the severed heads of our king prawns somehow zapped what was left of my appetite.

Despite the horrors of the evening, somehow it managed to take on a comedy element, like Fawlty Towers. Hilarious things kept happening, causing everyone in the restaurant to giggle behind their hands or simply laugh out loud.... such as barbeques refusing to work, home made heat reflectors (kitchen foil over card board) falling off the walls etc. I kept expecting a camera crew to jump out and tell us that we were in a new sketch show!

In closing, I will say that the two girls who run this restaurant are the sweetest people you are ever likely to meet. It is just unfortunate that they just don't realise what a bad experience they are providing.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

...but I couldn't :-(
Came with a friend shortly after it had opened on a set menu and bbq deal. The decor is awful, as is the music...but both can be laughed off in a kitch kind of way!

The food is limited but nice and pretty authentic...however the bbq hot plates were less fun than hoped. On such small tables we ended up covered in spitting, hot cooking oil. Now I'm not squeemish and cook a lot at home but it did get me on the face and all over my nice top. If I want to cover myself in hot fat I can do it at home!
Overall, we had a giggle, but the full price menu seemed a lot for what you got.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

Went with my partner as a spur of the moment thing, when we were handed leaflet menus at the Brimingham food faire. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a 4 foot tall vietnamese battle axe OAP, who did not speak english. She had a very informal and endearing way about her. It later turned out that front of house were late back from said food faire.
Decor was ghastly and giant pictures of food everywhere, decorated with tinsel and fake plants. Reminded me of Halal chicken places... I ordered a starter that resembled prawns in a condom and appeared to be raw, whilst tasting of absolutely nothing. My partner had something that you'd probably find in a chinese take-away, but it was tasty.
For mains I had spicy beef noodle soup, which was absolutely wonderful! I have never tasted soup like that before and would most certainly order it again. My partner had some chicken rice sort of thing with missing chicken. She was not impressed. I asked if they had milk for coffee and they said no. I asked if they had lemons or lemon juice for tea; they did not. Starter took absolute ages to arrive and was swiftly followed by mains in less than five minutes, before we'd even had a chance to eat half of it. I found it particularly endearing that there was no such thing as matching crockery.
Meanwhile, there was a single CD playing in the backgroud, consisting of just three tracks, two of which got stuck about 90 seconds in, thus forcing the staff to skip both. In short, we listened to one track of Vietnam's answer to Barry Manilow over and over and over and over....
Staff were pleasant, but persistently switched between being hunkered down behind enormous bar, so you couldn't get their attention and staring at me whilst I'm eating. They did not acknowledge my departure.
Prices may seem rather steep at £8 for a bowl of soup, but it's completely justified by the sheer size of the portions.

Taking into account the atmosphere, which was homely in it's lack of professionalism, frankly, one bowl of soup is not enough to encourage me back.

1  Thank NS1984
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Took my family along - 4 kids and THE BOSS. Mixture of vegetarian and non vegetarian diners. The location is very central - close to the Law Courts and an NCP car park.

Don't be put off by the decor - loads of plastic and kitsch. However the food was excellent - fresh, hot and really tasty. They do an amazing soup which is their signature dish. In addition, there is a reasonable variety of vegetarian food. Try the spring rolls and also the noodles. We had the vietnamese style tofu which was fabulous. A real treat is the chilli with lemon grass - seriously nice condiment which goes with loads of stuff.

I am pretty sure the vegetarian fare was vegan as well. In addition they do soups with vegetarian stock.

It is definitely worth a visit. Total price per head = £16 for lots to eat + dessert

Reviewed 22 May 2011

We spent our honeymoon in Vietnam, and visited this place while on a weekend away in Birmingham for reminiscing purposes!

The menu is very limited, but authentic. We ordered Pho (soup noodles which are served with herbs, chilli and beensprouts to add to your taste) and summer rolls - if you haven't tried these before, do. They look like spring rolls but are made with fresh ingredients and are not fried.

There was also a BBQ option which most other diners seemed to be having - various meats and seafood delivered to you with a tabletop BBQ so you can cook it yourself. Fun, but smoky!

Not somewhere to have a romantic dinner, or to go with fussy eaters, but fun and good food.

Owners - our one recommendation would be that you consider increasing the menu a bit to cater for more tastes.