“Good(ish) food, but that's as far as it goes...”
Review of Viet An Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Reviewed 23 December 2011

This is a very interesting restaurant. I have to say now that I have not been to Vietnam so I can't comment on how authentic the food is. I also have to say I went on a half price deal which made the whole meal incredibly affordable. Not sure I would have been happy paying full price for the following reasons.

The food was OK. The flavours were good and I did enjoy the starter a lot. However, I found portions on the small side. The main didn't live up to the starter, my chicken was a bit over cooked and had chewy bits in it and the rice was burnt, which was a shame.

The atmosphere wasn't great. Firstly its full of tacky lights and rubbish everywhere. That didn't bother me to be honest, I found it quite fun. However, it was also very very very cold. They did bring out a little heater to put next to the table but it made no difference and by the end of the meal I was sat there in my coat shivering. It was also very dirty... the table cloth was stained in a whole rainbow of colours and to be honest was pretty disgusting with bits of food crusted on to it. The floor was a similar state. My friends and I couldn't help but laugh sitting in this filthy plastic jungle flashing green fairy lights in our face.

Overall, I'm glad I went, the food wasn't bad, and it was a fun experience in a way! However, I wouldn't have paid full price, and I won't be going back.

1  Thank 89kbp

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Decided to try something different plus we had a coupon from an internet site, didn't know what to expect with restaurant or food, when we arrived the décor was so bright and over the top the restaurant is big and cold, their was one other couple when we arrived but otherwise empty.
If your used to the big chain restaurants where the atmosphere and décor are nice and comfortable then this will be a shock to you, my boyfriend joked said it felt raw 'no frills' lol
The waitress was lovely apologised for it being cold and sat us next to the heater, my boyfriend and I weren't to sure how the night would be, we ordered starters spring rolls which were really nice including the dipping sauce, by know around four or five groups of people arrived some of them looked as we did when we arrived lol. For mains I had beef noodle soup well seasoned and so tasty was a big soup bowl so very filling boyfriend had sizzle beef with egg fried rice which he also enjoyed, he then helped me with mine that's how nice it was.
overall we had a pleasant evening and food was really nice as long as u ignore the bright pictures and the cold, and the staff were very nice and helpful, we would visit again

Reviewed 27 November 2011

I`m glad I stumbled upon this place as from the reviews I probably wouldn't have bothered. Yes, the décor is no modern fusion restaurant in Brindley Place but if that's your thing then your welcome to it. From spending a lot of time visiting South East Asia it actually reminded me of some of my favourite cafe/bars in Saigon or Hanoi. The staff are more than friendly and despite it being a blustery Saturday in Brum I thought it was lovely and warm inside. The menu is true to the culture with lots of favourites on offer (pictures for the newbies ;-) I went for the Goi Cuon (fresh spring rolls) which were exceptional with large fresh water prawns, pork and fresh herbs and then a great Pho Ga (chicken noodle soup) with hot sauce to taste. Along with a few Saigon bottled beers the bill came to £16 which I thought more than reasonable for the meal. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants Vietnamese food like the way you would have it in Vietnam. For those who want swanky décor and mass produced British/Asian cuisine you probably need to look elsewhere. Value these places for what they are, real, authentic and a treat for genuine food lovers :-)

Reviewed 21 November 2011

My parter and I purchased a meal at this restaurant from an online daily deal site. I have to say that pretty much everything about my experience at Viet An was laughable. The moment that we walked in everything justs seemed wrong. The decor was awful, there were no other customers and It was freezing.

My partner and I were seated dead cenre of the large empty restaurant. When we mentioned that it was a little chilly we were brought three fan heaters which were placed on three sides of our table and blew hot air at us while we waited. Our food started to come, as did other customers, all couples who had also purchased the deal. As each couple walked through the door we could see the look of shock that must have been apparent on our faces as we had arrived. As for the food, let's just say that I left the restaurant hungry. First we were served savory pancakes which appeared to be ok until we came across a number of uncooked prawns. The spring rolls weren't too bad but one each was hardly enough to fill us up. When we got the the barbeque, the raw meat was brought to our table where the cling film was removed and we were told to cook. Unfortunately, the sight of blood and guts spilling out of the severed heads of our king prawns somehow zapped what was left of my appetite.

Despite the horrors of the evening, somehow it managed to take on a comedy element, like Fawlty Towers. Hilarious things kept happening, causing everyone in the restaurant to giggle behind their hands or simply laugh out loud.... such as barbeques refusing to work, home made heat reflectors (kitchen foil over card board) falling off the walls etc. I kept expecting a camera crew to jump out and tell us that we were in a new sketch show!

In closing, I will say that the two girls who run this restaurant are the sweetest people you are ever likely to meet. It is just unfortunate that they just don't realise what a bad experience they are providing.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

...but I couldn't :-(
Came with a friend shortly after it had opened on a set menu and bbq deal. The decor is awful, as is the music...but both can be laughed off in a kitch kind of way!

The food is limited but nice and pretty authentic...however the bbq hot plates were less fun than hoped. On such small tables we ended up covered in spitting, hot cooking oil. Now I'm not squeemish and cook a lot at home but it did get me on the face and all over my nice top. If I want to cover myself in hot fat I can do it at home!
Overall, we had a giggle, but the full price menu seemed a lot for what you got.