“Always something interesting on.”
Review of Mac Birmingham

Mac Birmingham
Ranked #66 of 293 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Opened in 1962, mac birmingham is a hub of creativity and learning in the Midlands. With four performance auditoria, rehearsal and media studios, a cinema, and a visual art gallery, mac birmingham presents a broad range of contemporary work from both emerging and established artists across genres. mac birmingham is the most visited arts centre in the Midlands and is renowned for its family friendly and inclusive approach. Originally intended for children, the centre now caters for audiences young and old, from the local community and beyond. Re-opened in May 2010 after extensive refurbishment, the arts centre boasts stunning architecture and a high level of accessibility. Set in the magnificent surroundings of Cannon Hill Park and home to the Bridges Bar Café for meals and snacks, and the stylish Arena Bar for evening drinks, the centre is well worth a visit.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 2 August 2014

It's great to be able to call in here and just see what is happening. We have enjoyed the Robert Therrien exhibition (on until 7th Sept 2014), some free music in the foyer, and the art on the walls of the building.
The workshop programme for both children and adults looks great - wish that I had more time here in order to be able to do some of the textile courses!
I'd suggest that the tearooms (on the other side of the park) offers better value and service for food and drink - and it's fun to walk up past the crazy golf to see what is happening there.
I'd recommend this arts centre - plenty going on for everyone!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

A vibrant really alive Arts Centre in the middle of the most gorgeous park. Fantastic location, superb staff and the most amazing exhibition,Black Smoke Rising, by an artist called TimShaw. Stunning and unforgettable! Lucky to be there on the last day of it.
There are many courses being run here, music, theatre, ceramics.
It was really busy there on a Sunday.
Obviously a really popular place.
The park was gorgeous to sit in, beautiful trees, a lake, ducks, geese, very peaceful.
Would visit again with pleasure.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

The food and drink in the cafe is usually very tasty, if a little on the expensive side. However, the customer service in the cafe is appalling. Some staff are rude, disinterested in customers and on my most recent visit I received terrible service from a young ish member of staff who was rude to me when I asked him to complete my drinks order and then compounded this by arguing with me when I asked him what his name was. His reply to the question was 'why, do you want to make a complaint?' The staff need a proper manager and some proper customer service training. Perhaps they also need reminding that no one is forcing them to work there and if they dislike people as much as their demeanour seems to suggest they perhaps ought to look for a job that doesn't involve dealing face to face with the public.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Attended the MAC for a really well thought out study day on Monday. It was excellent. The venue was great the rooms light and airy and conducive to study and learning. The tai chi session after lunch was great and I want to do some more, the tutor was fun and it kept us awake after lunch. The best part was the Side by side acting group who were revolutionary and it was fantastic to see individuals with learning difficulties achieve such an outstanding performance. The food was lovely and we were well catered for with plenty of tea and coffee breaks. Thank you so much I will come back.

Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I've never actually used the arts centre for anything other than food and drink whilst visiting cannon hill park or the nature centre. The food in here is delicious, fresh & reasonably priced, last summer my partner and I shared a ploughman a lunch, it tasted lovely and was very well presented. On our last visit a couple of weeks ago I had potato & leek soup, it was lovely, the chips were hot & crispy & fluffy, and my partner had a fruity granola slice which I think was made there, I almost ate it all! The staff in the bar are polite, helpful and friendly.